Windows Vista Pre-RC1 (Build 5456) on Connect

lkyng

OSNN Addict
Title Windows Vista Build 5456 English builds for x86 and x64
Release Date 6/23/2006
Size 5,929.81 MB (for both versions)
Version 5456
Category Build
Milestone Description Windows Vista Beta 2 English builds for x86 and x64.

This package contains Ultimate, Home Basic, Home Premium, and Business binaries.
NOTES:
  1. You must downoad and read these release notes below prior to installing this build.
  2. Please ensure you select to download from either Redmond or Dublin for optimum speeds Do not download from Singapore.
0x80E3B54D vista_5456.5.060620-1700_winmain_idx03_x86fre_client-LB2CFRE_EN_DVD.iso (2.5gig)

0x0D680F43 vista_5456.5.060620-1700_winmain_x64fre_client-LB2CxFRE_EN_DVD.iso (3.3gig)

Download: http://connect.microsoft.com

Direct link to page (in case Connect starts to die - ( https://connect.microsoft.com/Downloads/DownloadDetails.aspx?SiteID=4&DownloadID=2174 )

CD keys from both the public release version of Vista and the Connect versions should work (for those of you not on the technical beta but think you can still a get a copy somewhere)

This version is only for testers with access to the Windows Vista beta on Microsoft Connect

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Windows Vista Build 5456 English released

Nice find lkyng, downloading it now and preparing once more to wipe my laptop -- it loves it.
This time the 64bit version is 3.3 gig, and the 32bit version is 2.5gig.

I am going to go into your thread a bit lkyng and add a few more details as it is the first one people will see!

Last edited:
Re: Windows Vista Build 5456 English released

I downloading :)

Re: Windows Vista Beta 2 (Build 5456) on Connect

What's the difference between Connect version and the beta2 version I got from public domain?

Also, I'm not a member, can I still download this new one?

Only Connect members can get this. As for differences? Who knows, I still have 1.8 gig to go, I know Bink and his 20 meg net connection were faster, so maybe he will see something.

I am hoping this is based on the Avalon version I saw with anti-aliasing on the cool flip.

The version just released to the public is over a month old so we could see changes just as good as those between one CTP release and the next.

I have been a bit of a geek and kept all Vista downloads so far 5112, 5219, 5231, 5270, 5308, 5342, 5365, 5381, 5384 (thats 25 gig of Vista images)

Perhaps the new non-glass theme? Tho I suspect that will come in RC1 if it is going to come at all.

Microsoft has just released a new build of Windows Vista for technical beta testers. Windows Vista Build 5456 offers many security, functionality, and performance advantages over the previous build (Beta 2 - build 5384.4). Vista Build 5456 is quite a large leap number-wise, and according to Microsoft, in features and performance as well.
Some of the new features include a revamped Aero/DWM subsystem, and a completely overhauled and siginficantly less obtrusive UAP for all those that couldn’t stand the previous one. From what we have been told by Microsoft, the Time Zone bug that plagued all most all previous builds of Windows Vista has been patched, and quite a few fixes in the Regional Settings and IME have been patched.

http://neosmart.net/blog/archives/198

Hope they sort out the amount of resource needed to run Vista. Cant even run it without disabling desktop composition ever time vista loads up.

Remove Applications Before Upgrading
When upgrading Windows Vista Beta2 x64 to Windows Vista 5456 x64 you may be unable to uninstall applications after the upgrade is completed. We recommend users uninstall any applications prior to upgrade that you may need to remove after the upgrade has completed.

Potential Data Loss with Windows Mail
Existing Windows Mail settings AND Data will NOT migrate successfully from Beta 2 to 5456. Be sure to use Windows Easy Transfer to save any Windows Mail data you care about before upgrading. You will receive an error message when first booting into 5456.5 that says “Unable to upgrade your message databases.” Once the upgrade completes you can restore your Windows Mail settings and data using Windows Easy Transfer.

Last Logged in User Changed on Upgrade
When upgrading from Beta 2 to 5456, the last logged in username shown at the logon screen after completing the upgrade will be Administrator. You will need to click the “Switch User” button to login as your user account.

Xbox 360 as a Media Center Extender
Support for Xbox 360 as a Media Center extender is not included in this Vista build. In order to continue using the Xbox 360 as a Media Center Extender with Vista, please remain on Beta 2 (build 5384). Support for the Xbox 360 as an Extender will be available in a future Vista build.

Pseudo Localized Text Present
Parts of the OS contain Pseudo-localized text, or non-english characters placed together to approximate English words. (Text that looks similar to the following: “??????§ ?èðì? Þ?äÿ??”) This is used internally, is known and being addressed in future builds.

Username with a . generates error
On a clean install, during OOBE, if you add a username which contains a period (.) in it, you will receive an error message after hitting next that says your computer name is invalid. You will need to remove the period from the computer name to continue. This is set to be fixed in a future build.

Why uninstall applications? They are wanting us to test upgrading from teh previous beta in this release as they intend to support end users who wish to upgrade from beta 2 to release candidate 1

Nice build but only 1 problem with PCcillin, it's block my connection cable and I dont have access to internet so I dont have choice to uninstall it. I use cable with marvell Yukon connection.

I uninstall Pc-Cillin after 3 blue screen of death I run avast and work fine for me.

Could not find any info on the Avalon changes. Can you post in this thread if you know?

Any ATI users seeing visualisations in WMP11?

I installed the beta Cataylst drivers on ati.com and can't see them at all, wondering if that broke them.

Hope they sort out the amount of resource needed to run Vista. Cant even run it without disabling desktop composition ever time vista loads up.

Now that is odd, I have almost identical system specs and Beta 2 runs fine on my machine.

Athlon XP 3700+ (939)
Asus K8N-E
200GB DDR 400
2x200GB Sata
Ati X800 GT 256mb PCIe
onboard sound

http://www.electronicpunk.com/vista/Coolflip.png

Not amazingly anti-aliased but you gotta draw the line somewhere.
That looks much better than the previous builds. :)

I'll probably install this over the weekend. Just moved about 400 miles north and will be here for the next three months, so I've been on and off the road, and I still have to set-up everything in the apartment. :D

That finally looks pretty good.

I read somewhere that 5456 DOES have bug fixes for Aero. Not sure if they've optimised it, but anything that allows the CPU to NOT run at 100% is better regardless ;-)

can anyone direct me to a place i can find the new version??? PM me pls.

Now my IE 7 + 64 Edition's by default I clik all IE shortcut and in Program files :dead: ?????? and my webcam logitech QuickCam® Communicate™ STX doesnt work sorry for color i'm with IE 64 bit and I can't chose the color grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr that's s***.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back