Windows Vista Build 5308 (Feb/Ent CTP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
GEN3RIC said:
I ask just one more question... I burned the DVD as an ISO, will it boot correctly to install? Never done it with not even once with these builds. Just checking in advance.

Ok maybe one more question! I already have 32bit 5308. Will it install directly over 32bit? Or should I make another partition? Or better yet, get rid of 32bit completely? How can I even do that..? It's tough.
Yes, the DVD image is bootable by default. Just make sure the DVD drive is set as your first boot device in your BIOS settings when you reboot, and the Vista installer should come right up if the DVD's in the drive.

If you already have 5308 x86 installed on a partition, first format that partition during setup (on the screen that asks you to choose where you want it installed) and install 5308 x64 on it. You can't upgrade the 32-bit version to x64.

Grandmaster said:
Merge those bloody posts :p
Each post answers different questions from different people. I prefer to keep separate posts in such a situation so that people can easily quote my responses in follow-up posts.

If it bothers you that much, merge them yourself. :p

NetRyder said:
Yes, the DVD image is bootable by default. Just make sure the DVD drive is set as your first boot device in your BIOS settings when you reboot, and the Vista installer should come right up if the DVD's in the drive.

If you already have 5308 x86 installed on a partition, first format that partition during setup (on the screen that asks you to choose where you want it installed) and install 5308 x64 on it. You can't upgrade the 32-bit version to x64.
Ok. Just what I needed to know, Id rather format than repartition my current XP systemroot, since my 200GB SATA is getting pretty thin on space having already been partitioned 3 times now.........

Still at work until 1130, maybe tomorrow I'll report back with some results on how things are going. Thanks.

Re: Windows Vista Beta 1 announced!

Threads merged

landers said:
I cant get my 2200BG to work with vista.. can you help? I sent you a PM.. :-/ please, its been driving me freakin bonkers.
Are you attempting to install third-party drivers or the Intel PRO/Set application? There might be incompatibilities with either of them.
Vista already includes drivers for the 2200BG, and it worked out-of-the-box for me with the built-in wireless configuration tools.

Re: Windows Vista Beta 1 announced!

NetRyder said:
Threads merged

Are you attempting to install third-party drivers or the Intel PRO/Set application? There might be incompatibilities with either of them.
Vista already includes drivers for the 2200BG, and it worked out-of-the-box for me with the built-in wireless configuration tools.
WOW! Thank you so much.. I realized there were compatibility issues with the Pro/Wireless application. All fixed as of now though.. its running fine while windows controls the wireless device. Thank you so very much! you've been repped.

Probably a dumb question, but I'll ask anyways :p

If we got that Tech Beta nomination thingy, and have access to the Beta, does that also in turn give us access to Connect, and possibly access to future beta testing of other software? Or, does that depend on how active we are in bug reporting?

kcnychief said:
Probably a dumb question, but I'll ask anyways :p

If we got that Tech Beta nomination thingy, and have access to the Beta, does that also in turn give us access to Connect, and possibly access to future beta testing of other software? Or, does that depend on how active we are in bug reporting?
Yes, you do get access to Connect, which means you can view and vote on bug reports. You also get access to the official beta newsgroups, which are incredibly active. If you have any questions about the build that nobody here can answer, that would probably be your best bet.

Being in this beta does not guarantee you access to future beta programs, but it definitely increases your chances. If you send in good reports (quality, not quantity), all the better.

i am trying to install Vista. I have DL it fromt eh connect.MS.com...the 64bit version and i have mounted it but when i try to run the setup.exe it says that this isnt a 32bit application.

any ideas?

i am DL the 32bit version of vista now..

Are you running Windows XP 32-bit?

You can't upgrade from a 32-bit OS to a 64-bit OS. Must do a format and clean install.

I think

IDLE said:
i am trying to install Vista. I have DL it fromt eh connect.MS.com...the 64bit version and i have mounted it but when i try to run the setup.exe it says that this isnt a 32bit application.

any ideas?

i am DL the 32bit version of vista now..
As I mentioned earlier in this thread, you cannot start the x64 Vista installer from a 32-bit version of XP.
You'll need to boot from the x64 DVD if you want to install it.

NetRyder said:
As I mentioned earlier in this thread, you cannot start the x64 Vista installer from a 32-bit version of XP.
You'll need to boot from the x64 DVD if you want to install it.

:runs around the corner shaking:

sorry i didnt want to read all 7 pages.

thank you for letting me know though.

NetRyder said:
Yes, you do get access to Connect, which means you can view and vote on bug reports. You also get access to the official beta newsgroups, which are incredibly active. If you have any questions about the build that nobody here can answer, that would probably be your best bet.

Being in this beta does not guarantee you access to future beta programs, but it definitely increases your chances. If you send in good reports (quality, not quantity), all the better.

I am totally new to newsgroups, how do I access em?

Admiral Michael said:
I am totally new to newsgroups, how do I access em?
You'll need a newsreader first - Outlook Express and Thunderbird are popular choices.

Now login to Connect, click "My Participation," select the Vista program, click "Newsgroups" on the left, and you'll see instructions on how to configure OE (you should be able to figure it out if you decide to use Tbird instead). You'll also have to set a password for your account in the same place.

Once you setup the account, you'll subscribe to all the sections you're interested in, and from that point on, it works a lot like email.

Thanks, downloaded Thunderbird. Have to wait up to 4 hrs for my login to go thru tho.

Tool 20min to download 6mb :s got alot of downloads going :D

god damn it, still can't get it to install. i think my olde test box is fubar. setup keeops crashing or bsod.
Didn't want to have to dual boot causewanted to network between xp and vista and sue at the same time

Just want to ask people not to post the NDA information that came off the announcements forum today, as I want to see how it plays out with those that did post, so please avoid quoting the newsgroup post for now, what? it is on www.bink.nu

Info not from the newsgroup indicates 5342 if for some reason that number means anything :D

Khayman said:
god damn it, still can't get it to install. i think my olde test box is fubar. setup keeops crashing or bsod.
Didn't want to have to dual boot causewanted to network between xp and vista and sue at the same time
Ae you sure it's not a DVD read issue? That came up earlier in the thread. The best way to find out is to run the CRC test (download the CRC Utility from the same place on Connect) on the DVD while it's in the drive of the machine you want to install it on. If it passes the CRC check, then you know it's not an issue with the DVD/drive.

Electronic Punk said:
Just want to ask people not to post the NDA information that came off the announcements forum today, as I want to see how it plays out with those that did post, so please avoid quoting the newsgroup post for now, what? it is on www.bink.nu

Info not from the newsgroup indicates 5342 if for some reason that number means anything :D
Hehe...just when a whole bunch of people here spent a few hours pulling down 5308. :D

NetRyder said:
Ae you sure it's not a DVD read issue? That came up earlier in the thread. The best way to find out is to run the CRC test (download the CRC Utility from the same place on Connect) on the DVD while it's in the drive of the machine you want to install it on. If it passes the CRC check, then you know it's not an issue with the DVD/drive.
how do i run it on the machine with the dvd drive, theres no OS on it

Looks like Paul Thurrott heard it was gonna go RTM on August 25th, but has now been delayed two months...

...Thats still over 2 months we will get to play with it before it hit the shelves I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vinit
Back