BETA TEST: Active Desktop Tutorial

Bingo! Here's what worked:

Dim oShell
Set oShell = WScript.CreateObject ("WScript.shell")
oShell.run "C:\Sierra\Counter-strike\cstrike.exe"
Set oShell = Nothing

and for windows explorer:

Dim oShell
oShell.run "%SystemRoot%\explorer.exe"
Set oShell = Nothing

Easy enough. :)

You know, that is much easier than creating a shortcut, why didn't I ever think of doing it that way?

Though, I am going to leave the tutorial as is, I think it might be harder to explain to just put the path instead of the name of the shortcut. What do you think?

Posted by madmatt
What do you think?
You're neat. :)

Whatever you think the better way would be. It was pretty simple for me to do it this way. However, it may be easier for others the other way.

hmmm. I suppose hard coding the path into the VBS file would be better. I will make that change.

Thanks for pointing that out to me Case__.

well, nevermind, I won't make that change. while attempting to set this up on my system, I received an error: "The system cannot find the file specified."

*shrug* I will leave it as is.

First screenie of a work in progress. Something went screwy with the on screen fonts when I did a print screen. But, you get the picture. Here is a scaled down version which you can click to see the full version (56k warning). I just threw a background image together real quick and the colors don't quite mesh. I will make it nicer to post in the main forum. And I will be playing around with some more stuff on it. :)

I also need to get rid of that Recycle Bin and see if I can add it to the "Neat Control Center" :)

good start Cas__. lovin' that dtop picture. =)

I thought you would. ;) :D

Did you notice what it says in the "notes"?

only the truth, right? =)

so nobody else is going to check out this tutorial? nobody is going to look for spelling mistakes for me? *hmph*

guess I will ready it for launch..

Posted by xsivforce
Bingo! Here's what worked:

Dim oShell
oShell.run "C:\Sierra\Counter-strike\cstrike.exe"
Set oShell = Nothing
Wanted to update. Doing it the above way works on some things and not on others. So, using the shortcut method that matt___ mentioned would be the first thing to try. If for some reason the shortcut method doesn't work, try the other way. Still tweaking it. I will try to finish it up when I get home so I can up a screenie when this is thrown upon the masses.

I am writting a program that will do the following:

Two fields
- Path to .EXE/file
- Name of shortcut

Two buttons
- Finish
- Cancel

When 'Finish' is clicked, the program will automatically create the shortcut and .VBS file and place them in C:\WINDOWS.

Easy enough? Come on, clap.

well I didnt get time to finish mine yesterday... got solitaire to launch :D Will play with it today and hopefully comeup with a kick ass active dtop. :)

I am hoping to go live with the tutorial by week's end.
Should have the program done by Sunday.

Going to port it to HTML and have EP post it as an article. I will setup a help thread (official of course) and answer questions there.

Sound good?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back