AMD announces its new six core Opteron processor, codename Istanbul

Jewelzz

OSNN Godlike Veteran
I lost the link to front page posting...
AMD has today launched its six-core Opteron processor, codenamed 'Istanbul'.
The processor is aimed at the two, four and eight socket spaces and all the new features and enhancements would be available across the board.
The CPU are connected via AMD's Direct Connect Architecture (DCA) although the company confirmed it would be releasing a new generation of DCA, 2.0, in 2010.
Pat Patla, vice president of AMD’s Server/Workstation Division, said: “With AMD-V (virtualisation suite) and AMD-P (power suite) you will get this technology across the entire processor family.”
“Intel make you call out which you want to implement. Our approach is no compromise.”
ITPro

Johnny

.. Commodore ..
Political User
hmm, I wonder how this will fare with the intel. I am hearing rumors that they are coming out with an 8 core in 2010.

ming

OSNN Advanced
hmm.. server cpu or not, I'm not which is better, AMD or Intel, when it comes to multi-core.

AMD cpus are true multi-core processors, ie. 1 cpu, 2/4 cores.
Intel (as far as I recall) are 1 chip, 2 cpus, 2 cores per cpu. I wouldn't be surprised if their "8-core" cpu is actually 4 cpus on 1 chip with 2 cores each OR 2 cpus with 2 cores on 1 chip with hyperthreading.

the core i7 chips are true multicore and are capable of scaling to 16 physical cores per package. Add hyperthreading to the mix and you have 32 thread processing capability :)

Sazar

F@H - Is it in you?
Staff member
Political User
They both have slightly different interpretations but Intel is still a little better in overall efficiency and power-draw at the high-end.

In the mid/low-range, things become more blurred.

For large scale multi-proc/multi-core configurations, Intel still has a lot more flexibility than AMD.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Poseeut