XBOX 360 - Am I missing something?

madmatt

Awesome is as awesome does.
Political Access
I'm not a gamer by any means but I like to keep up-to-date on the latest happenings when it comes to consoles. I was catching up this morning and I came across this article.

Xbox wasn't showing up to TGS empty-handed, nosiree. They've finally stepped up with a couple of interesting, albeit expected, announcements. First up: the Xbox 360 HD DVD drive finally has a price and date of launch -- for Japan. The land that forgot the Xbox are first to have their HD DVD add-on announced, due to hit overseas streets on November 17th for ¥19,800. That's about $170 US, which is not only an awesomely and unexepectedly low price for an HD DVD device (especially when bundled with a Xbox 360 Universal Media Remote), but it's also a good indication that the US version of the device should be around the $200 range when released in the US, as we've been predicting. Part two: a software update this year will enable 1080p output on the friggin' Xbox 360! Your rig will finally benefit by pushing the full 60 megapixels per second of visuals to your compatible HDTV. Sorry, no HDMI cable yet (or ever?), though, this is only over component and VGA. Users can expect 1080p upscaling immediately on current games and DVDs and native 1080p on compatible HD DVD titles, but Microsoft hasn't yet announced future games that will rock 1080p natively. Watch out Sony, that whole 1080p song and dance isn't such a marketing edge for you guys anymore.

P.S. -Just to sate your curiosity, we were chatting with Shane Kim about this stuff and asked specifically about 360s with an internal HD DVD. Microsoft's answer is and continues to be a staunch no. That whole thing about paying only for what you need, etc.

Update: It would appear there's some contradictory information already -- Reuters is reporting that it'll be November 22nd for ¥20,790 (about $180 US). Our press release and conversation with Shane Kim are both pretty straight up about November 17th for ¥19,800, so we'll see how it unfurls. Ultimately it shouldn't matter too much to those reading this post, we're still talking about the Japanese release of the device.

Firstly, why isn't the XBOX 360 this cheap in the US? Secondly, why isn't the XBOX 360 coming out in the US with these features (I know it says it will be available but why does Japan get it first)?

I can certainly understand Sony releasing products in Japan first, but Microsoft has always released new products in the US first.

Can someone shed some light on this?

1. I could ask the same of the UK.

Japan Release -> Price Hike -> US Release -> Price Hike++ -> Euro Release.

It's just the way it goes, and always will do.

2. Microsoft really need to push the Xbox in Japan, it's a complete and utter flop over there for some reason. The Japanese seem to favour playing with pretend dogs on their Nintendo DS portables, than uber-shiny graphics and wireless controllers.

I guess that Microsoft are just throwing some extra tech their way to see if it will make any difference.

Could be less tax, less costs for the thing to travel from the factory and of course incentive to buy.

As already pointed out, the 360 is doing horribly in Japan and MS is just trying to sell as many 360s as they can before Nintendo and Sony bring out their machines.

And that's another thing that bothers me. The company was born and raised here in the United States, yet all the labor and help desks are shipped overseas.

Regardless, I can understand Japan being a crucial market (and Japanese are very loyal to home grown brands) but that still doesn't explain why it would be released there first.

Are the chips and general internal gubbins being produced in Japan? If so, surely that would explain things some more.

I think the lagging sales in Japan justify them giving them something exclusive for a while though.

That makes sense. Obviously Microsoft isn't dumb, they've put a lot of thought and effort into the release.

The japanese generaly dont buy consoles/games developed outside japan. Especially western companies. Its accounted for by Patriotism and distrust of products from other countries.

What are you guys talking about, read the article again, the $200 price point is for the HD-DVD drive ONLY.... not for the console.

1. I could ask the same of the UK.

Japan Release -> Price Hike -> US Release -> Price Hike++ -> Euro Release.

It's just the way it goes, and always will do.

2. Microsoft really need to push the Xbox in Japan, it's a complete and utter flop over there for some reason. The Japanese seem to favour playing with pretend dogs on their Nintendo DS portables, than uber-shiny graphics and wireless controllers.

can i add to that list?
3. Region lock to prevent arbitrage opportunities.

What are you guys talking about, read the article again, the $200 price point is for the HD-DVD drive ONLY.... not for the console.

4. I never read the article properly, thanks Lancer

sorry guys i played the part of the obnoxous english guy well :)

And that's another thing that bothers me. The company was born and raised here in the United States, yet all the labor and help desks are shipped overseas.

Regardless, I can understand Japan being a crucial market (and Japanese are very loyal to home grown brands) but that still doesn't explain why it would be released there first.

its being released there first as a marketing ploy, hopefully to make the japanese feel extra special, and that the Xbox team see them as extra important, hopefully this will translate into more loyalty towards the xbox brand.

Last edited by a moderator:
Goodness, my bad. Thank you.

Cookies awarded for making me feel dumb! =)

i know and you're the one that posted it, are you blonde matt?

I didn't realize everyone thought that the 360 itself was $200.

I can't see it taking much longer for MS to become that desperate in Japan :p

I fuirther hate to disillusion you guys but the chips are made in China, not Japan. Japanese labor and realestate are too expensive to build foundries.

I Wasn't talking about production costs, just general shipping costs :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back