+1 fan = 10dC difference????

Aussie983

ßµ®?i? ?ili???
i changed my stock dell XPS cooling system a little today and got a 10 degree improvement...wtf

the stock cooling config has one fan in the front drawing air in and two exhaust fans with a shroud over the cpu to draw air over the heatsink. Well i took the shroud off and put a fan i had lying around over the heatsink and pointed it into the cpu...

Now instead of ~42dC idle i get ~33dC and under load i get ~45dC instead of almost hitting 60

wtf guys...is the stock dell cooling system that bad?

There is a reason the performance cases have a side cover fan blowing on the CPU. You just discovered it. The draw back is noise.

Two (actually 3 counting the PS fan) exhaust fans is a waste. Shrouds block air flow.

You want to push as much cold air into the case as possible and make sure you have enough exhaust fans to remove the heated air.

That means 2 in the front (bottom and between HD cage and case vent holes) and 2 in the back (PS plus one).

That fan in front of the HD cage is very important since the HD density went to 7200 RPM and over 60 gigs. There seem to be a lot more HD failures in the last year than than I ever heard of between 1985 and 2002.

Dell probably chose the option they did to reduce noise level.

accually its quieter LeeJend...since the fan on the heatsink is cooling off the CPU...the back fans don't spin up to 3000 rpm while im gaming or doing something intense...they stay at 1500rpm

those fans are loud as crap at 3000 rpm apiece

Change your fans at 3000rpm u shouldent hear noise on alot of the newer fans out there. Mine run all diffrent levels and no noise and i paid nothing for them. (Well hardly anything for them :)

120mm fans are less noisy as well and push more airflow!

ill agree with the 120 mm fan comment. i like mine anyways screw all them little things

Aussie983 said:
i changed my stock dell XPS cooling system a little today and got a 10 degree improvement...wtf

the stock cooling config has one fan in the front drawing air in and two exhaust fans with a shroud over the cpu to draw air over the heatsink. Well i took the shroud off and put a fan i had lying around over the heatsink and pointed it into the cpu...

Now instead of ~42dC idle i get ~33dC and under load i get ~45dC instead of almost hitting 60

wtf guys...is the stock dell cooling system that bad?

it's a bit of a failsafe from dell, if the fan packs in all together, the chip wont overheat to cut off point as the flue causes convection, even without the fan the heatsink draws in cold air from the bottom and vents it out the top, the older dell fans didnt even kick in until the chip was at 50 ish deg C and then if it got to 1200 rpm that was about it. the flue is also there to take the heat out the case straight away, 1 fan doing 3 jobs :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back