Xbox 2 Launch

Did I read that correctly. A built in "file sharing" program. Since its MS I have to wonder how RIAA will respond to this when thousands of people start sharing songs, programs, etc?

napalmnthemorning said:
Did I read that correctly. A built in "file sharing" program. Since its MS I have to wonder how RIAA will respond to this when thousands of people start sharing songs, programs, etc?

I'm pretty sure it will tie into MSN Music, therefore the whole DRM thing comes into play. So I doubt you'll be able to simply take music off of your iPod or rip a CD and send it over to your friends.

It could also be somewhat similar to Grouper - you're allowed to stream songs from your friends, but you can't actually download them.

NetRyder said:
It could also be somewhat similar to Grouper - you're allowed to stream songs from your friends, but you can't actually download them.
That would be my guess as well, and with everything DRM'd like crazy. :p

NetRyder said:
It doesn't need to be DRM'd if you're only allowed to stream. :)
Until someone mods the box and makes it so you can record sound input. ;)

Well, you can already do that on PC's, and there are several apps (including Grouper that I mentioned above) which allow peer-to-peer audio streaming. The RIAA hasn't gone after them because they're not doing anything illegal. :)

NetRyder said:
Well, you can already do that on PC's, and there are several apps (including Grouper that I mentioned above) which allow peer-to-peer audio streaming. The RIAA hasn't gone after them because they're not doing anything illegal. :)
Yeah I suppose. I'm sure anything played local will be DRM'd though. In saying that I wonder how that will work w/ the iPod support as the iPod doesn't work w/ MS DRM Janus.

Xie said:
Until someone mods the box and makes it so you can record sound input. ;)

Just cause you brought modding up.

The modding this time is not going to be as easy as it was on the Xbox. It was built from PC components and therefore it was easy to mod, and all the homebrew software was easy to write. This time the architecture is so much different, I think it'll take a while before we get anywhere near the functionality of the mod-chips on Xbox.

That being said, one of the main reasons people modded their Xboxs was to turn it into a media centre, and since MS is allowing you to do that in a legit way this time, it might not be that bad.

Grandmaster said:
Just cause you brought modding up.

The modding this time is not going to be as easy as it was on the Xbox. It was built from PC components and therefore it was easy to mod, and all the homebrew software was easy to write. This time the architecture is so much different, I think it'll take a while before we get anywhere near the functionality of the mod-chips on Xbox.

That being said, one of the main reasons people modded their Xboxs was to turn it into a media centre, and since MS is allowing you to do that in a legit way this time, it might not be that bad.
PPC has been running *nix for years. ;) I don't think it would take some real geeks that know what they are doing to long to adapt a Linux distro to run on the 360, the most time will be spent getting around the built in protection.

Yeah MS is making Xbox more of a media center this time around, but geeks like to tinker and are still going to want some things (or to change some things) that MS doesn't provide. You'll also have the groups that need "backups".

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back