Wireless router

Stu

OSNN Junior Addict
Hi again everyone.

Got my new toy today (a Belkin wireless router - F5D6231-4), set it all up as described above - no internet :-( I do need a ethernet conenction on the modem after all. I assumed that I would be able to set my PC up as the gateway for the laptop and my sister's computer to connect through and just use the router as a way of file sharing. That doesn't work so now I've got two choices:

1. Find out if BT supply a ethernet modem (unlikely)

2. Do without the laptop being connected to the network (looking more and more likely).

Can anyone offer any workarounds that may work.

For referance. My computer which is connected to the internet is Windows XP Home, my sister's computer is Windows XP Home and the laptop is Windows 98SE.

Thanks a lot :)

With a wireless router. Connect both computers to its LAN ports.
Don't connect anything to its WAN (Internet) port. Disable the
router's DHCP server so that it doesn't interfere with ICS. You will need two nics on the one computer that is hooked to the modem.

Why not just set the router up normally so that the router assigns each computer an ip address without having to mess with going through another computer? If all 3 have wireless cards, then take an ethernet cable from the modem to the router, and then from there to the computers? Unless you have dialup, at which point, I'm at a loss for words...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back