users SHOULD hybernate

i would rather shutdown. Boot up is faster if i shutdown than hibernate.

TittleBitties said:
i would rather shutdown. Boot up is faster if i shutdown than hibernate.

You probably have too much junk on your machine. :p
My laptop boots up much faster from hibernate than shut down. However, I've formatted and restored the laptop recently so there isn't that many progs installed.

hibernate is quicker, as windows doesn't have to look for stuff and put it into ram, it's already there ;)

hibernate does make a real difference, even on fast pcs, but especially on low/mid range pcs. m$ couldn't speed up the boot, so they made hibernation ;)

The only problem with hibernation is that it doesn't clear out the crap (left behind from previous use) on start up whereas a full boot does.

off topic...

But does leavein Computer on 24/7 do any Harm?? or better to put it on hybernate when wont be usin it?

paul2-0-0-2 said:
off topic...

But does leavein Computer on 24/7 do any Harm?? or better to put it on hybernate when wont be usin it?

Depends how you use the machine to be honest. Obviously wear and tear comes into play if you're a light user, for heavy users it may not make too much of a difference leaving it on - just consumes electricity. :p

You're probably doing more harm by switching it on and off too regularly.

EDIT: Probably wise to switch off/hibernate if you're a light user.

interesting side benefit here you just reminded me of ming;

hibernate time counts toward uptime!

perris said:
I can't see this being possible

Probably is possible if he has excessive junk on his machine (registry etc), having used hibernate for long periods of time without a full reboot in between. And, probably haven't done a fresh install of windows for years which had helped the build up of junk.

TittleBitties said:
Boot up is faster if i shutdown than hibernate.

Just tried hibernate on my older machine with the following spec:

Athlon 1.4GHz
30GB HD 5400rpm

To relate this to what TittleBitties has said, I think I will agree with him that hibernate does take its time to boot up. However, I will also mention that the older machine has not been formatted for quite some time now and you probably will have noticed the spec of the Hard Disk too - it's quite slow.

on your benchmark I stand corrected ming, though I'd like to see that happen myself

Evil Marge said:
I always shut down to save on the electric,I know standby and hibernate use less but each day it's adding money on your lecci bill.
All our tv's are never left on standby as they still use electric and all our sockets are switched of at the wall when not in use as they can still have power running through them :laugh:

Ebenezer, comes to mind here :lick:

Also another quick shortcut by pressing the "shift" key on the shutdown menu the standby tunrs into a hibernate button instead.

I think users should hibernate as well.. you would get less tech calls that way :D

lancer said:
Ebenezer, comes to mind here :lick:
:laugh:
Was the way I was brought up,my dad would go mad if things were left switched on or light's weren't turned off "What do you think this,Blackpool illumination's?" he'd say :rolleyes:

From memory of the research I did waay back when I was trying to get my pc to hibernate, there are only three things which are required for a computer to be able to hibernate.

1) Correct Graphics Card Drivers
2) Correct WDM Audio Card Drivers (the old 9x style VXD drivers wouldnt allow hibernation)
3) Sufficient Disk Space to store the RAM Context

And that was it, with XP and 2000 both use WDM Audio Drivers so it gets down to having the right Graphics and Audio drivers and enough disk space.

Also with hibernation it does use no power at all. I did on a few occasions hibernate my pc, then disconnect it from all devices and electric, then store it for a few weeks and reconnect everything and continue using the pc. Standby on the other hand will fail if the power is removed as the power is required to keep the RAM alive.

yup i remember reading the same thing geffy for the 3 factors.

mine still wont sodding hibernate thought :p and yes i have updated graphics/sound drivers :s

before gong back home my computer used to turn off completly when i select standby but now it does a normal standby fans are still on... my mobo has been acting different since i got back

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back