Boot from CD failed

glad you're up an running infinite, i am surprised, but also personally apprehensive, i don't think it's the cd itself though, or the drive, because, a couple of months later, there were messages at boot coming up at post like corrupted cmos, cmos batttery low, system memory has changed, etc, press F1 to continue, F2 to enter setup, etc.
when i pressed continue, it was causing errors and complications with anything time related on the system, and even though i pondered the life span of a cmos battery being 7yrs, i replaced the battery (dimension 4100 wer made around year 2000, purchased AFTER millenium bug scare, winxp install 2002).

i never did get the chance to test my theory as i had used my own ram to test his system, and took it back out again, and because he was a bit of a tight git, he never bought any new ram and didnt even throw me a few quid for my exhaustive efforts (i can look bak on it now and laff, but at the time, i tell ya... lol :) so i never bothered doing anything for him after that, and i'd say even now the computer is just sitting there, disguised as an oversize paperweight!

Well, I called up Microsoft and they asked me if I was trying to reinstall it on the computer the CD came with. I told them "yes," that the reinstallation CD (that I got with my laptop) came with the computer I was reinstalling WinXP to (my old desktop). They said the activation codes should match and that I would have to contact Dell for an "explanation" of how the code is supposed to work.

It's not a big deal. Even without the activation code the install had given me problems, it would occasionally freeze up completely (forcing me to restart manually).

Live and learn. *shrug*

Psyborg said:
glad you're up an running infinite, i am surprised, but also personally apprehensive, i don't think it's the cd itself though, or the drive, because, a couple of months later, there were messages at boot coming up at post like corrupted cmos, cmos batttery low, system memory has changed, etc, press F1 to continue, F2 to enter setup, etc.
when i pressed continue, it was causing errors and complications with anything time related on the system, and even though i pondered the life span of a cmos battery being 7yrs, i replaced the battery (dimension 4100 wer made around year 2000, purchased AFTER millenium bug scare, winxp install 2002).

i never did get the chance to test my theory as i had used my own ram to test his system, and took it back out again, and because he was a bit of a tight git, he never bought any new ram and didnt even throw me a few quid for my exhaustive efforts (i can look bak on it now and laff, but at the time, i tell ya... lol :) so i never bothered doing anything for him after that, and i'd say even now the computer is just sitting there, disguised as an oversize paperweight!

Heh, sorry about your friend there. This is all my own doing. I should have taken it as a sign when the computer didn't want to boot from the CD-ROM not to do anything.

Up until this point this computer has given me hardly any trouble. It came with 98, was upgraded to Me, and then XP. Aside from a minor hiccup with MS Office during the last upgrade, the software and hardware have run suberbly. As long as it has UT99, Word, and an internet connection it suits me just fine for now. :D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back