An IP Addy Disaster!

Sorry I made a slight error in my diagram. THe wireless router can only do 2 comps.

The MODEM uses the WAN (also labelled Internet on newer models) the rest dont. I've editing your pic to outline this, altho Im not entirele sure on the airport.

Attachments

• wireddiagram.png
    wireddiagram.png
    32.3 KB · Views: 58
ok i see what you are getting at... when I link the wan port on other routers, it completely blocks off external ip access to the computers that are connected down the chain.

now, with all computers set up in a single LAN range, how do I go about using my external IP address? can it only be routed to one computer or can one computer act as the index and link files from other computers on the network?

also, why can the wireless router only be connected to two computers?

The wired router handles the internet connection. They all access the internet through one external IP, which is the purpose of an at home router. The wireless router can only have two wired clients since one port must connect to the wired router and another to the airport.

lol... duh :D ok.. i didn't realize that you were refering to the two outputs that were occupied by the wired router and the airport :D

ok. now how do i set it up-to where i can access an apache server on one of my comps in the network from the outside world? lets say once i set it up on a pc, how would i configure the ip address?

Ok in the wired router you forward port 80 to the IP of the machine that is running apache.

The best course of action is to assign your apache machine a static ip cause a IP change would break the port forwarding rule.

now see i did that before, however it must not have worked because of the three different ranges i had them setup in.... once they are in the same range then it should work without having to configure each router or the modem right?

i'm going to reconfig later today and let you know how it goes... thanks a bunch for all your help :D

Im not sure where your apache machine was in the network but if it was at the end that you would've had to config the other routers with port forwarding.

Also, does your MODEM handle the login for DSL?

yes it does... that is another problem.. when i set the ips all to the same range ie.. 192.168.1.x then i cannot access them all from a comp connected to say the airport for ex.. everything works just fine when i have them setup to 192.168.x.1

anyways for the fowarding, i can plug the "server" into the wired router so i don't have to go through the other routers fowarding stuff, it will be directly plugged into the first router-- here is a screenshot of my routing options,

Attachments

• screenshot.pdf
    184.2 KB · Views: 73
I'm not quite sure what you mean by
"when i set the ips all to the same range ie.. 192.168.1.x then i cannot access them all from a comp connected to say the airport for ex.. everything works just fine when i have them setup to 192.168.x.1"

As for the router config thats a different area. Here's a screenshot of what you need.

3 - Enter IP address of apache machine
5- (not shown) click save.

Attachments

• linksys.JPG
    linksys.JPG
    124.8 KB · Views: 72
ok.. thanks again for your help admiral, right now i'm having formatting issues with the comp i'm using as my server. once i finish setting it up i will post how it works,(if it works :p)

-tc

No problem. If you have any problems or more questions, don't hesitate to post back.

I haven't setup my server yet... I'm waiting for some parts... they should be in on tuesday then i'll set it all up :D

APACHE IS UP!!! :D *i'm very happy...* it was very easy on mac, maybe i'll start a thread after i play around with it...

now back to the ip stuff... i'm having a problem acessing it from outside my intranet..

throughout the intranet it works just fine, however when i type my modem's ip addy into the addy bar i cannot get it to foward to the server, is there something i have to set in the modem's options?

Does the apache machine have a static IP address?

If so, you need to go into the main router and foward port 80 to that IP. If you use DHCP then I would advise using a static IP instead because when the IP chnages it will break the port forwarding rule.

yes... i already did that... you showed me in the last attachment you sent :D.. i can access it from my comps in my intranet however, when i try to access it with my external modem's ip, it just goes into the modem's settings... (login)

it could be your router doing that when an internet IP tries to access its WAN IP. What's your IP? (you can PM me if you don't wanna post it).

Also, do you have remote admin enabled for the router? If so change the port to something like 8080 cause that could be interfering with everything.

it's going to change anyways even though i'm trying to get it to stay static...

so is what you are saying that from inside my intranet, i will see the modem's setup, however outside on the internet, people will see the server's index?

edit: was i supposed to change the UPNP on the modem too? here is it's screenshot...

EDIT:: also here is the port fowarding screenshot...(second attach.)

Attachments

• Modem_screenshot.png
    Modem_screenshot.png
    127.5 KB · Views: 59
  • PortFoward.jpg
    PortFoward.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
I don't use UPnP, its more for auto port forwarding for prograns like MSN Messenger. I believe it can also be a security risk.

As for the Port forwarding, are you unsure how to enter the data?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back