AOL under Win x64..Has anyone successfully installed?

cove3

OSNN Newbie
AOL 9.0 won't install under Windows x64. Can't connect

After much spinning of wheels, I've concluded that AOL 9.0, although it will install under Win 64, can't connect to the internet, giving a message to that effect upon loading. However one can browse mail and do all functions not involving http requests.
AOL tech support is vastly confused on this and had me reinstalling win x64, running webutil, defragging, etc all to no avail. I've concluded it's in the way 9.0 uses it's own modified IE 6.0 browser.
I was hoping that the AOL beta browser for x64 might solve this. I downloaded it and it does work stand alone just as Internet Explorer or Firebox would, but it was of no help it letting me get to it upon launching 9.0 and I'm wondering what it provides that IE, Firefox etc doesn't.
1. Is the above correct....AOL 9.0 does not work under Win x64?
2. There is no way to integrate the beta 64 bit browser into 9.0?
3. Shouldn't AOL provide some guidance for people buying AMD/Intel 64 bit systems with some forward looking statement about this. I bought Win x64 operating system with my system. If AOL 9.0 won't work with it now & for an indefinite time, it's a showstopper for me as AOL along with Power Tools is my key interface to the internet. I have 4 years invested in cataloguing web sites and using Power Tools Phase Editor to structure various text and can't make a change away from AOL & Power Tools.
I've got to make a strategic choice whether to forget Win x64 and revert back to Win XP before I go any further installing other applications (all of which work okay so far) and cutting over to my new system. Without guidance from AOL, I'm flying blind.
Thanks & regards,
Ron

Last edited:
Success. Turns out the latest AOL cd-rom install did not install a 64bit winminiport, so it means no 64 bit driver was available to connect to the internet.

AOL 9.0 installs AOL Connectivity Service (ACS) 3.0 from the cd-rom. I was told to download a Beta ACS 4.0. When I did this, I was able to connect to the internet and both AOL 8.0 and 9.0 are now working well under Win x64.

Regards, Ron

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back