Apple iPod Settlement

muzikool

Act your wage.
Political Access
For anyone* with complaints about the iPod's battery performance.

Apple Offers $50 Credit for iPod Batteries
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) -- Andrew Westley had high hopes for his iPod, when he purchased the digital music player in 2001 and loaded more than five hours' worth of music for a cross-country flight. But the music died before the San Francisco attorney reached the East Coast - despite claims by Apple Computer Inc. that a fully charged iPod would play continuously for eight or more hours. Disappointed, Westley called a consumer rights attorney and later became one of eight people who sued the computer maker in 2003 over the iPod's battery failures.

As part of a tentative settlement announced this week, Apple agreed to give $50 vouchers and extended service warranties to as many as 2 million customers whose older iPods had batteries that needed to be replaced or didn't fully charge.

"I like Apple's products. I want to own their products and have confidence they stand buy their products," said Westley, 45, who also owns an iMac and volumes of Apple software. "This settlement helps me have confidence again that if I'm going to sink a bunch of money into their stuff, they'll do the right thing."

The settlement applies to consumers nationwide who bought versions of the digital music player through May 2004. Last year, Apple changed its iPod and now advertises battery life of up to 12 hours for its 20-gig model.

Cupertino, Calif.-based Apple confirmed the settlement agreement Thursday but would not comment.

Sales of the iPod have soared since its debut in 2001. With some versions of the device costing $400, the iPod has been a windfall for Apple.

According to the settlement's terms, people who fill out a claim form are entitled to receive $50 redeemable toward the purchase of any Apple products or services except iTunes downloads or iTunes gift certificates. They can redeem the voucher within 18 months of final settlement approval at any bricks-and-mortar Apple Store or online.

Consumers who had battery troubles can also get their battery or iPod replaced. Apple sells replacement batteries for $99, and it also replaces or repairs defective products that are returned within one year. The class-action settlement, if approved by a judge later this summer, extends the warranty to two years.

Consumers who file a claim must have a receipt.

Full Story

Settlement Terms

*No anti-Apple or anti-iPod replies, please.*

Here's a bit more information for those who think they might have claims.

I. DEFINITIONS
The following defined terms are used in this Settlement and this Notice.
• First Generation iPod: First Generation iPods (iPod) are white and have a mechanical scroll wheel that physically turns and a Firewire port with no cover.
• Second Generation iPod: Second Generation iPods (iPod Touchwheel) are white and have a touchwheel that does not physically turn and a Firewire port with a cover.
• Third Generation iPod: Third Generation iPods (iPod with Dock Connector) are white and have a touchwheel that does not physically turn, a horizontal row of control buttons, and a dock connector.
• “Battery Failure” means that the capacity of an iPod’s battery to hold an electrical charge has dropped to four hours or less of continuous audio playback, with earbuds attached, with respect to the Third Generation iPod, or five hours or less of continuous audio playback, with earbuds attached, with respect to the First Generation iPod and the Second Generation iPod.

Complete Notice (PDF)

Wow man... so this is what you're doing at "work"? You get paid for this? I feel trapped in an endless void of lies.

n0d3 said:
Wow man... so this is what you're doing at "work"? You get paid for this? I feel trapped in an endless void of lies.

It's called a total of half an hour paid breaks. :p

so i "broke" my ipod 2 weeks ago and i did an RMA thing online at apple.com and im waiting for them to send the box in which im suppose to return it in. errrr they said it got shipped may 21st and there's still no sign of it

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
junebutlertd
Back