Browser

zeke_mo

(value not set)
Staff member
Political Access
I just got my hands on a used iBook its an older one with OS9.2.2 and I dont want to use IE for the browser....are there any out there like firefox? thanks

Ouch...you're stuck with OS 9?
icon8.gif

Isn't there any way you can install OS X on that thing? It'll be a whole lot more pleasant.

In any case, I believe Mozilla 1.2.1 was the last version released for OS 9. It hasn't been updated since late 2002 though.

I dont think this computer can take it, this is my first mac so I dont know how the OS is related to the processor.....i think its 300Mhz or something with 340MB RAM....could it handle OSX? Thanks

P.S. I think I am becoming a mac person..this is scary...somebody hold me

zeke_mo said:
I dont think this computer can take it, this is my first mac so I dont know how the OS is related to the processor.....i think its 300Mhz or something with 340MB RAM....could it handle OSX? Thanks
I assume it would be too slow, if it could run at all. How much did you buy this thing for anyway?

P.S. I think I am becoming a mac person..this is scary...somebody hold me
You're becoming a "Mac person" after using OS 9 on a 300MHz G3? That is scary.
rofl.gif

upgrading to OSX on the G3/300 will be slow-ish, but i know of many people who have done it and say that it isnt at all that bad. The thing is tho, does your iBook have firewire ports?

NetRyder said:
I assume it would be too slow, if it could run at all. How much did you buy this thing for anyway?

You're becoming a "Mac person" after using OS 9 on a 300MHz G3? That is scary.
rofl.gif

Somebody gave it to me, i dont think i would pay for it.....and yes, it is scary

thekore said:
upgrading to OSX on the G3/300 will be slow-ish, but i know of many people who have done it and say that it isnt at all that bad. The thing is tho, does your iBook have firewire ports?

Yes it has firewire

zeke_mo said:
Somebody gave it to me, i dont think i would pay for it.....and yes, it is scary
Nothing scary about loving FREE computer hardware! :D I would probably dry hump anyone that just gave me a Mac of any kind ... did I just type that?! :eek:

Xie said:
I would probably dry hump anyone that just gave me a Mac of any kind ... did I just type that?! :eek:
Wow, we have some desperate people here, I see.
laugh.gif

wow! crazy stuff in here. I know this is kinda off topic but i think i read somewhere before that pretty soon we can start building custom mac systems. Is this true?

TittleBitties said:
wow! crazy stuff in here. I know this is kinda off topic but i think i read somewhere before that pretty soon we can start building custom mac systems. Is this true?
Haha, I would bet money that it's not true. As Steve Jobs would say - "when hell freezes over" :p

lol...well hell has frozen over but anyway it seems like they would want to make a crap load of more money by doing that. I think thats one of the top reason that alot of people dont switch to mac. O well...done with making the thread off topic.

Hope u have fun with the new mac!!!

TittleBitties said:
lol...well hell has frozen over but anyway it seems like they would want to make a crap load of more money by doing that. I think thats one of the top reason that alot of people dont switch to mac. O well...done with making the thread off topic.
*sorry to continue the offtopic discussion but hopefully this closes it* - building a truely "custom" Mac would involve non-standard hardware that would cause Apple to recompile OSX but also you would lose the stability of an OS build for a single hardware config (yes several versions of Mac hardware but still far less diverse then the x86 world that MS has to deal with).

I would say it should be decent for the speed. Don't expect it to fly, but it will be decent. I have installed Panther on various G3 machines (both iBooks and PowerMac G3 ranging from 300-450 MHz) and they run decently. You also have to understand that when you are dealing with Mac processors (RISC), they perform 2-4 times better than a similar clocked CISC (Pentium). Thus, it is safe to say that your 300 MHz G3 would perform with OSX like a 1.1-1.2 GHz PC running Windows XP.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back