Use the new standardised RSS icon with Safari.

Discussion in 'Macintosh' started by SPeedY_B, Dec 27, 2005.

1. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.

2. X-Istence

X-Istence * Political User

WTF? I hate that icon!

3. ~bk

~bk I Political User

I love that icon.

4. Grandmaster

Grandmaster Electronica Addict Political User Folding Team

Ditto. And I don't think anything will probably change the use of that icon now ;)

5. SPeedY_B

Well it looks like a lot of people will be using it soon.

I admit though, I prefer the blue rectangle stating "RSS" more, but some people like Fx's.

Each to their own I guess :)

6. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

Excellent. :)

7. Xie

Xie - geek - Subscribed User Folding Team

Yay for a super icon like that. Great choice over one that actually gives a clue to what it might be. The Fx icon looks like some kind of wireless thing ... :dead:

8. Geffy

Geffy Moderator Folding Team

digital radio ;)

also without a bit of background tweaking the FF feed icon doesnt fit with the Apple icon guidelines. Its lit from the wrong direction.

Once I get back to Uni I might see if I can't make an icon which is similar (ie has the base features of) but complies better with the guidelines. Don't hold your breath though, I am not that much of an artist

9. SPeedY_B

Meh. Using it now, looks fine.

[​IMG]

10. Geffy

still doesnt fit right in my mind

11. NetRyder

It's just a tiny little icon. There are so many other parts of the system that blatantly ignore UI consistency guidelines, and are so much more noticeable compared to a lit-from-the-wrong-direction 16x16 pixel orange square. :p

Last edited: Dec 29, 2005
  12. X-Istence

What parts of the system ignore UI consistency guidelines? Just wondering. All Apple software has to be in the UI consistency guidelines, or it won't pass by QA. If there is UI inconsistency, it is outside of Apple's software most of the time as far as I have seen.

13. NetRyder

14. Geffy

So realistically Safari is the bastard child of a UI anyway and we should accept the orange digital radio button :p

15. muzikool

muzikool Act your wage. Political User

While the UI might fall under Apple's guidelines, it's not consistent across the board. The latest iTunes is different from OS X, and so is Safari. I haven't looked at Kunal's links yet, but I'm sure those are among them. I hope they take care of the inconsistency with 10.5.

16. Xie

Xie - geek - Subscribed User Folding Team

Apple software being consistant wrt UI has nothing to do with this poor choice of RSS icon. I don't think it fits w/ any UI and isn't easily recognizable for anyone that knows what RSS is and IMHO very confusing choice for introducing new people.

17. NetRyder

A number of issues arise from the use of the term "RSS" on a button that's meant to symbolize syndicated content in general.

Firstly, syndicated content can be served in the form of RSS or Atom feeds. While there are similarities between the two formats, using the term RSS to refer to an Atom feed is technically incorrect since they are two different RFC standards.

Secondly, non-technical people tend to find it difficult to relate to acronyms. Asa Dotzler from the Mozilla Corp explained this reasoning in a blog post earlier this month:

Moreover (and this is closely related to the second point), the use of the term "RSS" on a button is not exactly internationally-friendly. The Firefox feed icon represents a broadcast (although it can be interpreted in different ways). It's meant to be a universal symbol that crosses language and script barriers - it looks and means the same the same thing everywhere, even in places like China and Japan where the script doesn't contain alphabets like "R" and "S"

18. SPeedY_B

It's just a fecking button!

Been using it a few days now, it's not adversely affected me in any way, I don't have SARS because of it, or anything like that.

19. NetRyder

That's basically all there is to it. Still can't understand what the big issue against it is. :D

20. X-Istence

They are. Ive never really noticed the inconsistency.