AOL Thailand Beta

L

Lee

Well if you didn't know, Thailand Beta is AOL's version 9.

I have been a beta tester for about 5 months now. 3 beta's ago I could use the dialer feature, but could not log on using the software. Since then I stuck to AOL 8.

AOL 8 works fine. The latest beta, well I find it odd as they reckons they're going to have the first release mid March for AOL 9. I was wondering if anyone else has had severe problems with Thailand Beta?

Is there going to be a mid March working release, ne1 know?

I am testing for them too and the first cd i got sucked money balls. My internet wouldnt connect fast and it was just sucky. I just went back to aol 9.0. Why would u go back to 8.0? Is that the only cd u have?

TittleBitties said:
I am testing for them too and the first cd i got sucked money balls. My internet wouldnt connect fast and it was just sucky. I just went back to aol 9.0. Why would u go back to 8.0? Is that the only cd u have?

This is funniest thing Ive read all day lol :D

Your the funniest lookin person i seen in my life...Ha ha jk i unno what u look. :)

Anyone using AOL is a beta tester.

Drop that garbage ISP, even earthlink is better [not by much].

nowt wrong with it :p

I used it for 3 year, it served me well

come on lets here what you think is so bad about AOL ?????

l22.gif

ffs j79zlr Im not reading all that
LMAO :p

can you be a more specific ?
in laymans terms *no gobbledeegook plz *

a18.gif

ok so I read it all

thats the biggest load of BS I've read in a while

uploading 125 megabytes of information to your computer for advertising and cached web pages

not true
can an AOL user plz tell us what thier current cache size is

Why then are there 15 or more IP addresses showing up with the FREE chat without the AOL software.

if they dont have the answers ~ how the hell they comment on it ?

why would you use AOL IM and have them splash ads in your face all day

not true
AIM has 1 small ad
it blends in & is hardly noticeable

A typical week on a system without AOL can get an average of 14 pieces of spyware on there system with just normal web surfing.
With AOL the average is 92 in one day

not true
can an AOL user run adaware & tell us how much spyware they have after a day of normal surfing plz

How about all that SPAM you receive daily in your AOL email inbox

not true
spam is filtered out before the user gets mail

Without the AOL software on your machine your surfing experience will be twice the speed and you will be able to get to all web sites

not true
quite a few sites for me wouldnt open with IE but would with AOL
themexp for one when it was having trouble
also AOL compresses images making loading time quicker in most cases

Did you know that they disconnect you even on broadband after a certain amount of time

not true
on dialup the longest I spent online without a break was 7 days
AOL never said a word

AOL believes in one thing only getting all the money it can out of you

FFS what kind of statement is that tell me one company that isnt driven by profits
and I'll show you a complete set of losers

c3.gif

dude, if you don't want to face fact then don't, all I can do is give you the information. AOL uses a VPN connection instead of a normal TCP/IP stack so they can monitor your activity. This is very easy to verify. I have fixed PCs with AOL that has a LSP chain error so the TCP stack was damaged, couldn't connect on my LAN, but could dial in with AOL.

How big is AOL 9.0, 80MB compressed? How is all that **** necessary for a DSL connection? Cable connection? I don't have to install anything to use my ISP.

Whats up with the smug 'next' comment. Do you really think you're better because you use AOL? What are you, 3 or 73?

Question, whats the advantage of paying double or triple for worse service, ads in your browser, and the perception [or reality] that you have no idea what you are doing?

LMFAO

dude, if you don't want to face fact then don't
I cant face facts cos there are none

VPN TCP/IP LSP STACK ????????????
wot did I say *no gobbledeegook plz *

How big is AOL 9.0, 80MB compressed?
how big is IE & outlook & Virus Scanner & popup stopper & IM client not far of 80 meg I'll bet
image compression can be turned off in the options

I don't have to install anything to use my ISP.
your point being ?

Do you really think you're better because you use AOL
I dont use AOL ~ I use Nildram
I think Im better cos I dont fall for anti AOL propoganda

What are you, 3 or 73?
Im 37 how old are U

whats the advantage of paying double or triple for worse service
ask the millions of people who are happy with AOL

ads in your browser
wot ads there are none in the browser
someone get us a screenshot of the browser plz

you have no idea what you are doing?
typical stereo type of an AOL user
I say you have no idea what you are doing
falling for anti AOL propoganda

:mad:

whatever, VPN = virtual private networking, TCP = transmission control protocol. I have made alot of money removing viruses from AOL infected computers running AOL 9.0 thinking it was protecting them.

Everytime you sign on to AOL you have an ad shoved in your face and you have to click "No thanks" before you can proceed, that is just assinine.

AOL'S BROWSER IS INTERNET EXPLORER

Its not Anti AOL propoganda, AOL is garbage. They monitor your online activity and direct your searches to sites they think you should go to, block sites "they" think you shouldn't view, charge $23.95 for dial up access that you could easily get for atleast half of that with minimal looking.

You keep saying anti-AOL propoganda, but I am giving you facts, I want some facts to backup your claims, "untrue" just doesn't cut it for me.

Spyware weekly said:
Both AOL's internet software and the AOL Instant Messenger program (AIM) are force installing unwanted software called Viewpoint Media Player on people's computers.

There is no option to not install Viewpoint. In fact, if you remove Viewpoint, it will be reinstalled the next time you load AOL! I could hardly believe it when the first person reported this at the message board. Then a dozen more people showed up to report the same thing.

