Apple Store, Birmingham

SPeedY_B

I may actually be insane.
The Apple Store in Birmingham (UK) has now opened it's doors, apparently there was a launch event to tie in with the release of Tiger, I had no idea until yesterday when walking past to see a rather full store (was quite literally, packed) so after some lunch, a friend and I took a visit and I picked up a copy of iLife '05 and had a quick wander round checking out all the stuff we couldn't afford :p

They have a real nice dual 30" set-up in there, pretty much one of each machine they sell, and a corner with iMac G5's loaded with kids games to keep them occupied while you shop :D

It's going to be handy having an official Apple Store so close (before this the closest one was a 3hour-ish drive away!).

p.s. Enyo, you're doomed! :p

iPhoto5, unbelievably fast compared to previous versions I'd had (v4.x I guess) and some nice (yet still simple, it's not trying to be PS) editing options for touching up images.

iMovie HD, video creation, supports High Def.

iDVD, DVD authoring.

Garagaband2, had fun playing with this, a friend bought round an Edirol PCR-30, post driver install, and reboot (grr!) Garageband had no problem recognising it without being told to. Only took us a few minutes to get some filthy distorted kick drums and squeaky noises out of Garageband... good fun and probably worth the money on it's own! :D

iTunes 4.7 .... it's iTunes. :p

You can probably tell I only really wanted GB2 and iPhoto, but iMovieHD will get some use later in the year, however I will admit iDVD will probably never be touched :p

More info here: http://www.apple.com/uk/ilife/

SPeedY_B said:
p.s. Enyo, you're doomed! :p

:eek: Shall check it out next weekend maybe. When are you going to come and *try* to convert me?

Pffft, try.

Ehm, whenever really. Could possibly even do next weekend (not 100% sure I'll be free though). We'll sort something out :)

Will pay it a visit some time soon to salivate over all the icandy :p

MdSalih

SPeedY is that the one they were talking about in all the Tiger stories where people in queue were blocking the stores next to the apple store as the lined up into the street?

It didn't open untill 6pm on friday, I was on my way to a training course at 8am on the friday morning, and there where already two 'sad' people queued up! dunno why i got an email about it and they where giving away where free t-shirts!

That was the one in London. Would imagine there was quite a queue outside this one too though, there were barriers etc up outside.

Even though I had Tiger pre-ordered I should have stopped @ my Apple store in the mall to see how much of mess it caused. :p

Don't get too used to calling it "Tiger" Did you hear about the lawsuit? Tiger Direct is saying that they own the copyright on that and that since Apple started advertising OS "X" (and yes, I mean that as the letter, becaue I know how much it irritates you Apple freaks..) they have lost position on search engines. We will see....

thought iTunes was free anyway

afaik you cant hold patent on a common language word. There is a guy called Leo Stoller who tries to do a similar thing with the word STEALTH. Take a look at stealthat.com for more info

Un4gIvEn1 said:
Don't get too used to calling it "Tiger" Did you hear about the lawsuit? Tiger Direct is saying that they own the copyright on that and that since Apple started advertising OS "X" (and yes, I mean that as the letter, becaue I know how much it irritates you Apple freaks..) they have lost position on search engines. We will see....
Yeah I have and a Google search proves that indeed no damage has been done. Unless of course Apple had a hand in making sure the animal got ranked higher then Tiger Direct. :p

Un4gIvEn1 said:
OH NOES!!!!! IM ALL IRRITATED NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!111oneoneoneeight. Saying the letter X as a letter is supposed to annoy people? Really?

Anyway, It's a bit late for Tiger Direct to be claiming they own the word Tiger, OS 10.4 has been in development for quite some time and they chose to pipe up only when it was released? Idiots. I'm sure what Geffy said applies, not to mention Apple quite probably have a better handful of lawyers on their side should it progress any further.

... In other news, it would be nice to have an Apple store in Newcastle ... :)

...right! carry on you psychotic monkeys!...

Some pics of the Birmingham store opening: here, and the Tiger launch in london: here

SPeedY_B said:
Anyway, It's a bit late for Tiger Direct to be claiming they own the word Tiger, OS 10.4 has been in development for quite some time and they chose to pipe up only when it was released? Idiots. I'm sure what Geffy said applies, not to mention Apple quite probably have a better handful of lawyers on their side should it progress any further.
Yeah they did wait a bit. Also when this story hit /. several days ago it was pointed out that Tiger Direct is currently in poor standing with BBB (Better Business Bureau). Interesting when business is down lawsuit appear *cough*SCO*cough*.

*Edit* - BBB link

At the short hills mall, the Apple store was supposedly packed as well. The entire mall was filled.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back