Windows Vista Build 5270 (Dec CTP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
legodude83089 said:
Actually that picture in Windows is 1600x1200 so I'd call that HD but it isn't widescreen.

I'd call it hi-res. it doesn't look 'live' enough to be HD.

Electronic Punk said:
If I could keep the "my computer" icon as one of those in that small square it would mean I would never have icons on my desktop...

That would be so cool :)
The sidebar is completely useless unless you have a large resolution.. as of right now I am on a 15" LCD at 1024x768 (it was free) and just thinking about using that sidebar as well as trying to have ANY opens windows makes me shudder.. 3007FP + 7800GTX here I come..

legodude83089 said:
Actually that picture in Windows is 1600x1200 so I'd call that HD but it isn't widescreen.
Why must people shrink these images down to nothing? I want to see it at 1600x1200 in all of its glory with little to no compression!

Electronic Punk said:
In the background there, was a pretty much working rotating app thing (the name eludes me) was still pretty jagged and I was told it was still being worked on.
Flip3D is the name. :D
And yes, it definitely needs anti-aliasing.

Electronic Punk said:
If I could keep the "my computer" icon as one of those in that small square it would mean I would never have icons on my desktop...

That would be so cool :)
Yeah, you can. It's basically a Quick Launch toolbar-like widget called the "Launcher"
We saw a preliminary version of it at the PDC last year. The new design looks so much sexier though. :)

I have never been a fan of quicklaunch, well .. not really its cool but I am not using it now for example... I could definatly use it tho

Lets hope it is in the next CTP *checks watch*

Wow...I love the sidebar. I'm running on 1024x768 too though...I still wanna give it a go though. Any word on how to get it running? I've been toying around with Vista for a while now but I haven't found a trace of it.

It'd be cool if you could scale the sidebar just like you can with the icons (holding Ctrl and using you mouse's scroll).

apu95 said:
Wow...I love the sidebar. I'm running on 1024x768 too though...I still wanna give it a go though. Any word on how to get it running? I've been toying around with Vista for a while now but I haven't found a trace of it.

It'd be cool if you could scale the sidebar just like you can with the icons (holding Ctrl and using you mouse's scroll).
There was a unreleased version of the sidebar that worked using a hack on 5219. I don't know if it still works on 5270, but it's not worth the trouble yet. There aren't any useful gadgets, and it doesn't look nearly as nice as the one in the screenshot.

I'd wait for the next build if I were you. :)

Sorry guys but I was mistaken. Most of "Vista's new wallpapers" are 1600x1200 however this particular one is actually only 800x600.

Last edited:
napalmnthemorning said:
Should we expect to see another CTP build before beta 2 release.
As of now, yes.

legodude83089 said:
Sorry guys but I was mistaken. Most of "Vista's new wallpapers" are 1600x1200 however this particular one is actually only 800x600. So out of me being wrong, here are some of the better new wallpapers that don't come with windows XP.
Already posted last month :)
http://forum.osnn.net/showthread.php?p=666485#post666485

Not so much related to Vista 'pre-final' builds...

Was just wondering what drivers Vista will be supporting for hardwares?
I'm asking because I'm currently using Creative Audigy Ex Platinum and would like to keep on using it for the foreseeable future as I'm not into music and stuff like that. Have no idea why I went for it in the first place.

ming said:
Not so much related to Vista 'pre-final' builds...

Was just wondering what drivers Vista will be supporting for hardwares?
I'm asking because I'm currently using Creative Audigy Ex Platinum and would like to keep on using it for the foreseeable future as I'm not into music and stuff like that. Have no idea why I went for it in the first place.
Can't really say at this point. Because the new user-mode audio stack was rewritten from the ground up to support features like per-application volume controls, audio has been a rollercoaster-ride of sorts during the last few months. Things seem to be finally settling down with the December CTP.

Drivers keep getting added and removed from the Supplemental Driver pack in each new build, so you can't really tell which devices will be supported out-of-the-box in the RTM build. With that said, the availability of drivers for the Audigy Ex Platinum really depends on Creative in the end. :)

Have two more questions...

1) My dell Inspiron 8500 has 5270 installed fine, albeit it runs very very slowly and it isn't pretty.. but the backlight LCD does not come on unless I boot into XP. Meaning it flickers twice on immediate start up, and if i boot into Vista it will not come on at all..but if i manage to navigate by memory into XP, it'll come on at the logon screen. I D-Sub to my LCD for my desktop and it shows everything including the BIOS.... So what can I do to convince my backlight to turn on? :)

2) Anybody stumble upon any answers as to why I get a BSOD right before the Vista setup? This is with the SATA Maxtor disk drive using VIA RAID drivers.. it just BSOD's and I cant find anybody with this exact error..

how much space does vista need to be able to install, i read somewhere else, 16gb

Khayman said:
how much space does vista need to be able to install, i read somewhere else, 16gb
16GB is way too high. :D

I might have mentioned this here before, but the beta builds create a few new folders in the root directory (InstalledRepository, build etc.) that take up quite a bit of space. Not sure if these will remain in the RTM build, but even if they do, it's definitely not 16GB.

From the one time I have done an install, I believe it was just a hair under 4GB. But, my memory sucks, so I could be wrong :s

As of now it is still on one DVD, so even compressed it can't be more than 6GB or so. I agree with Kunal, 16GB is way too high. Someone must have installed it like 4 times because they can't tie their shoes :p

Next Vista CTP is scheduled for February 21st, which is supposed to be feature complete. Also mentions that Beta 2 should be complete by April.

http://bink.nu/Article5963.bink

I guess Paul T's original prediction of Feb 17th wasn't far off :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back