• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

100mb/s network runs slow

P

Powerchordpunk

This problem has probably been heard a thousand times but...

I have a network with all 10/100 NICs on autosense and all connected to a 10/100 router with Cat5 cabling. Why do my network transfers go slower then 100 Megabytes/sec? thx all.

j79zlr

Glaanies script monkey
Political User
because they are 100 megabits per second, ~ 12.5 MB/s but you'll reallt never get that, usually somewhere around 50% to a little more. Too many factors involved to list.

P

Powerchordpunk

whoops meant megabits. i guess there is too much garbage stuff to go wrong along the 8 feet of cabling between rooms.

ming

OSNN Advanced
The longer the cable the more intereference there is affecting the data transfer.
You can reduce interference by looking to some more expensive cables that have thicker shielding.

JJB6486

Retired Mod
Political User
My Network (10/100 Full Duplex, mostly) copies files between comptuers at aobut 8-10MB/s (megabytes per second). Thats FTP over the LAN to my FreeBSD Server, which is a pretty good speed. I'd say everything is working perfectly.

JJB

Originally posted by ming
The longer the cable the more intereference there is affecting the data transfer.
You can reduce interference by looking to some more expensive cables that have thicker shielding.
Normal unshielded CAT5 is good for 300ft. His cable is 8ft. ;)

Powerchordpunk: I agree with JJB6486, it sounds like your network is running really smoothly.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sanoravies