7900 gs

iceman7311

OSNN Senior Addict
ok i think i fainally found out what graphics card i will get. the 7900 gs 20 pipes and 256 bit memory. nvidia has already started shipping them to dell. how long do you think it will be until they are avaliable for retail?

oh i forgot you can see this cards specs on the dell website when you customize the xps. go to the more info link above the graphics card section.

Last edited:
Sometimes they release special chipsets to OEMs only. It may never release for the after market. There are no vendors selling after market on this chipset and no rumors.

At the Dell price (an extra $250 over $50-100 for a baseline vid card) you could buy a 7900 GT with 24 pipes ($289).

i was just hoping it would drop down to around 200. i have heard form other forums that it will come out and the 7900 page on nvidia's web site lists it. i article i read also said a 7600 gtx will come out. probaly the 175 range and i guess it would have 16 pipes and 256 bit memory. i m sure i will end up waiting for all of this stuff and by the time it comes out the 8xxx series will be here and i will be waiting for the same thing. if i was samrt i would bite the bullit and get a 7900 gt but i dought i will so what ev

edit: do you think we can expect the price of the 7800 gt/ gtx to start comming down quickly or do you think it will stay the same until everyone stops making them?

I'm thinking the price of a 7900GT is a pretty good deal right now $289. The x1800gt is a great deal too at $239 but it's out of prodution and a power bpig compare to the 7900 gpus. Check the Sunday sale adds local stores may gets stuck with 7800/1800 inventory they don't want to keep and may deep discount it to clear their cash flow.

I've seen Vid cards drop in half in 3 months. No way to tell when it's coming. I guess it really depends on if the overall economy weakens enough.

For a while the top end vid cards had gotten way out of line price wise and the mid range cards disappeared completely. $289 is still more than I want to pay for a vid card, especially after wasting $300 for my x800xl last fall.

My real hope is that they will develop decently priced mid-range cards. Like that 7900GS priced around $200. From interviews I've read the attitude is "we have suckers buying at top dollar, but if demand falls off we offer better deals".

If I knew the right answer I'd be installing a new vid card right now. :dead:

Lee i think we are screwed, by the time the 7900 gs comes out there will be a 8800 gt with something like 30 piepes and 512 bit memory but it well be just out of our price range and we will be waiting again. i guess i play the waiting game now :(

Last edited:
what you want to do is go for the card out now with the best price performance ratio, atm that card is the 7900 GT and x1800XT.

Yeah, but if we wait just a little longer we can get a better deal, lol. :dead: :dead: :dead:

PS Has anyone else noticed that a high end video card or CPU/MB cost twice what they did 3 years ago? RAM, DVD, HD, Monitors all have dropping price performance ratios.

I have a new theory. A market with just 2 competitors is not a market, it's a convenient way to deny price fixing.

Since SIS, Voodoo, and the other 3rd stringers have been flushed out of the market prices have sky rocketed. Whine over.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vinit
Back