A computer with fins?

I

ikester7579

The glass knife fish, popular in home aquariums, has been the subject of study by two University of California researchers. They have concluded that this unusual looking fish has such a complex nervous system that it is basically a computer with fins.

As the 6- to 7-inch native of South America swims along, it generates up to 700 weak electrical impulses a second which it uses like radar to navigate. The returning signals are received by specialized cells all over the fish's body.

The fish's brain then processes these signals in much the same way that our brain processes the signals from our ears and tell us the direction of the source of sound. However, where we use sound waves to tell us direction, the glass knife fish uses electrical impulses that travel much faster then sound. But not only are those impulses faster but there are up to seven hundred signals a second to process. The fish's secret to processing this huge amount of information is called parallel processing. This is a technique that has been discovered and applied to produce the fastest supercomputers yet.

The glass knife fish is an unlikely design to have evolved. The highly sophisticated information processing technology built into this fish can only be attributed to a designer.

ikester

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back