• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

7200rpm HD Cooling necessary?

J

jcs83md

I'm thinking about picking up a 80 GB Western Digital Special Edition drive. Supposedly they run rather cool but still people recommend cooling. This will be the lone hard drive in my system and will be able to breath on each side. Is extra cooling really necessary?

J

jcs83md

Skwowwy... are you sure the cooler you got made that much of a difference? That seems ridiculous. How warm does your CPU and motherboard run?

S

Skwowwy

Originally posted by jcs83md
Skwowwy... are you sure the cooler you got made that much of a difference? That seems ridiculous. How warm does your CPU and motherboard run?
I didn't make it up, though. The HD's really now 31 - 34 degrees. That's with case open, though, because there isn't enough airflow in there (too much wires/cables). I'm also going to get a special fan for the airflow soon, so yeah. Once that's done, the case will be closed.

As for the CPU/motherboard temperatures, I don't know. I don't have any sensors for it. It's a Compaq Presario, you see. :p

Cosmin

Graphic Designer
Originally posted by jcs83md
I'm thinking about picking up a 80 GB Western Digital Special Edition drive. Supposedly they run rather cool but still people recommend cooling. This will be the lone hard drive in my system and will be able to breath on each side. Is extra cooling really necessary?
depends on actual temperature : CASE .

JJB6486

Retired Mod
Political User
I got the same drive. Its a little warm to the touch, but not burning. I have a 80mm intake fan that blows into the 3.5 bay occupied by the 80GB and another 30GB. It seems to work well enough

JJB

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chawalsub