Viewpoint Media Player displays certain multimedia content over the internet. I discovered this software on my own machine last April and I DID NOT AT ALL like finding it there. The reason for that can be found in their privacy policy:
The software creates a unique tracking number ("Customer Unique Identifier" is their term). This number and other information is transmitted, without asking, to Viewpoint servers. The software downloads updates and installs them on the computer, also without asking.

The privacy policy states that "The Viewpoint Media Player will soon be capable of tracking information about the content it displays and how the user interacts with it. When the Viewpoint Media Player displays Viewpoint content, it tracks the URL it is served from, as well as Viewpoint file data tagged by the author in XML. This data can include, but is not limited to: the names of objects and textures displayed, and the names of animations invoked."

Combine all that with the fact that it is installed without permission or proper disclosure. I'm sorry, but you do not install software on my computer that transmits data across the internet without my permission. For that matter, you don't install any software on my computer without my permission, period.

After finding this thing on my computer last year, I sent Viewpoint a letter asking how it is distributed. From their reply, I determined that AIM had installed it. I then downloaded a fresh copy of AIM from AOL's web site and installed it again (I had removed it months earlier). There was absolutely no disclosure whatsoever that it was going to bundle Viewpoint.

There are other things that AOL software does. For instance, some software such as Netscape and ICQ 2000b will insert free.aol.com into Internet Explorer's "Trusted" security zone. When you put a web site in the "Trusted" zone, Internet Explorer will allow that site to download, install and execute any piece of software completely without interaction with the user.

The reason for AOL inserting that entry became clear when we started spotting ActiveX files from free.aol.com in people's HijackThis log files at the message board. AOL is inserting their web site into the "Trusted" zone so that they can install software without the user knowing they are doing it!

AIM is adware. That is, it displays a small banner ad in the program and it also pops up an advertisement window when you launch it. Recently, AIM has even started to download movie trailers and play them at random intervals. You heard me, AOL is using peoples' internet connection to download huge video files in order to play movie trailers.

Both AOL's internet service software and AIM also install a piece of software called Wild Tangent, again without asking. Wild Tangent is used to play games and other multimedia. Some Winamp plugins also use it. The problem with Wild Tangent is that it installs an autoupdater and turns it on by default.

Wild Tangent's updater will transmit data about the computer on which it is installed. That data includes hardware specs, some information about installed software and how the user is interacting with the software. The company says this is done to see how their software is used and that they might share it with third parties. Several antispyware products detect and remove Wild Tangent.

When are software developers going to understand that they cannot transmit data from a person's machine without their permission? There are laws forbidding data theft, so why are they allowed to do this? When are they going to understand that they cannot download and install software without permission?

There are better and cheaper Internet Service Providers. Go to BroadBandReports and find one. There are other instant messenger programs that will let you use the AIM network as well as several other networks such as Yahoo and ICQ. Two very good multi network instant messengers are Trillian and GAIM.

AOL has been losing more subscribers over the past couple of years than they have gained. They are going to lose far more if they don't change this behavior. This is unacceptable and I would never put up with AOL's behavior. I suggest you don't put up with it either and find a company who will treat you with some respect.

Well come on, Ive never used it, but there must be some reason why soooo many people hate it so much?
Why SHOULD people be forced to install some extra crap just to use an ISP, why not do as pretty much everyone else does and just let you use what you want?

Everytime you sign on to AOL you have an ad shoved in your face and you have to click "No thanks"

options / preferences / marketing / untick show advertisement at start up

but I am giving you facts, I want some facts to backup your claims

you are giving me other peoples facts ~ anybody can copy & paste from the thousands of anti AOL propaganda sites

I am giving you facts based on my own informed 3 years hands on unbiased experience
I cant give you screen shots because as I have already stated I no longer use AOL

@ Unleashed its mainly Americans that don't like AOL
they have a problem with businesses making lots money and cornering the market
M$ went through a similar witch hunt in the late nineties
remember that ? all the paranoia about hidden files and URL's in the registry

q[^_^[p

Both AOL's internet service software and AIM also install a piece of software called Wild Tangent,

BS once again absolute BS

unreal the crap that is spouted in this thread

u0102.gif

2zee said:
they have a problem with businesses making lots money and cornering the market

You do know in the end of 2002 AOL posted a total yearly loss of 98 billion dollars, thus causing Ted Turner to step down as the CEO. I am not sure what the 2003 loss was. The subscriber base has declined 13 million from 35 million in 2002 to around 22 million now.

OK, I'm done with this bantering, but my point is AOL is evil, people use because they are uninformed. But, people are becoming more informed as the numbers and revenue losses show.

Why are you such an AOL advocate? You yourself have stated that you dropped them, why if you love them so much. Oh, yea, and you shouldn't have to uncheck an option to not show ads.

j79zlr said:
You do know in the end of 2002 AOL posted a total yearly loss of 98 billion dollars, thus causing Ted Turner to step down as the CEO. I am not sure what the 2003 loss was. The subscriber base has declined 13 million from 35 million in 2002 to around 22 million now.

OK, I'm done with this bantering, but my point is AOL is evil, people use because they are uninformed. But, people are becoming more informed as the numbers and revenue losses show.

Why are you such an AOL advocate? You yourself have stated that you dropped them, why if you love them so much. Oh, yea, and you shouldn't have to uncheck an option to not show ads.

I started this thread and it's been hijacked. So why my last comments removed, I did not swear and 'lamers' is not swearing either.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back