Active Desktop Tutorial

bah, make it all 1 page.... I guess its css positioning for me.

Is there a way to precisly define the position and dimensions of an active desktop item? Such as defining the x and y location and the width and height, rather than dragging and dropping and stratching with the mouse?

Okay, here's a question:

How do I change the color of textboxes/textareas that are white by default, and the color of the text within them.
Md changed his to a light gray ... how do you do that?

Thanks! :)

Can this be ported over to be able to use IIS web services. Maybe using asp or css ?? Since most ppl dont have access to php web server but most do have some kind of IIS installed on thier machine.

Originally posted by mupp
Hey guys, I'm back - and am also looking for help!
Since I know nothing about Javascript/DHTML/Stuff Like That I'm gonna ask you guys to do this for me.
I've discovered a very cool DHTML pop-out menu here:
http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex1/davidmenu.htm
Is there any way that you can make it so that I can place shortcuts to programs in there, instead of links to webpages?
Any help would be greatly appreciated

It can be done... but i dont know what the command is in this Java script ...

Originally posted by Vetinari
Thanks for the reply.

I did as you said but still get the same problem. When i click on the link on the active desktop (or double click the vbs file) i get an hourglass for about 1/10th of a second and then nothing else.

I have tried enabling everything in the security options but this seems to make no difference.

Any ideas?

The only other things i can think of is that you might have blocked the script with ActiveX or with an AntiVirus (or both)...

Hey guys! Here is my desktop: http://boneymo.host.sk/desktop.gif

I cant get the recycling bin to work though! I made a shortcut, and it still dont work. Also all the links under system, exept shut down and minimize all, dont work... i am running windows ME. Are those for xp?

hmm... how does he do it?

I'm drooling over the background http://www.xp-erience.org/ntfs/active_mdsalih-v2.jpg of Mdsalih's desktop. I'm wondering how I can do the organizor task. I read on the desktop its mysql and php. Could someone give me very detailed steps how to go about to get this on my desktop? Thanks! I've installed mysql, php, and apache and that all works. But what is the database colums and what is the source for that php page? Every little bit helps! thanks!

Whoever stumbled upon this has found something very very cool. MadMatts desktop looks cool and I can't wait til you write up how to control certain progs like WMP through the web. I hope MDSalih writes up a tut. on how he designed some of the things on his desktop.
Im having a hard time getting things to display from the raw xml file that coolmon exports. Can someone show me the code they use for it.....php, asp or even java and if possible their config file they use to export the xml. That's one of the big things I'm stumped on......

I started my own active.DESKTOP last night and I attached a screen to show yas what I have. Sort of a rip of what I've been seeing but it's a tut.

Lookin Good DC_SXking :blink:

Could u tel me how u done the Power Options ;)

Here's an update on the WMP controls.. So far...

You have the ability to play, pause, forward, previous, and stop. By default, I set it up so you point the controls to your playlist.

You can hide/show the visualization.

Last night I added a select box which has the ability to display the files within your media directory. When you click the file name, it plays the song. Still working through a few bugs, such as the JavaScript seems to be denied the right to any folders within C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME because of security perms. I'll see what I can do. This works fine for me because all my music is kept on the D_DRIVE.

Once I work out all the bugs and test it. I will be making a WMP version and a WMP.lite version (controls only, as seen in my current screenshot).

heh, I'll let Md handle that one. I don't use it nor support it.

I having a few problems again guys. When I try to add an imput button in my notepad and click save, an window will open with my notepad in it, and then i will have to click save again. I don't get it!

My second question is how do i change the font in the calendar where the month and year appears.

Third question is how to disable the active control thing the shows up everytime i refresh my dtop.

Thanks in advance!

just summat i've tried and made things a bit simpler...instead of creating shortcuts for everything and then running them thru the .vbs file, just put the path and name of the exe straight into the .vbs, eg:

Dim oShell
Set oShell = WScript.CreateObject ("WScript.shell")
oShell.run "C:\WINDOWS\system32\sol.exe"
Set oShell = Nothing

for solitaire. for 'specials' like my computer etc, use the 'explorer /root,,::{....}' stuff in madmatt's tutorial instead. make sure u use 8.3 names for the folders too. dunno if there's any reason why u shouldn't do it this way but it works for me anyhow :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vinit
Back