bsdPanel: Protocol RFC

X-Istence

Political Access
Currently I have the protocol defined as I think it should be, but I would like to ask for advice from others here on if it makes sense, and what I should clarify more, or change for the sake of simplicity.

Code:
bsdPanel Protocol:

There are two types of users, those that are actual system users, and virtual users that are part of a user
 account, namely a sub-user. Resellers will only create system users with the three letter prefix they got,
 followed by an underscore and then the user of the reseller's username.

Actual system user:

xistence

Reseller (with username doe, will have prefix doe_)

doe_example

sub-user (for domain example.com)

example@example.com (Always has a domain on the end, so there can be multiple example@<domain>'s off course)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Server Side Protocol (What the server may return and how)

Data is good:
+

After the + sign, there can be a line explaining what happened, or what is good. Or if only one line
is to be returned, that is the way to do it. (I will get to the 4 digit codes). // mean comment, and are
 there only for humans debugging the protocol and can be turned off, for more speed.
        + 0001 // User added to system

Data is good, multiple lines coming, data will be terminated by a <CRLF>.<CRLF>:
++

Like the + sign above, this accepts data on the same line, however not in the form of a four digit code
but rather the sub-system that is returning the information, followed by a space and the amount of lines
that are going to be returned. For example the mail system might return what users are under a domain.
        ++ 01 2
        example
        techsupport

Data is bad, or an error occured:
-

The - sign can be followed by a four digit code specifying what error happened. For example if a login
failed, then it will return:
        - 0099 // Login failed

Clients generally do not have to worry about why it failed, but rather note that it failed, and warn the
user of the error with the last issued command.

Each subsystem has it's own identifying code, with room to grow:

00      core
01      mail
02      ftp
03      httpd
04      dns
05      database

This allows plenty of room for other sub-systems that can be integrated, and or modules created for.

The status codes are created as follows:

00 -> 40 Good codes
99 -> 41 Bad codes

I am assuming there will be more bad codes than good codes. Right now, all good codes get created down at
the bottom, and move up. So for example:

0000 = core system, valid user login
0099 = core system, invalid user login
0098 = core system, invalid command

These will have to be clearly defined, it is up to each sub-system to make sure they return the comment to
be sent back to the client when the environment variable PANELDEBUG is set to 1.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Client to Server protocol

This will explain how the client can send commands to the server, and how they will be parsed.

The first thing the client has to send is the login command, which has a simple syntax, it is the only
command besides logout, that does not have to be preceded by what sub-system:

login <username> <password>

login xistence mypassword
        login doe_example examplepassword
        login blah@example.com password

The logout command, simple, quick and easy, it has an alias named quit. They both do the same thing:

logout
quit

All other commands have to be preceded by the sub-system id, for example to create a new system user
(hypothetical, see document in folder docs named SUBSYSTEMS)
        (sub-system id)        (command)        (arguments)
        00                     adduser          xistence        password        nologin

To see what a sub-system has to offer, the function they are required to offer is named help. Help will
limit it's output to what the current logged in user is allowed to do.

00 help

I am going to adding more documents as we go along, either as new posts or as replies to this one, with the exact same question to get people outside of the small group of people working on bsdPanel (only me, and Geffy every so often), and to see what they think about it.

it actually looks pretty good to me, I dont really know what kind of critisim you are looking for. Implementation wise it seems pretty sound

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back