Abit gf4

I know sitting in a chair watching something at 60fps and then something at 125fps, you cant tell the difference. But playing a game at 125fps compared to 60fps is so much different... especially on the quake games. Movement is different, less fps can hamper the players ability to strafe-jump properly, rocket-jump properly and yes, it can be the difference between hitting and missing no matter what ping the player has.

You should maybe try playing Q3 online or then again... with your views on FPS, you should try playing ANY game online...

i kick ur 30fps in the teeth :p 85 is the respected norm now hehe

i have a nice custom built rig and got this in mohaa http://www.btinternet.com/~gonzo17774/727.jpg

its true about needing a high benchmark score to be able to get the kill shots online. i aint 1337 for nothing :)

no one yet has been able to beat that score standing at the blackboard running high res. 400 ish is the norm, but my PC kinda spazzed stood in the right place and i got in the mohaa history books :):):)

if everyone's playing games with vsync turned off, you're fooling yourselves. what's the point if your card is pushing hundreds of fps but your screen is only showing 60 or 85? and with vsync off, you get tearing, which actually gives the look of slower fps.

turn vsync on for the best possible smoothness. that's what it's for. also make sure your monitor is running at it's highest refresh rate while in opengl or d3d mode. this may take a refresh rate fix like reforce. only then will you acheive a true 60, 85, or 100fps... whatever your monitor's refresh rate is.

but turn vsync off for benchmarking, of course. ;)

the difference between 30 and 60 is noticeable. i've seen it. and no, i wasn't imagining it.

but either way, the more fps, the better. until you get up over 100 then it's probably not going to make a difference to your brain and is only good for benchmarking.

consider this... in life everything moves at an infinite number of fps. :)

Try turning the vertical sync off. I noticed my FPS go up substantially when I did. If the card has to wait for a vertical retrace to redraw the screen you loose fps while you wiat. The slower your vertical refresh the lower your fps.

And if u think >100 FPS aint gonna make a diff try 100 first and then 200, and u can do crazy stuff, FPS isnt only for the refresh rate and **** but also very important for movement.

Let me shed some light on the Quake3 / 125fps thing.

It's true that in many (most) games, FPS is only partially relevant, but in Quake 3 we're not talking about visuals.

There are bugs in the Quake 3 engine that have been widely accepted by players because they actually enhance the game. With these bugs, we are able to pull 'extraordinary' moves, which is all a part of becoming a skilled Quake3 player.

I wont go into massive detail, but 125fps is an important number in Quake3 because it allows a player to be synchronized with the game world 'time', and means that jumps are higher and further, and higher strafing speeds can be gained.

I am also having some problems getting 125fps consistently using default settings in Quake3. I can achieve 125fps easily with various visual tweaks, but I am pretty darned sure my Ti4200 should be capable of pulling well over 125fps on default settings. Incidentally, my monitor runs at 144Hz whilst I am playing.

If anyone could shed any light on this, for the benefit of myself, the original poster of this thread, and the many, many other people out there with the same problem - pleeease help :)

Thanks

lo m00min m8
/me is sn' :p

It is very dependent on the vsync as if its off in drivers and r_finish is set to 1 ingame, then theres the problem that the game wants it on, but the card is not allowing it to be on as its set to "Always Off". However, theres the other side to the situation... drivers being set to vsync on and r_finish being set to 0. Best vsync "on" performance is drivers being set to on and r_finish being set to 1 and if you prefer it off, set drivers to always off and r_finish to 0.

and I agree, 125 is like real q3 world fps... people with 125 fps have a huge advantage over people with less (76fps is a magic number also btw). However, most with 125fps also get further advantages with cl_timenudge etc.

m00min, try changing r_subdivisions and r_subdivision to 50 or 60 - this takes some of the smoothness off the edges of the arches and curves in the maps - can give upto 10fps increase depending on how many curves are visible.

Actually its fix0red :D I cant remember what I've done since I posted here, but now everything is perfect :) 300-350+fps perfect to be a bit more to the point :D

:D n1 m8

just got a ti4200 8x agp yesterday myself - can finally go higher than my previous "76" magic number - it could never hold 125 normally.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back