Boot Linux from cd

Originally posted by Geffy
FreeBSD all the way

He is going to have his hands full trying to learn a "n00b" version of Linux let alone BSD!

Originally posted by RabidPenguin
He is going to have his hands full trying to learn a "n00b" version of Linux let alone BSD!
hehe, no better way to learn than jumping right in

Originally posted by Geffy
hehe, no better way to learn than jumping right in

Ahmm, i was the one that got you to go to FreeBSD in the first place ;).

Originally posted by dealer
nope

got the cuse demo on cd downloaded last night, wrote the iso to disc, booted to cd

got xpup and running in no time

I guess I'll download nero, and abstract the files
WTF? I hardly think it will help... This SHOULD work... What bootloader are you running since you must press a button to boot from the cd? Did you burn the ISO right?

Originally posted by Zedric
WTF? I hardly think it will help... This SHOULD work... What bootloader are you running since you must press a button to boot from the cd? Did you burn the ISO right?

no, I'm guessing I did not burn the iso correctly

don't forget...this is all totally new to me;

penguin says I burned the cd incorrectly, so that's why I'll try nero next

my writer is the native software from hp, called record now...pretty basic.

I downloaded nero last nite, and today, I'll re burn the iso as an image.

that's probably my problem, I'll report manana.

WELL, pardon the pun, but I got it SuSSEd

the problem was as the penguin suggested, I had to create an image on cd, and not record the file to cd.

my native cd program was not capable of this, so I had to download nero, and go from there.

this worked fine;

first, I'm surprised at how fast the os was, running off of my cd drive...that was impressive.

here's a great idea for you gurus;

if the kernal cannot recognize a floppy, this would be a great idea to write into this trial os...

I would give it the ability to mount floppy or cd volumes, and then you'd have a fully functional, and savable os, without going the partition route.

cute

if anyone knows how to compile linux, this is a great project

now, I did have a serious problem;

my screen was in a very dark, drab, green maroon color.

almost impossible to read, but I struggled through, thinking this was a safe mode configuration or something, and whe the os was fully loaded, I expeced to have full color on my monitor.

this never happened.

any ideas what's wrong with my display when in this os kernal?th

I'm assuming it has something to do with what the read me says, that this version may have trouble detecting hardware...I'll look into that

ps...thanx everybody for this good fun

now all I need to do is figure out how to increase the size of the pagefile on this linux os, and I'll be a very happy camper...(it's a joke)

Originally posted by X-Istence
Ahmm, i was the one that got you to go to FreeBSD in the first place ;).
Yes and I thank you, you have also taught me almost everything I know about FreeBSD, I tried Redhat, didnt like it, tried mandrake years ago, killed my hard drives never tried since, tried Debian, fk knows what was up with that one. FreeBSD, I personally, find more easy to understand, and now that I know about the ports collection much better than the linux distros.
Also X-Istence, which mail transfer agent, and mail (pop3) server would you recommend?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back