users SHOULD hybernate

This is bloody brilliant!!!! I ususally Shutdown>power off every night and unplug. It usually takes a while to do this, but hibernate is a gazillion times quicker, especially from resume!! Excellent stuff!! Reps to ya perris! You CAN turn off the power at the socket as well and it still resumes OK!!! TVM!

the best part of hibernation is if you DON'T close the apps you typically use down.

explorer, word, firefox, whatever, on resume, bing, back up, no load time...sweet

I dont have any junk at all. Going into hibernate is fast as hell. Its about 5 sec more to boot back from hibernate then it is from it being off. It doesnt bother me any cause i usally have my computer on alot and if i leave somewhere for the day or longer i turn it off.

perris said:
that's a good discription henyman, but to be perfect, the system won't boot from hibernate at all.

it'll resume

What does boot mean though?

If boot means starting the OS cold, then yes, it does not boot, but if boot means have bios go through it's post, and then having whatever OS is installed dump it's stuff into ram, and cache and start all it's crap, then yes it is a boot.

Windows has to dump the hibernate file back into memory, then synchronise all the calls, check all the states for all the open files/programs.

perris said:
interesting side benefit here you just reminded me of ming;

hibernate time counts toward uptime!

Yeah, that is an unfortunate side effect, people say they have left their PC on 24/7 and have a 30 day uptime, can in effect just Hibernate and still try to prove it with their uptime.

--

As for 24/7 or hibernate/shutdown + bootup.

I have personal experience that hardware which is on 24/7 has less problems when there finally is a shutdown/reboot. I have had several HD's die while powering up. PSU burnouts.

But then again, energy makes the difference. In my house we have so many devices that always stay on, that it is moot point of one more joins the club. We do have our HP printers set to auto shutoff past a certain point, and we make the point of turning the TV, DVD player, cable box, and other devices off during the week, when they are not used anyways.

But PC's, never.

Dublex said:
I think users should hibernate as well.. you would get less tech calls that way :D

Indeed, no more programs that can **** up at boot :p.

Geffy said:
Also with hibernation it does use no power at all. I did on a few occasions hibernate my pc, then disconnect it from all devices and electric, then store it for a few weeks and reconnect everything and continue using the pc.

Thanks for reminding me.

/me goes to fetch the old 8 GB HD that is somewhere in his closet.

Windows XP, installed 9 months ago, never touched.

X-Istence said:
Thanks for reminding me.

/me goes to fetch the old 8 GB HD that is somewhere in his closet.

Windows XP, installed 9 months ago, never touched.

lol.. what are you using at the moment? No HDs? :p jk

ya. i usually shut down my dekstop. lately i've been shutting down my laptop too, but that's just cause it seems like whenever i put the laptop into hibernation, it doesn't want to detect my wireless NIC. is quite the nice feature though.

Geffy said:
Henyman, have you enabled Hibernation :D

yes :p

when i click hibernate is goes to the blue screen sating "preparing to hibernate" then nothing ;) in the end i turn the dam thing off :p

it never gets to the seconds blackscreen with the progress bar :cry: :mad:

Shortcut if anyone wants it:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState Hibernate

Shortcuts for hibernate, standby etc, etc ...... Steve Gibson's Gizmo

Possible reasons for hiberanete being slower that normal startup:
-VERY fragmented hiberfil.sys (one should defrag just before ENABLING hibernate !!)
-Hiberfil.sys located on a harddisk that is MUCH slower than the system disk
-enormous amount of RAM

I wonder how hard it would be to keep a real time hibernate file, and make shut down instantaneous

if possible, this would even be an option for people who hibernate, since it would mean tons more disc thrashing.

arra said:
Shortcuts for hibernate, standby etc, etc ...... Steve Gibson's Gizmo

Possible reasons for hiberanete being slower that normal startup:
-VERY fragmented hiberfil.sys (one should defrag just before ENABLING hibernate !!)
-Hiberfil.sys located on a harddisk that is MUCH slower than the system disk
-enormous amount of RAM
nice post.

tittle, dissable hibernate and defrag, then re enable it, then defrag again

just found out;

if you have a laptop and use standby, just before the battery will go dead, (as set in power options), the os will wake from whatever standby it's in, (s1,2,or 3), and go into s zero, from s zero it will go into hibernate before the battery is depleted

cool

also, if you want to try to enable hardware to awaken the box which doesn't do it yet, go to the device manager, double click the harware you want to enable to wake the computer

if the power options tab is available, you should see a check box that enables that hardware to awaken

this check box however didn't work on my laptop, but it'll probably work for most

So I am able to use hibernation on my laptop without any problems. However, on my desktop, whenever I try to turn hibernation on via Control Panel > Power options, I get a popup box that says "Power Policy Manager unable to reserve hibernate file" with the text "The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.
I've tried doing some searching and I've found that some people have deleted hiberfil.sys file and it then works. But after selecting to show all files and show windows protected files, I don't have a hiberfil.sys to delete! I havne't been able to find anything from M$, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

My setup is as follows
80GB master with 3 partitions C: (Windows), D: (Documents), E: (Games)
GeForce 4 MX440 (your laugh here...) drivers - 53.03
52X CDRW, 16X DVD-ROM
Sound Blaster Live! (with updated drivers)

Thanks
DK

hmmm...new one on me...try to create the file see what happens.

keep in mind that if you have any poorly written drivers that don't support power management then hibernate and standby are going to give problems....these badly written drivers is what gave hibernate a bad name...maybe you still have one of these

hibernate now works on lappy after a formatt/re-install :D

Henyman said:
hibernate now works on lappy after a formatt/re-install :D
:smiley face:

if you can get it working, hibernate is the best tweak you'll do to xp imho

it tkaes ~10 seconds max now to hibernate + about same to start up again :D

Got a bit of a problem with enabling hibernate on my desktop. Can anyone help. Not sure what file it's talking about.

Attachments

• Hibernate.JPG
    Hibernate.JPG
    181.8 KB · Views: 118

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back