Apple Releases First Intel-based Macs

muzikool

Act your wage.
Political Access
Apple announced its first Intel-based Mac computers today at Macworld San Francisco. The iMac and new MacBook Pro laptop are the first to receive the new Intel processors. This is a pretty big deal, perhaps someone can post it on the front page.

iMac
17 inch: 1.83GHz Intel Core Duo - $1299
17-inch widescreen LCD with 1440x900 resolution
1.83GHz Intel Core Duo processor with 2MB shared L2 cache
512MB (single SO-DIMM) 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM (PC2-5300)
160GB Serial ATA hard drive
Slot-load 8x double-layer SuperDrive
ATI Radeon X1600 graphics with 128MB GDDR3 memory
Built-in AirPort Extreme and Bluetooth 2.0

20-inch: 2.0GHz Intel Core Duo - $1699
20-inch widescreen LCD with 1680x1050 resolution
2.0GHz Intel Core Duo processor with 2MB shared L2 cache
250GB Serial ATA hard drive

MacBook Pro
1.67 Intel Core Duo - $1999
Ships: February
15.4-inch TFT display with 1440x900 resolution
1.67GHz Intel Core Duo processor with 2MB shared L2 Cache
667MHz frontside bus
80GB 5400rpm Serial ATA hard drive
Slot-load SuperDrive (DVD±RW/CD-RW)
ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 with 128MB GDDR3 memory
iLife 06

1.83 Intel Core Duo - $2499
Ships: February
15.4-inch TFT display with 1440x900 resolution
1.83GHz Intel Core Duo processor with 2MB shared L2 Cache
667MHz frontside bus
1GB (single SO-DIMM) 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM (PC2-5300)
100GB 5400rpm Serial ATA hard drive
Slot-load SuperDrive (DVD±RW/CD-RW)
ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 with 256MB GDDR3 memory
iLife 06

muzikool said:
Apple announced its first Intel-based Mac computers today at Macworld San Francisco. The iMac and new MacBook Pro laptop are the first to receive the new Intel processors. This is a pretty big deal, perhaps someone can post it on the front page.

iMac
20-inch: 2.0GHz Intel Core Duo - $1699
20-inch widescreen LCD with 1680x1050 resolution
2.0GHz Intel Core Duo processor with 2MB shared L2 cache
250GB Serial ATA hard drive

Woo! This is what I have been waiting on for a while now. All I have to do now is sit back and wait for either the rev2 or rev3 iMac and I will be purchasing one :D

sean.ferguson said:
Woo! This is what I have been waiting on for a while now. All I have to do now is sit back and wait for either the rev2 or rev3 iMac and I will be purchasing one :D

Why wait? If there's a problem then it will be covered under warranty. I'd also be buying AppleCare at the end of the first year anyway. I'd get extended warranty on any machine that had the display built-in to the computer -- so the iMac qualifies.

Worst-case scenario: you get a lemon that will end up getting you an upgrade for free. ;)

muzikool said:
Why wait?

Well, potential issues isnt the only reason I want to wait. I want to see what will come of rev.2 whether it gets faster, or simply just a price drop.
I dont want to buy a rev.1 and find its a lemon either to have to send it back and do without something I paid for and was looking forward to so much to be without it for a few weeks.

I actually started a thread about revision problems in the MacRumors forums a while back. Obviously I got differing opinions, but the overwhelming response was that any revision can have problems, or no problems. A Rev. A might be fine while a Rev. B might introduce severe issues.

Speaking of which, I have a Rev. A PowerMac G5 and I've never had a single issue with it. :)

If you could really use the iMac now then I say get it. If you can go without it for a while, then waiting isn't a big deal.

Piss! No iBooks, I kind of wanted a PowerBook, ehm "MacBook", but don't have the money for one at the moment. Guess I'll have to wait a few months. :(

SPeedY_B said:
Piss! No iBooks, I kind of wanted a PowerBook, ehm "MacBook", but don't have the money for one at the moment. Guess I'll have to wait a few months. :(

My hopes definitely got built-up with all the iBook rumors. That's what I get, I guess. "Patience" is the word.

I think I'm going to get a Macbook anyway, they're perfectly viable as desktop replacements, and I can still use my 2405FPW with it. I don't know, bit broke at the moment, so we'll see how things are in a few months (Around March) :)

With any luck the iBooks might be converted over to intel, but hopefully not converted over to the MacBook name. just saying "my ibook" it just rolls nicer than "my macbook". The sounds just arent as soft.

I'd love the MacBook as well. No way I can afford it anytime soon, though.

Also, I kind of like the idea of a smaller, more portable, laptop. The rumored 13.x" widescreen iBook sounded perfect.

Geffy said:
With any luck the iBooks might be converted over to intel, but hopefully not converted over to the MacBook name. just saying "my ibook" it just rolls nicer than "my macbook". The sounds just arent as soft.
iMac G5 + Intel = iMac
PowerBook + Intel = MacBook Pro

My guess would be:

iBook + Intel = iBook
PowerMac + Intel = Macintosh Pro (Not the MacMac Pro :p)
Mac Mini + Intel = Mac Mini.

They would be my predictions for the new names anyway.

muzikool said:
I'd love the MacBook as well. No way I can afford it anytime soon, though.

Also, I kind of like the idea of a smaller, more portable, laptop. The rumored 13.x" widescreen iBook sounded perfect.

my thoughts exactly...was so waiting to hear about the iBook...my tax refund is probably going to one of them!!!

Apple has no intention of stopping us from loading Windows

Canoe News

Phil Schiller, Apple's senior vice-president of worldwide product marketing, said in an interview Tuesday that the company won't sell or support Windows itself, but also hasn't done anything to preclude people from loading Windows onto the machines themselves.

"That's fine with us. We don't mind," Schiller said. "If there are people who love our hardware but are forced to put up with a Windows world, then that's OK."

Yes yes, everyone knows. Windows runs on intel, it's not a big deal.

You'll be hard pressed to get XP on there though, got to wait for Vista before even trying.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back