backup users home dir

A

alvarow

Hello, my system is in a unbootable state (blue screen at boot) and booting from CD and running repair doesn't help either. So I want to fresh install it, *but* I need to backup the users home directories first, I already done
that booting in Linux copying all Documents and Settings folders.

Now, how do I let the new install know about those directories?
(I have not formatted yet, I am waiting on your input)

thanks

Qumahlin

OSNN Veteran Addict
I don't believe you can do a clean install where XP will restore user settings like that. Wen you said you tried a repair did you try the repair suggestions like fixboot and such or did you do a repair install where it actually replaces most of the core system files and such?

O

open_source

After installing XP log on using the exact same usernames and passwords. After doing this with each just replace the newly created user directories with the old.

It works with NT 4 and W2k. Have not tried it in XP yet.

Qumahlin

OSNN Veteran Addict
Originally posted by open_source
After installing XP log on using the exact same usernames and passwords. After doing this with each just replace the newly created user directories with the old.

It works with NT 4 and W2k. Have not tried it in XP yet.
Hmm never tried that, must remember for the future :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Poseeut