XP services and Tweaks File ripoff

Originally posted by TS Thomas

3. I was NEVER asked for permission was this "ok", check the legal page on the site "Material may not be copied, broadcast, stored (in any medium), shown or played in public, reproduced, republished, downloaded, posted, broadcast, transmitted, adapted or changed in any way". Clearly this has been violated.

DId you get permission from Micro$oft to cut and paste descriptions from the Services guide? (quoted, or not quoted, did you go through M$'s legal department to get permission?)

R

Originally posted by Lonman
If you really feel somehow violated by this then there ARE appropriate steps to be taken.
Oh really, ok, I'll email the website owner. oh wait, hang on, there is no email listed for him.
There's no email, I cannot contact him, thus I'll bitch on the owners forums.

While I would like to sympathize with you TS Thomas, I find it hard.

Thomas, you really need to take a pill man, there is no way for us or the admins of this site to have known that it was a rip off(if it is). You could have been a little nicer about it, and I am sure it would have been resolved - instead, you are in here crying and whining about something that you arent going to win. You deserve what you get, since you felt the urge to come in here and call us all "thieving bastards" when in fact, most people would have understood.

Pete:rolleyes:

Please ... take a look at Blackvipers services page......

What is the difference ??? Please tell me !!!!

Lets say I made the forbidden file in question... Who is to say I didnt get the info from Blackvipers page. His info is the same as your guide !!!!!!

Please help me put here !!!!!

:mad:

Originally posted by Famine
Can you tell me the difference between your guide and Blackvipers ?

Here is the link again.... Take a look. SAME DAMN INFO .... WORD FOR WORD !!!!!

http://www.blkviper.com/WinXP/service411.htm#Alerter
It's not word for word. Besides, he's constantly updating his guide too, for all you know some of his updates could be based on some of what I wrote. Though that doesn't matter, we've no quarrel with each other so I don't see why you need drag him into this. Yes we cover the same things, though as from my guide I cover more on some of the finer details, e.g. QoS packet scheduler setup, how to properly disable dns, etc. along with recovery info.
Our guides are similar (An obvious necessity) but different info. Compare what he has on "Fast User Switching Compatibility" to what I do. Exactly where do you suggest I managed to extract all that info about it from what he wrote?

Originally posted by Famine
Lets say I made the forbidden file in question... Who is to say I didnt get the info from Blackvipers page.

Because if you've compared "your" XP services guide you'd see the Services listing & recommendations section is copied word for word from mine (Again my guide is listed as the source in the file). BlackViper has a different layout style & different information/details.

Originally posted by TS Thomas

Because if you've compared "your" XP services guide you'd see the Services listing & recommendations section is copied word for word from mine (Again my guide is listed as the source in the file). BlackViper has a different layout style & different information/details.
Oh man, you may be right. Guess what though?... I STILL don't care.

Ts Thomas,

I can definitely understand you being pissed off at this, if indeed you're the author.
(I'm rushing to answer this thread, wich I've just discovered, before it degenerates some more. And I'm planning on checking as soon as I have a minute.)
And let me say in advance : all my apologies, and I intend to take any step necessary accordingly.

To understand the way this thing started off, you'd have to follow the posts in the thread "Tips & Tweaks".
Basically, people were posting interesting tweaks, and at some point the idea was trown to assemble them in some form of document.
Since I have kept the habit of saving the tweaks that I gather all around on little .txt files, I thought "why not me" ?

So I started compiling them on a .doc document.

When I saw that it could become a handy little document--very useful for beginers or for anybody simply wanting these useful tricks all in one place (to use after re-formating, like me)--I thought I might as well throw in the services descriptions I'd collected in the same manner (i.e., on little .txt. files).

I thought this way, anybody could easily keep these useful info in a single file, without having to browse back to the several original locations.

Now, the "Tips and Tweaks" document has got just about no info concerning the origins of the articles; save the 2 sites where I got most of them from, and the names of 2 people who recognized their work and politely asked me to mention them.
I didn't originally include their names because I hadn't written them down when copying the articles. -I didn't remember. (There's even a disclaimer about that in the text, at the beginning.)

