World of Warcraft

I wasn't being defensive. I don't have to defend anything. This is a discussion forum where we ... believe it or not, discuss. If I find your arguments without merit, I will say so, that is what I did. When I mentioned obligated, I was referring to WoW. They are not obligated to do anything for the holidays, yet they did.

My take is this... I'm not abjectly opposed to a subscription fee. However, some of the issues I have seen with b.net (at least the free b.net) would be issues I would rather not expect when paying a subscrip. Some of this includes bots, games crashing when players are still in them, and some other issues. Other then some people's indications of what they have seen with WoW, I don't have first hand experience, so would rather reserve judgement on what does, or does not transpire on subscription based b.net, as opposed to the b.net I've logged into and played on... The experience, might not be the same afterall...

I do know however that for a time I had a subscription for Everquest. The game also didn't like my former Athlon XP 1900+ setup, as the game would crash every so many minutes into game play. I had even lost characters before, and had to get other players help me retrieve my body, as when it crashed my comp (that game just didn't like my previous hardware for some reason), my body kept running but I wasn't attached to the server anymore. Logged back in and oops...

No offence, but as long as that game wasn't running stable on my hardware (regardless of the cost), I wasn't going to continue paying a monthly subscrip. I had renewed the subscription on occassion, just to see if the problem had been resolved, but it never was.

When finances are more in order however, I might be willing to give it a chance. Also, some of the buddies I've played LoD with, have gone on to play WoW themselves, much of the time...

vern said:
I doubt they have new dungeons and features in Diablo:LOD after five years. The upcoming 1.9 patch adds some nice features and new content including new instances. Can't really compare apples and oranges. Just as someone would pay for hosting ... users pay for WoW. Players are paying for the service, not the individual product.

Actually, the 1.10 patch was another major revision, somewhat along the lines of the 1.08 patch. Though not as big as LoD (aka no new act or char classes), there was an introduction of synergies which has almost forced people to rebuild their chars to make use of it, as well as a crap load of new rune words, which in some places have replaced uniques as the "must have" elite items.

Things like eBOTD (etheral breath of the dying), where a single handed zerker axe I have out in open (OK, I was testing some stuff, to see what I would want to shoot for on realm chars) can do 500 1 handed, very fast attack speed damage. It also includes a lot of interesting mods.

Or things like enigma, which can allow any char class to teleport now, items that will add auras (be it to players or mercs) and some other modifications. All in all, it has seen some changes...

In .11, there's also now the quest of killing the ubber uniques, in a tristram portal one can open in act 5, after getting the various keys. Ubber mephi was a royal pain though :eek: Some of the minions down there, are also now immune to 5 forms of damage... As reward, one can get a hellfire torch, which has way better stats then an anhillus, and some other drops... I guess this could qualify as another "quest" of sorts, albeit it isn't one that shows up in the quest log.

Did the first few bosses in Molten Core last night, the first day of a two day raid (thursday and sunday night)

17 epic drops.
Only one hunter and I didn't have enough DKP to put a good bid in :s

Electronic Punk said:
Did the first few bosses in Molten Core last night, the first day of a two day raid (thursday and sunday night)

Aww :( The DKP system seems hardly fair at times. I'm pretty close to being a charter member of my guild (been there since before anyone was 40), but since I don't have time to go to all the raids, I'm actually getting beat on DKP by people who hit 60 just weeks ago.

Dragon kill points...most big raiding guilds have a point system where you earn points for various reasons, like showing up on time, downing bosses, staying to the end of the raid, etc. It's to prevent someone who contributes nothing to the guild to just pop in on your raid and get the nicest loot.

But it also is flawed in that it prevents pillars of the guild, who happen to be casual players, from getting nice items. No system can be perfect i guess.

Last edited:
Son Goku ... i know nothing of LoD now since I have played it in a long long time, when I mentioned 1.9, I was referring to WoW's 1.9 patch which came with tons of things including a new 40/20 man dungeon. Because the opening is a world event, some servers are just now starting to get into it. I don't know how far Kermit has actually gotten into WoW, I'm guessing not too far.

---

DKP points don't actually prevent casual players from getting items, it just favors players who attend more. In the end, all players of the guild eventually do get the items, but people who have put more time in get the items first. We have very active warlocks in my guild including me and I am still 4th in the list even though I've been to almost every raid. Warlock drops have been very slim even though our warriors are getting pimped to hell, but when a warlock item does drop, I will bid the items to hell even if I don't win.

Not only that, but call me evil but I don't think people should buy gold externally - ruins the ingame economics.

Electronic Punk said:
Not only that, but call me evil but I don't think people should buy gold externally - ruins the ingame economics.

People have been saying that for years, the fact of the matter is that in game sales ruin in-game economics as well...

SONY realized this, and decided to cash in... there are certain things in-game which are so rediculously hard to get, that it simply is not worth playing all those hours, if it isnt BOP then I say buy it, rather than spend the hours it takes getting said item..

Yeah but it pushes price up on normal items for those of us that don't do that.

I have seen thorium headed bullets double in price and major healing potions prices increase... even runecloth has doubled in price

I've gotten my hands on a "guest" key and may try this crazy thing called WoW while I await PvP launching in EQ2 next month. :)

Xie said:
I've gotten my hands on a "guest" key and may try this crazy thing called WoW while I await PvP launching in EQ2 next month. :)

Couple of helpful hints for you: Check warcraftrealms.com first when selecting a server. Over 20k active players (adding both factions together) = long queue times. Less than 10k active players = never finding a group (or reasonable guild).

Also, Normal servers largely seem to have kinder, more helpful players. Most social miscreants who desire to do nothing more than irritate others have selected PvP to inflict maximum grief on others. Also, a high horde population is desireable, but not necessary. However, if you ever want to be in a battleground, never choose the side with an overabundance of players.

All these things I have learned by experience, being alliance on an alliance-overpopulated server. The brightest spot on my WoW experience, however, is that I chose to be a warlock, an underplayed but necessary class. Druid isn't a bad option either.

Many of the well-populated servers aren't allowing new character creation, by the way.

Thanks Petros. :) Will check it out before I create my character.

I hate how some companies are cashing in on the idea that allows people to spend cash for in-game incentives. I like how Blizzard has made the majority of the most desireable items and I believe Tier 2 epics from Blackwing Lair ... Bind on Pickup. They can buy as much gold as they want, but they'll never buy the best equipment.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
junebutlertd
Back