Apple's "Don't Give Up on Vista" Ad

its one thing to say you have a better product but its another to insult the users of the product you are trying to compete with and draw them to you. Apple has always come across in a condescending and "cheap" fashion.

I don't like these ads much either. Advertising is at its best when it makes you go "Hey, those are some amazing features! I want/need that!"

Apple seems to have built its userbase around "all the cool kids have our product". These ads are the converse of that statement. Rather than the old ad methods that merely imply that not using Apple products make you uncool, this one comes out and abrasively says "WHAT YOU HAVE SUCKS". They're basically trolling their potential customers, and it's ineffective at best.

I found this thread after reading and article http://www.tomsguide.com/us/2007/11/22/more_leopard_problems_plague_apple/
about the large about of leopard problems, one severe enough that loses data with a very simple and used frequently task, moving data from partitions or other hard drives.

10.5.1 fixes this problem you mention.

It also fixes certain parts of the firewall, and make it clearer to the user.

10.5.1 was released 20 days after 10.5 was released, meaning Apple acknowledged, developed fixes for and pushed out an update in that time frame.

10.5.1 was released 20 days after 10.5 was released, meaning Apple acknowledged, developed fixes for and pushed out an update in that time frame.

:eek: and they didn't have to wait for the next patch tuesday to push it.... *runs*

No, they push it out right away for fear of a fanboy riot. Apple doesn't want to have their fan/user base sitting at the internet cafe all smug with their half caf latte and have their nice shinny white new Mac Book take a dump and have an actual "Blue Screen" pop up while sitting next to some nobody Windows user. That would be just to much to bear. They might actually spit up their Latte. :eek:

Last edited:
:eek: and they didn't have to wait for the next patch tuesday to push it.... *runs*

To be fair, I don't think Vista had any issues with deleting user data (could be wrong) but I am sure such critical flaws would be quickly patched before the scheduled patch dates. A few patches have hit windowsupdate before these dates if they have had to be rushed out.

Other than the odd click of the mouse on a mac I don't know anything about them and all their adverts do is slate Windows so I have no idea why a Mac would be better other than its shiny, they don't even talk about their own products.

this is a very good point.... I'm a long time mac user and the thing that has bothered me about so much of their advertising is that they don't even actually describe any of the differences (with the exception of the original iPhone ads) - they need to do the same with the mac ads - something like the original iPhone ads - clearly and simply demonstrating the OS. If not many people will continue to labor under 20 year old stereotypes - "odd click of the mouse on a mac"??? i think you might be recounting the era when macs shipped with one-button mouses... the cntl key initiated the right click... but even so - you could just plug in any normal mouse and it would work fine. don't worry, macs click the same way as windows machines - left click & right click for contextual menus...

To be fair, I don't think Vista had any issues with deleting user data (could be wrong) but I am sure such critical flaws would be quickly patched before the scheduled patch dates. A few patches have hit windowsupdate before these dates if they have had to be rushed out.

It was a rather tongue in t'cheek comment of course. So far my main gripe with Vista is the "Control Panel" part of the interface. I would love its search box to actually know the old names for things so you could type "add remove programs" or something in and it would show you the "Programs" item in the view. Sort of how Mac OS X System Preferences will highlight "Desktop and Screen Saver" if you type "wallpaper", which is the Windows style name for it, into the search box. Thats the only gripe, I feel slightly alienated in that before I could easily direct people around the interface to solve problems over the phone whether it was Windows 98 or Windows XP but now I don't know where anything is.

Odd how any thread about Macs brings in Windows people, threads about Windows seem to bring in a sniping comment from a Mac user and threads like this get totally derailed.

Thread title is about Vista actually and it isn't in the apple section :)

I have issues with Vista too, the control panel stuff reminds me of one, but I hardly think not leaving legacy items in there is one - a learning curve is expected, there was one with XP and I definately think it was bigger.

It seems all folder views are somehow linked,
I want my control panel to have a smaller icon view, so I change it and everything changes.
I want my games window to have big pretty icons and then suddenly everything gets big icons.

I also have an issue with the search in vista never actually finding anything I want, but I think I need to sit down and configure it correctly, but at the end of the day why should I have to? Just today, I wanted to run Steam.exe - a simple .exe file in program files. It not only couldn't run it, which I was hoping - but couldn't even find anything called steam on my pc - which is also the name of the folder.

Ultimate extras - har! Nothing there I want anyway.

Vista isn't perfect, but it isn't exactly crap either.

I think you touched a nerve. Geffy is mad!

I think you touched a nerve.
Which nerve? Did your knee bounce?

... Apple is in the thread title too :p

I don't think I ever said Vista was crap, just that it annoys me. Something nearly every Windows version has been able to do *runs*

wonder how they've hidden C:\Windows\System32\usrannoy.dll

I have to say I'm a fan of both XP and Vista - don't know much about Macs (EP and his mouse knowledge knows more than I do), however these adverts crack me up every single time. I love the quote from the one above so much I linked to the video in my sig!

the whole mouse clicks and the close window is on the left side, i think its a red blob.

I deleted usrannoy.dll and everything is fine now.

I deleted usrannoy.dll and everything is fine now.

w00t

Everything else aside I really like the Mac vs PC add with the PR Person, I like how she is able to turn things around so well. Like "Upgrading to an older more familiar experience" :p or the more suited version "Upgrading to an older more familiar xp-erience.org"

personally, I prefer the os that's cheapest with the most programs available and I'm pretty sure that's the only reason pc is more pervasive then the macs

Why aren't you running Linux then?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back