But the "Services" document has got the 2 sites where I got the info from written right at the begining :
http://www.3dspotlight.com/tweaks/winxp_services/index.shtml
and
http://www.overclockersclub.com/windowsxpservices.shtml

Didn't you see it ?

You can compare my document with the first of these sites and see for yourself.

Finally, I've not checked yet who are the authors... Is one of them from you ?
If so, what should I do ? Maybe just mentionning your name is not enough, and maybe you do not want us to re-publish (freely) your work this way. If so, I will ask this site to retrieve it.

In any case, it always seemed obvious to me and everybody else involved here that I did not intend to "rip you off".
For one thing, the disclaimer in the other .doc says explicitely that I do not take credit for anything written in these files. (I realise now that I should have written that in both documents...)

I just hope you will give me the benefit of the doubt and wait a while before making any new judgement.

Here's my address, if you'd rather we talk about this in private :
ramanuman@icqmail.com

In the meanwhile, and once again, if this indeed is your work, all my apologies.

Dude... I just looked at this forbidden file and there are no recommendations in it. Just a description of the service. The same info you can get from windows XP.

Blackviper does have a BV Recommends added at the end.

The reason I bring his page into this is because he has FOR THE MOST PART the same info as yours .

Come on now.... lets drop this...... the file is out and all over the net. I have it and have e-mailed it to 7 of my friends. Im sure they have done the same......

What are you tring to gain or get out of this ??????

Please responed to the first part of the post and not JUST the last part !!!!

;)

Originally posted by BigPete
You deserve what you get, since you felt the urge to come in here and call us all "thieving bastards" when in fact, most people would have understood.
If you read what I said I only called "Ramanuman" & the site owner as 1. copied the info, the other hosted it.

Seeing that people here still don't believe lets do a quick check on just 1 option;

Here's what I have on http://www.techspot.com/tweaks/winxp_services/services-3.shtml
;"Automatic Updates. Enables the download & installation of critical Windows updates. For those who’d rather not take the time to visit http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ this feature enables Windows XP to automatically check for & download any updates available. Before deciding on a Startup setting for this Right click on My Computer & select Properties. Now select the Automatic Updates tab.

print.5.gif

Should you select either of the top 2 options then set this Service to Automatic to ensure it works correctly, but if you instead selected Turn off automatic updating then set this to Manual."

Here's what "Ramanuman" has;

"Automatic Updates.
Enables the download & installation of critical Windows updates. For those who’d rather not take the time to visit Windowsupdate this feature enables Windows XP to automatically check for & download any updates available. Before deciding on a Startup setting for this Right click on My Computer & select Properties. Now select the Automatic Updates tab.

Should you select either of the top 2 options then set this Service to Automatic to ensure it works correctly, but if you instead selected Turn off automatic updating then set this to Manual."

Word for word copy. Only thing missing are the links & images. You can do this for every single setting covered in my guide against his. & of course overclockersclub.com was where the Computer Browser option is copied from.

Read Ramanuman post...... This should end this thread !!!!

From the file in question

Here's a list of services on XP with instructions on what they do, and which you can safely disharm. I got these info from 2 different sources, given below. One suggested a lot of « disabling », while the other generally recommanded puting on « manual » what you feel isn't needed, for safety's sake. -I personally go for the « manual » option, but give these to you as I got them.

SOURCE : http://www.3dspotlight.com/tweaks/winxp_services/index.shtml
(Also : http://www.overclockersclub.com/windowsxpservices.shtml)

You called "xp-erience.org" thieving bastards. Considering I am a member as well as just about everyone here, that is somewhat offensive. Why dont you just take a hike, because no one around here cares about your problem anymore. You are rude and have issues that need addressing.

Pete

TS Thomas

Hey... grow up..... At what point did I turn into a 12 year old to you ??????

:confused:

Ok. I'm not taking responsability.

Sure wish you'd been more civil and had e-mailed me about it first, though.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vinit
Back