Active Desktop Tutorial

It still sits there, doing nothing.
*edit*Also, using direct link in vbs, a Windows Script Host error.

quite odd. try the calendar, let me know if you have problems with that?

might be a JavaScript issue. Let me know.

can you take a screen shot of the 'windows script host' error? maybe I can debug it from that.

and it just hangs when you link the VBS to a hand made shortcut?

I am going to have to look into windows script..

mupp . . .

in many cases scripts does not recognized long filenames/path or filenames using a space . .
try use dos path, ie: C:\PROGRA~1\OUTLOO~1\MSIMN.EXE

My Computer Security Zone

I thought that I would touch on this for anyone that is getting anoyed with Windows security asking if they want to run a script when they click on their links. To remedy this, you need to enable the My Computer security zone. This is done through the registry.

DISCLAIMER: Always back up the registry before you edit it.

Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\0 (that is a zero). Look at the right side for the key labeled "Flags." Double click it to change the value and imput a value of 1 (this value should be imputed with the selection button selecting Hexadecimal. Hit Okay and close the registry editor. Reboot your computer to make sure that the changes have taken place. Now go into Internet Options and click the Security tab. You should notice that there is now a security zone called My Computer. Click on it, then click on Custom Level. You can now change any of the settings that have been bothering you. NOTE: These changes only affect your computer, it does not apply to browsing the internet. After you have changed the settings you should not be bothered by Windows asking if you want to run a script.

Hope that this helps anyone that was having this problem.

Read madmatt tutorial . . . this is what this thread all about. Thanks for the belated help anyway . .

will this work for all OS's with active desktop? or just XP? cause i think i could pull some pretty nice stuff off. but i don't have XP installed right now.

and instead of loading each .html file seperatly couldn't you include them in or just have them all in one big html file?

goddamnit, this is REALLY pissing me off

I keep getting a "cannot find server" error when I click on the save button in the notepad. It points to \directory where .html file is\java script:window.close();

I know this is going to be a really basic answer, I just know it

thanks!!! Mad_matt for the tutorial :)
got one question how can you make the html transparent or something so that you only see the links and not the page around it. I hope you get my question :S

Posted by zalood
mupp . . .

in many cases scripts does not recognized long filenames/path or filenames using a space . .
try use dos path, ie: C:\PROGRA~1\OUTLOO~1\MSIMN.EXE
That did the trick!
Thank you so very much!
How can I find out the dos path for other programs?

mupp, just make sure everything is in the 8.3 format (progra~1 is 8, exe is 3)

PurpleSmurf, yes, it will work with any active desktop enabled OS. And, yes, I mentioned in the tutorial that you are able to create one HTML file with everything.

zalood, good call on that. thank you.

theauditors, make sure you remove the space between 'java' and 'script' (for some odd reason vbcode adds the space). If 'javascript:window.close();' isn't working, try 'javascript:window.void();' (REMOVE THE SPACE BETWEEN 'JAVA' AND 'SCRIPT').

sboulema, if you figure out a way to do that, let me know =) you could try <body background="file.jpg"> and then stretch it to take up the entire dtop.

mupp, anything longer than 8 characters is abbreivated two six characters then ~1, etc. (8.3 format).
- Program Files = PROGRA~1
- Programs = PROGRA~2
- My Documents = MYDOCU~1

mupp, let me ask you, what file system are you running? FAT32 or NTFS?

When i use the active desktop i lose my transparent icon text :( All my icons get a black box around their text. See pic. Any solution for this?

Notepad not saving

First things first, good job madmatt! I've been 'lurking' patiently in the desktop threads waiting for this tutorial ever since I first saw your desktop. And now I'm starting to see the results of your good work :)

I am having a minor issue with the Notepad code tho - Save doesn't live up to its name on my PC. I click it and a window appears briefly on screen (browser?), but nothing is saved to the txt file, nor does the text appear when I refresh the desktop (F5). The only change I made to the code was for the background and text colours, oh and to remove the underlining on the link :)

Any ideas? I'm using Mozilla as my default browser, could this be an issue? I tried reducing the filename down to 8.3 format after reading zalood's comment but still no joy. Tried on both XP and NT.

Once again, thanks for the guide - much appreciated!

TIA
mP

one other thing. how can i get coolmon to dump into a .html file for parsing?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
junebutlertd
Back