Windows Vista Build 5308 (Feb/Ent CTP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Paul T has updated his writeup to reflect recent product convention information:

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/winvista_editions.asp

EDIT:
Windows Vista 5308.60 has been released:

5308.60 ISO Details:
Name: FebCTP_5308.60_32bit_Main_Unstaged_DVD_EN.iso
Description: This image includes both Windows Vista and Longhorn Server. It is an unstaged package.
Size: 2,256.74 MB
Download Link: Microsoft Connect

There is also a 64-bit edition up for download.
The Longhorn Server Core is availabse in 5308.60 in under 700 MB for those who are only interested in the core & kernel.

Last edited:
Wow, Check out these screenshots comparing Aero effect vs the Basic UX :s

Here’s a snippet of an Aero effect in a typical window:
aero_user_experience.jpg

Here’s the same view using the Basic UX:
basic_user_experience.jpg

http://www.edbott.com/weblog/?p=1272

If that's not a selling point for which version I will need, I don't know what is :D

Whats funny is I perfer Basic UX. lol Not because its faster or anything because its not I just think it looks better atm. ;)

That's your decision, but I disagree completely. That picture clarity is jaw-dropping :D

madmatt said:
The end user has the option to set a password for the Administrator account during setup. It isn't Microsoft's fault that users aren't smart enough to properly configure security; so please don't blame Microsoft.
Hey,

True, but you see it's Microsoft responability, or at least it should be, to make their OS as secure as possiable. And by not requring strong passwords by default is not secure and stupid. Granted no company in their right mind will allow blank passwords, though I've seen it many times. ;)

The problem is most home users don't know any better and they perfer convience over security ever time. So that's why Microsoft has not changed the default setting, because I guess they believe it will make it too much of a hassle for users. Of course that's a cop out, they are just trying to keep users happy. :p

cya,

Will

There's some bogus news floating around about the new 5308.60 drop on Connect somehow being magically "better" compared to the original 5308.17 ISO that was posted on Feb 22nd. Don't believe it. The only changes in 5308.60 are in the Longhorn Server files, so unless you're testing that, don't bother downloading the new ISO. The Vista Client build is absolutely identical to 5308.17.

That's a lot of specifics, what bugs did you find?

I would think you'd expect bugs from Beta software, otherwise it would be ready for RTM, and even then there are still bugs :p

Well, been playing with the new build for a few days now and my first impression was that it looks waaaaay sexy compared to the other builds. But after you're finished drooling all over the place when you discover one cool bit after another, it is clear there still are quite a few bugs to clean up...as you would expect from a beta. The performance is still pretty bad..not totally crap like the last builds, but still not quite there yet.
Anyhow, I look forward to the next build already LOL :D
BTW, I'm back on my nLite XP now :)

kcnychief said:
That's a lot of specifics, what bugs did you find?

I would think you'd expect bugs from Beta software, otherwise it would be ready for RTM, and even then there are still bugs :p
Hey,

I'm under DNA so I can not say about most of them.

However, I can post these two because it's public information. ;)

As you can see the font is all scewed up, it happens randomly.

And the start button icon as disapeared for no apparent reason.

Above is what the desktop looks like.

Have to restart if you start getting above sadly. Annorying. Happened a few times in last hour...

All deleted files show up twice in recycle bin. You get a werid error when empty recycle bin, again random.

No major crashes and explorer.exe has not crashed a single time today, been playing around with it since like 11am so for about 5hours...pretty darn good...

I take that back, just remember. Load up quicktime 7.04 and have a nice crash. However, some times no crash you just get an error saying that desktop decompostion has been tempariliy disabled. Some times though its not temparily and you have to restart to fix.

Well, winfx just installed fine, off to reboot. :)

Oh what the hell. :(

Take Care,

Will

PS: I'll post more later if people ask me to. ;)

PS: I have now filled 45bugs just for 5308 and 358 for build 5270. crazy! Luckyly 95% of them are not major. Thouh the other five are either major or criticial. So like 20 of them.

Last edited:
ElementalDragon said:
Netryder, how exactly would i go about doing that?
See here: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/windowsvista/library/85cd5efe-c349-427c-b035-c2719d4af778.mspx

How to modify BCD when installing a previous version of Windows onto a computer running Windows Vista

To install an older Windows operating system on a computer running Windows Vista, use the following procedure.
To install a previous version of Windows onto a computer running Windows Vista

1. Install the previous version of Windows.

2. Log on to the older operating system and restore the latest boot manager by running the following. Fixntfs.exe will be in the \boot directory of the active partition.

fixntfs /lh

3. Create a BCD entry for the older operating system by specifying the following. Bcdedit.exe is located in the \Windows\System32 directory of the Windows Vista partition. Description is the description of the new entry for the older operating system.

Bcdedit /create {legacy} /d “Description”

Bcdedit /set {legacy} device boot

Bcdedit /set {legacy} path \ntldr

Bcdedit /displayorder {legacy} /addlast

4. Restart the computer in order for the changes to take effect.

Beta software is supposed to be buggy, that's why they have beta testers.

If you don't like it, stop testing :D

Good job, Will. Keep sending those bug reports in. :)

The gift certificate I'm supposed to get with which I was going to pick up an additional HDD for Vista still hasn't arrived. I'm getting impatient, so I'm downloading the 32-bit 5308 ISO now and installing it on the laptop tonight. I'll reconsider dual-booting on the desktop once I get the new drive.

kcnychief said:
Where is the gift certificate coming from?
From Microsoft, funnily enough. :)
The gift cert itself has nothing to do with Vista or the beta program at all though. It's for a completely different reason.

erm...... i think MS was kinda off? i can't run fixntfs, and there is no boot directory on my C drive.... or at least not that i can find.

i'll probably just re-install it at a later date. nothing really on it, cept having installed drivers already.

NetRyder said:
From Microsoft, funnily enough. :)
The gift cert itself has nothing to do with Vista or the beta program at all though. It's for a completely different reason.
Explain, now. :)

kcnychief said:
Beta software is supposed to be buggy, that's why they have beta testers.

If you don't like it, stop testing :D
I think you have me all wrong.

I'm just saying its buggy thats all. I love beta testing. Thats why I've sumited so many bugs. Hope to see vista be a kick ass product real soon. I just hope I dont have to wait to sp1 for all the bugs to be fixed. Just got a ton of emails with resolution of other and microsoft saying it will be fixed in the first service pack. :( But at least thats better than nothing. oh well

Here's some more related to above. Really werid display issues. :(

Huge send to menu, what the heck happened...

Shows that windows are opening behind the current window, in the background, when they should be opening in the foreground. See the recycle bin window is on screen and I opend the Vista folder. You even see the Vista folder blinking in the taskbar. Really strange.

All the text is missing from admin tools, only the icons are there. Really werid.

Network center is dead, just a black screen. You can see though I'm still connected fine to the network. Have no idea what happened.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back