ATI AIW 9800 Pro 128 - Video keeps blowing....

thepainter

OSNN Newbie
I have been using the ATI AIW 9800 Pro 128 for two months and have captured hours of video and burned to DVD.

Last week I pluged the video jack into the purple input as usual and I got this Vvvvvooooopppppp sound and the screen went black.

I rebooted and there was no video for the TV, composite or S-video .... just audio.

I returned the card and was sent another with a note saying that the card was defective.

I installed it and it looked fine. My TV channels were added - everything was set up.

I plugged in the video jack and everything went black again!!!! (no Vvvvvooooopppppp this time)

I contacted ATI today and they never heard of this before. They are sending me another card with a new purple input cable.

I'm afraid to plug the video in again. Could it be the cable - or two bad cards in a row, or..............?

Any comments?????

Thanks,

Dave

Not having an AIW I have no idea which purple cable you are talking about. More details of what you are doing are needed.
-Video jack for what from what to what? TV to Card? Camcorder to card?

If you are plugging in another device (camcorder, TV, etc) they can have:
- Incompatible grounding system (negative vs positive).
- The device you are pluging in could be set for too high an output voltage. Did you ever use it successfully?
- You could be zapping it with static electricity. Touch the cases and yourself together before plugging in cables (wool sweaters are hell around electronics).

Now the stupid questions...
-Are you sure you are plugging video into video and not mixing it up with sound or something else. The voltage levels will be different.
-Have you checked that whatever you are conencting is compatible wit the AIW?

I am doing what I have a hundred times before to capture video.

THe purple cable as they are on all the AIW cards I have seen is the one that goes to the Audio/Video Input. It has one video (yellow) and two audio (red & white) female. I plug the cable that came with my camera into these. Only now when I plug in the video the card blows.

LeeJend said:
Not having an AIW I have no idea which purple cable you are talking about. More details of what you are doing are needed.
-Video jack for what from what to what? TV to Card? Camcorder to card?

If you are plugging in another device (camcorder, TV, etc) they can have:
- Incompatible grounding system (negative vs positive).
- The device you are pluging in could be set for too high an output voltage. Did you ever use it successfully?
- You could be zapping it with static electricity. Touch the cases and yourself together before plugging in cables (wool sweaters are hell around electronics).

Now the stupid questions...
-Are you sure you are plugging video into video and not mixing it up with sound or something else. The voltage levels will be different.
-Have you checked that whatever you are conencting is compatible wit the AIW?

Back to static electricity blowing the card or the camera output may be hosed. Make sure the computer and camera (if not on battery) have their ground wires intact. And touch the PC case before making the conenctions.

Is the camera on it's own battery power or is it using a plug in power adapter when the cards fried? A bad power adapter could be to blame.

No, it happens just inserting the cable with no camera hooked up to it.
I'm thinking it must be the ATI supplied input cable.

LeeJend said:
Back to static electricity blowing the card or the camera output may be hosed. Make sure the computer and camera (if not on battery) have their ground wires intact. And touch the PC case before making the conenctions.

Is the camera on it's own battery power or is it using a plug in power adapter when the cards fried? A bad power adapter could be to blame.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back