Two IP addresses on the same network interface

I understand where he is, but technology limitations exist world-wide.

Yes they do. I was refering to if he would get in much trouble though.

ejn74 said:
Yes they do. I was refering to if he would get in much trouble though.

I think Kc was more reffering to with his company...

:)

kcnychief said:
You are right and you are wrong. The Alternate Configuration tab CAN be used in the scenario where one can't be obtained, but it can also be used for an alternate network-type configuration.

This is NOT possible, again I say NOT possible, with one NIC. If you were using all static, you could. BUT, with DHCP enabled, you do not have the option of configuring additional IP addresses.

Well, can you explain to me how I can set my NIC for DHCP for my home network and assign my static IP @ work in the "altername configuration" tab and connect to both just fine?

edit: never mind, I think we are saying the same thing in that you can't use both IP addresses at the same time (one assigned by DHCP and one assigned manually).

Windows seems to make it pretty damn hard to add more IP addresses to the same NIC.

On my Mac, I can set up alternate configurations, and select between them, like at school I want to use DHCP, but at home I prefer to use my own static IP.

kcnychief said:
What program did you end up using?
A program I made in Visual Basic. Basically it just asks the DHCP server all the addresses (IP address, subnet mask, DNS servers, etc.) and sets them statically (along with the really static IP address :) ).

X-Istence said:
Windows seems to make it pretty damn hard to add more IP addresses to the same NIC.

On my Mac, I can set up alternate configurations, and select between them, like at school I want to use DHCP, but at home I prefer to use my own static IP.
You don't seem to need more than one IP address on the same NIC; just only one at a time. You basically want to have different profiles (or something like that) so that you can change the configuration quickly and easily. This is not what I needed.

pguerra said:
A program I made in Visual Basic. Basically it just asks the DHCP server all the addresses (IP address, subnet mask, DNS servers, etc.) and sets them statically (along with the really static IP address :) ).
So essentially, your not using DHCP and Static IP - you are using two seperate static IP's :rolleyes:

kcnychief said:
So essentially, your not using DHCP and Static IP - you are using two seperate static IP's :rolleyes:
Hmmmm... that's a philosophic matter. Technically I'm using two static IP addresses. But since one of them is obtained by a DHCP server, you can say it's dynamic. Or not? I don't know! :rolleyes:

Somebody told me another solution (more elegant :) ): once the connection is set to obtain the IP address automatically, add the other IP address by editing directly the Windows registry. It works!
The registry key to edit is the following:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx}

You have to find the appropiate interface (there's one for each network adapter).
The value IPAddress represents the IP addresses of the interface, which must be set to:

xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (this is the static IP address)

The value SubnetMask represents the subnet masks of the IP addresses, which must be set to:

xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (this is the subnet mask of the static IP address)

And that's it! The only problem I had is that NetBIOS seems to look for the other computers on the network with the dynamic IP address, so I had to manually add the other computers by editing the file lmhosts.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vinit
Back