Windows Vista Pre-RC1 (Build 5456) on Connect

I'd be suprised if Logitech stepped up with working webcam drivers, there support for 64bit was shocking - can't recommend them at all.

Finally got 5456 installed. Here are my favorite changes:

IE7 - When using CTRL+T to open a new tab, the address bar is immediately selected so you can just begin typing the URL.

Resource Monitor - Is this new?If it is not they must have drastically changed it. It is awesome. I like how they show throughput rates and basically all of the data is welcomed information. It is cool to see your disk output in kb/s.

Permissions - it asks less, but it doesnt pop up. Flashes in the taskbar.

Aero seems to work better on my laptop's NVS 120m 512mb but the performance rating only sees 256mb's and gives it a 3.2... i am guessing it tested the speed of the vram and found it to be slow due to the 64-bit mem controller.

Thats all the further ive gotten with this build. Id call it "much better" than beta 2.

Alright so now IE7+ does not really work. When it starts up it just freezes, stops responding and is forced to quit. Ive submitted that bug several times but for some reason I cant even hit ESC before it tries to load the page in case the default page is causing it to lock.

I was worried I was going to be able to download an alternate browser either, then I realized my flash drive I just used to saved the password for BitLocker on has portableFirefox on it!

About BitLocker, it took about 30 minutes for it to encrypt and I am still not positive on what the program does. It didnt have any directions or documentation so I hope I didnt just do something bad. :)

it helps to read..

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/windowsvista/library/c61f2a12-8ae6-4957-b031-97b4d762cf31.mspx

my D820 has TPM but why didn't it use that rather than the clunky USB?

posts merged

Last edited by a moderator:
Permissions - it asks less, but it doesnt pop up. Flashes in the taskbar.

What do you mean by Permissions? UAC? and what do you mean by flashes in the taskbar? It doesn't go to Secure Desktop anymore?

What do you mean by Permissions? UAC? and what do you mean by flashes in the taskbar? It doesn't go to Secure Desktop anymore?
Ok I think that was a fluke... briefly they were 'popping under'. if you did not click the flashing taskbar the request for permission timed out and tells you so with an error popup.

Now it is back to 'normal', the screen dims and the UAC comes to the forefront. It doesnt do it as much though..

Awesome.... I LIKE the fact that it has UAC, I just HATE the fact that the damned screen flickers everytime :|

Awesome.... I LIKE the fact that it has UAC, I just HATE the fact that the damned screen flickers everytime :|
The flicker sucks, I hope they fix that. If they could transition it to a fade like they have for the windows start......that'd be better.

mmmm welcome to Beta software... My ISO just finished downloading, but I'm not sure if I can be bothered installing it. :D

do it.. i enjoy this one! i have been using it for hours now. default OS for the laptop...

Downloading now, should get it installed tomorrow. I found the public beta unbearable and barely touched it.

I cannot believe we went backwards with the startup sequence. Before, the large windows pearl that radiates light was perfect and now it is terrible looking. The animation is centered in black but the image does not merge withthe blackness because the light goes to the edge of the image. If that makes any sense to you at all you deserve a lot of money... sorry.

I get the windows startup sound twice in a row..... it's a little clunky too. But the fade-out-fade-in is finally smooth!

IE7+ still does not work for me, freezes as soon as it starts and stays like that forever. I even let it stay open for a few hours to see if maybe the process was not getting the necessary CPU time but it didnt come out of it.

Lots of bugs that werent in the last version. Even so, its progress in the right direction.

Check your proxy settings in IE - turn off auto-detect (you can do all this via the control panel)

Should be a new build released within a week, something around build 5466 :)

Somehow 5456 corrupted some system files and crashed on me. I was running 32 bit but thought I'd change over to 64. Right after I burned the .iso I spotted a rumor on the tech net stating that 5466 might be out this weekend. The good part is 5466 only requires 512 mb ram to run. It seems like a minor bug fix but I guess I'll let that dvd cool in the burner just in cast the rumors are true.

The 512MB at this point is a rumor. All it says is that it will be less intensive on resources, which could be related to GPU, CPU, RAM or HD space.

I would wreckon it will be slightly above 5466, and yeah based on the flood of screenshots available for it :)

http://www.winfuture.de

I suspect we won't see that build, but I am very much looking forward to what we might see next, this build had obvious glaring bugs so I am hoping those will be fixed and then spit shine can start to be thrown in.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back