512k upgrade to 1mb

paul2-0-0-2

OSNN Senior Addict
Just got 1mb and the downloads are wikid, but the web-pages anit got any faster and some sites it loads slower than b4 :eek:

Any1 know if the web-pages spos to load faster??? and why some have slowed down???

from what i can remember. Web pages can only be loaded as fast as there traffic bandwith can handle (am i right guys?) ive heard about it somewhere but maybe there isnt much difference with page loadings from 512 and 1mb connection. I have 512kb and i agree, some pages are slower than others. So maybe this bandwith traffic is correct :huh: (sorry if im wrong). You can only download from a server at a certain download rate inwhich it is set at... or maybe im talking a load of rubbish of something that keeps me happy when i wonder why my connection is slow. Someone please back me up with this Bandwith Traffic :(

Sincerly Alex:cool:

Originally posted by paul2-0-0-2
Just got 1mb and the downloads are wikid, but the web-pages anit got any faster and some sites it loads slower than b4 :eek:

Any1 know if the web-pages spos to load faster??? and why some have slowed down???

what are the rest of your system specs ?

more memory does not always mean better performance... it depends on what you are using it for :)

and to an extent it does depend on your system setup as well... as to what is faster or the same...

I think he's talking about internet connection speed sazar, not physical memory :p

It dont matter if your on a OC3 or OC45....if the incoming can only put out a limited amount of bandwidth..then that is what you will end up with...I have a T3 connection...but often can only get slow downloads from a site..that has maybe 256k or 512k limit....so its not your end....upstream bandwidth is what cost your ISP....that is why alot of Cable Modems..have maybe 1mb/s down..and only 256K or 512K upsteam....most all ISP limit the bandwidth via the router...the long ago hack of the Docsis at the DCHP level is long gone....

....if the incoming can only put out a limited amount of bandwidth..then that is what you will end up with...I have a T3 connection...but often can only get slow downloads from a site..that has maybe 256k or 512k limit

YAY! I was right.. thank you jroc for clarafying it for me :D

lol im gettin double the download speed as i was b4 which is wikid no problem with downloads , but web pages have seem to gone slower :huh:

I done a speed check and said this

* It appears that the alternative cache is working better than the Telewest blueyonder - 1Mb Service cache. To improve Web Browsing, set the Proxy Server in your Web Browser to webcache.blueyonder.co.uk on port 3128*

Tools>Net options>Lan Settings>Proxy Server

Do i put them in there :confused:

Yeah but I don't think the proxy will help you. They are more trouble than help in my experience.

Also web pages are normally not big, they can be downloaded in a snap with both 512k and 1MBit. What makes some sites slower is:
- High server load, making the transfer slower
- Complicated pages/plugins and so on, making the computer take longer time to display the page.

So no, you shouldn't notice any different in surfing speed with 512k vs. 1Mbit.

from experience, I've found the blueyonder cache is usually quite efficient without many problems (it does take a while longer at times to show a 404 error if the internet isnt working for whatever reason at the time).

Originally posted by jumpy
I think he's talking about internet connection speed sazar, not physical memory :p

*laughs at sazar*
I was going to post the same thing but when I read Alex's post I figured out what he was talking about.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back