Anyone taken the MCP (70-270) Exam lately?

Ok, still haven't taken it, work has kept me busy. I found a free practice exam and now I REALLY don't think I can pass it. I got 26 out of 50 right (terrible, I know) but the ones I missed I just don't understand if its a legit question. For example:

A) seemed obvious and D) seemed pointless. So I got A) right. However I picked the wrong IE version and hence got the whole question wrong. Two things about this question, 1) Of all the setups I've done; I've NEVER seen the option to do a dynamic update. I assume its there since they ask the question, I just don't know where. 2.) XP comes with IE6 right? So why are my choices 4.0 & 5.0? I guessed 5 and was wrong. Pretty much all of the questions I missed were like this. Old, seemingly pointless stuff. Is Microsoft really interested in your ability to memorize inane details or is this practice test that out of date?
I understand your frustration, but I think the point you have to try and understand is they want you to know the minimum requirements for something to work. Trust me, I have felt your pain through these things, but use the Transcender, take your practice tests and just relax when you take it - if you think clearly you should be OK. Also, I found it helpful to write key words down during really confusing questions. Helps you sift through the crap as a lot of questions have extra scentences or paragraphs in there to throw you off, which actually have no meaning to the real question or answer.

And congrats Henry!

Still not done. Doesn't look like it'll ever be done.

I was getting better and better and Transcender, but I think thats largely due to me just remembering the correct answer, I don't actually understand it anymore then before. It's all rote in other words.

My Microsoft press book had a cd that has an exam simulation in it... I bombed that thing like a foreign country. I scored a whopping 48%. I'm guessing that since the exam came in Microsoft's book that its thee closest to an actual exam. That frightens me more then anything. This disasterpiece featured questions like ... heres a list of 20 things, place them in order of how you'd solve a problem, oh and you may or may not use them all. There were 10 or so of those things, I got one right. Usually I missed a single step and got the whole damned thing wrong. It also featured several story problems that had 5 questions embedded in it, the one I remember explained how this group was printing more then this other group so it needed its own print device and it needed to be secured so only its users could print to it and then the managers of that group had to have extra privileges on top of that. You then had to select the group from a list and then use the arrows to shuffle the permissions between them and you couldn't have extras. Which pretty much means you have to memorized each and every permission and not just what each one does but what it doesn't do in relation to everything else. And honestly, maybe I've just been spoiled in my jobs, but I've never been told to jimmy rig a complex permission list for a printer when YOU CAN JUST BUY A NEW F***ING PRINTER! AND LET CERTAIN USERS ACCESS IT. GOD! Really, are companies so hard up that they will try to cram 100 users onto a device and then force their techs to make it so it all works? Also why are there so many questions that deal with things that would never happen? You administer a network with 100 NT4 boxes (sure you do) and 50 98 boxes (uh huh) and 50 ME boxes (did microsoft even sell that many licenses for ME?) and you suddenly up and out of the blue what to upgrade everyone to XP. And then there are questions where the right answer isn't even there. So now you're stuck picking the one that sucks least. I'm just tired of it, I know what I know, and I know it well, but thats not going to get me anywhere. So yeah, I don't think I'm ever going to take it, which I guess means I'm forever stuck in the midwest. I hate my life.

the readiness review suite is totaly ****, nothing like the exam + i always scored low on it :p transender is as close as you will legally get ;)

the readiness review suite is totaly ****, nothing like the exam + i always scored low on it :p transender is as close as you will legally get ;)

So are you saying the actual exam is easier or harder?

PASSED!

It wasn't pretty (749, passed by 49 points!) but all that matters is I passed. The Transcender practice tests were a true lifesaver. They really prepared me for the test, not by giving me the answers but by showing me just how f'ed up the questions were and preparing me for that.

Congratulations!!!!!

I know when I passed my SCJP last year, I thought most of what was taught was absolutely pointless as any IDE would correct/bring to your attention any problem.

I guess both Sun & Microsoft want you to understand what is happening as opposed to knowing the best way to do things.

DD

Doing a course on 70-293 next month then 294 shortly after. Work doesn't seem to care about getting the certifcation but just having the knowledge it seems.

Need to sit the 4 core then I think I have MCSA but am not overly concerned.

The Transcender practice tests were a true lifesaver. They really prepared me for the test, not by giving me the answers but by showing me just how f'ed up the questions were and preparing me for that.

Told you transender was top class ;)

am nearly done with 70-290 now i hope.....

Congrats BouncingSoul - although worth mentioning I did have a job where they asked for me to tell the scores I got and prove it :eek:

Haven't heard of that anywhere else though - badgers!!

After fifteen years as an IT consultant, I've decided to go get some certifications. I beta tested XP and have installed it hundreds of times. I know it like the back of my hand. I took the MS readiness review test - without studying - and scored a whopping 50%.

Is the actual exam really full of questions about IE4 and IE5, FAX modems, and upgrading from Windows ME?

Can it really be that I'll fail this test simply because I've managed to forget all that is obsolete and useless???

Regardless of whether or not you know about WindowsXP -> 7 it is generally a good idea to hammer through some practice tests or flick through the book because the Microsoft way is not always the best practice as that might involve third party tools that just can't be taken into consideration.

I do sometimes find some of the questions misleading or have information that really isn't relevent to the scenario and can just throw you off.

As far as this exam goes, I can't remember if I will be taking this one as I already have 2k and think I can sneak in Vista as my elective but have been working on other things for a few weeks so haven't had time to get this stuff sorted.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back