• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

5600 or 5600 Ultra?

#1
is there a bifg difference between the cards? I'm stuck between the 5600 256mb or the 128mb Ultra. theres like a $100 price difference between the two (ultra being more expensive). Can someone please point me to a benchmark between the two? thanks. (looking in Sazar's direction)
 

Sazar

F@H - Is it in you?
Staff member
Political User
#2
Originally posted by Bootsy
is there a bifg difference between the cards? I'm stuck between the 5600 256mb or the 128mb Ultra. theres like a $100 price difference between the two (ultra being more expensive). Can someone please point me to a benchmark between the two? thanks. (looking in Sazar's direction)
there is a performance difference...

don't buy the 256mb version unless you just want to show off... there is a highly unlikely chance of any potential gain in performance... mainly because the gpu is not really powerful enough to run with full features @ 1600x1200 and with AA and AF on @ high levels...

@ 1024x768 or 1280x1024 you may find some difference... but again.. nothing I would think would make you spend about $100 for the card...

hardocps's sean pelletier does a 5600 non ultra review here

5600 ultra review

note :

when reading the 2nd review consider the fact that this was.. I believe... done without patch330 for 3dmark03 :)

as you can see if you just look @ the graphs in comparison to the results of the 9500pro/9600pro.. the 5600 is not nearly as good as the ultra... as expected...
 
#4
Re: Re: 5600 or 5600 Ultra?

Originally posted by Sazar

don't buy the 256mb version unless you just want to show off... there is a highly unlikely chance of any potential gain in performance... mainly because the gpu is not really powerful enough to run with full features @ 1600x1200 and with AA and AF on @ high levels...
Well, the Ultra 256mb version is somewhere round $500+, so thats out of the question lol. I was actually only debating either the 128Ultra or the 256non-ultra. Newegg has the Ultra 128mb for $215 . That's the one i was looking at getting.here
 

Sazar

F@H - Is it in you?
Staff member
Political User
#5
Re: Re: Re: 5600 or 5600 Ultra?

Originally posted by Bootsy
Well, the Ultra 256mb version is somewhere round $500+, so thats out of the question lol. I was actually only debating either the 128Ultra or the 256non-ultra. Newegg has the Ultra 128mb for $215 . That's the one i was looking at getting.here
you sure you are looking @ the 5600 series when you say $500 ?

-edit- yah... that card looks about right :)

its not a bad little card and the price is not bad either..
 
#6
no, looking at the benchmarks you posted, it looks like avery good upgrade from my current Ti4200 128mb, I think I'll go for it. Now i just need the $$$ :)
 

Sazar

F@H - Is it in you?
Staff member
Political User
#7
Originally posted by Bootsy
no, looking at the benchmarks you posted, it looks like avery good upgrade from my current Ti4200 128mb, I think I'll go for it. Now i just need the $$$ :)
I suggest a bigger upgrade personally... the difference in raw performance is not that much different...

you may need something like a 9700pro or better to get a noticeable performance difference...
 

Shamus MacNoob

Moderator
Political User
#8
I agree with Saz on this the diff is not that great I would wait and save your cash and go for something a little higher ...just my 2 cents :)
 
#10
the thing is also that the 4200 that I have bnow only supports 4x AGP. The mobo i got (look below) supports 8x. Is there big difference in performance between lets say two 4200's one at 4x and the other at 8x?
 

Sazar

F@H - Is it in you?
Staff member
Political User
#11
Originally posted by Bootsy
the thing is also that the 4200 that I have bnow only supports 4x AGP. The mobo i got (look below) supports 8x. Is there big difference in performance between lets say two 4200's one at 4x and the other at 8x?
yes... you will get a whopping 0.- 2 fps difference in overall performance...

this is a huge difference as you can tell :D

j/k

no there is no real difference... the bandwidth increase doesn't affect this product as much as it will in future games affect products like the 5600/5800/5900 series from nvidia or th e9500/9600/9700/9800 series from ati...
 

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
61,961
Messages
673,239
Members
89,016
Latest member
doertilog