Windows Vista Build 5270 (Dec CTP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bring on the feature-complete build! I'll probably install this one on my desktop finally. :D

The guy (Jim Allchin) is a genius but he makes me nervous. After reading the article with Thurrott
http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/winvista_jimallchin.asp
It seems the virtual folders are taking a back seat and the sidebar may or may not be included. And as far as the anti-phishing and other integrated security programs, I hope it doesn't bog down the system. Its just so easy to be critical at this point, but I'm sure Allchin will put together a incredible OS and he can retire and ride out on a blaze of glory into the sunset.

Can somebody elaborate what they mean when they are talking about the Virtual Folders? I am not really positive what WinFS exactly is anymore, and the Virtual Folders thing is a little confusing as well.

Can anybody lay it out real flat for us all?

Looks like there won't be an official "Beta 2", just differently named CTP's....

Microsoft-Watch has just posted a really interesting story concerning the remainder of the Windows Vista beta phase. According to Microsoft's own Jim Allchin, the software giant will not be releasing any one build labeled as the definitive Vista Beta 2. Instead the company is going to rely on additional CTP builds of the next-generation operating system to receive fresh feedback from the enthusiast and beta community.

http://www.neowin.net/index.php?act=view&id=32179

napalmnthemorning said:
and the sidebar may or may not be included.
All I can say is this - the Sidebar is in the Feb CTP unless something changes between now and the date it's released to us. If you read a little bit into that statement, it should tell you something. Don't ask. ;)

Ok, I was getting confused so I asked Microsoft (nicely), here is what I was told:

Late February/Early March - CTP for TAP customers and technical beta.
Late April - CPP; Wide open beta for everyone and anyone else.

I somehow get the feeling the Feb CTP build has already been finalized and is being tested internally.

Well, look at it this way - at least you'll get a build that's more polished, performs better, is closer to the final version, and has fewer bugs.
You'll get a better first impression. :)

I've played with a few past builds here and there, but this one really gets me hot.

It will go on my production machine and I will beat it like a red-headed step child :)

wwwdjrcs said:
I've played with a few past builds here and there, but this one really gets me hot.

It will go on my production machine and I will beat it like a red-headed step child :)

:s lol

You guys think I will be able to install this one at least? :laugh: I still can't get 5270 installed on my desktop and I have to assume it is because of my hard drive or some other hardware issue. It loads setup files then it reboots, you see the longhorn splash screen, then it goes to the BSOD. I cant say I really enjoy 5270 on my laptop at all...... 64mb 4200Go not supported.

Mary Jo Foley today reports that Build 5308 will be the February Vista CTP, and is scheduled for release to beta testers this week.

I could have just told you seventeen days ago, but where's the fun in that? ;p

While Microsoft officials had told its core of elite beta testers to expect
the next Windows Vista milestone on Tuesday, February 21, it now looks as
Microsoft is now planning on delivering the code later in the week. Our
sources are saying Vista Build 5308 will likely be christened the February
Community Technology Preview (CTP). And it's now sounding like testers will
be able to start playing with that build on Friday or Saturday. Microsoft,
for its part, isn't talking publicly about its CTP plans, other than to
maintain the next test build will be ready in this calendar quarter.

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/

Am I corect in thinking that Vista will support multiple sound devices? So I can play my fgame and my wife can record a move at the same time?

About an hour before the December CTP was released, I had a conference call with MS to tell me about the new features so I could be ready to get an article together etc.

I can't say much more, but I have a conference call tonight :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back