The Mozilla/Firefox/Thunderbird discussion (Part 3)

I just looked and found that mozilla 1.8a2 is out and on the frontpage :)

woo yay Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7) Gecko/20040707 Firefox/0.9.2

Hey, I think I just discovered something tonight as I was upgrading to Firefox .9.2...

I've had some issues with the speed of FF opening and what not. This time I went for a full fresh install of FF, deleted all old files, etc. The browser was fast until installed the tabbrowser extensions.

It seems there's seperate extensions for pretty much everything I use TBE for, except for one, I can't find one extension that will add a 'close tab' button to each individual tab. Anyone got any ideas or know of one? It'd be nice to ditch TBE.

Also, is there anyway to delete the Bookmark Toolbar Folder?

dreamliner77 said:
It seems there's seperate extensions for pretty much everything I use TBE for, except for one, I can't find one extension that will add a 'close tab' button to each individual tab. Anyone got any ideas or know of one? It'd be nice to ditch TBE.

Yes, TBE does delay startup by a little bit, unfortunately. You can use Tab X to add a close button to every tab though.

As for deleting the Bookmarks Toolbar folder, I haven't ever tried doing it, since I think it's one of the most useful folders in there. But you could go to your Firefox profile folder in Explorer, open bookmarks.html in a text editor like Notepad and delete the code for the bookmarks toolbar. I'm guessing that should work. Make a backup of the file before you do it, just to be on the safe side.
smile.gif

if u find TBE slowdown the fox u can try TabBrowsersPreferences or Single Window........and most of the features of TBE u can get it adding code to your chrome file.........

dreamliner77 said:

I know that you can just go and click "view" on the upper tool bar then under toolbars you can un-tick the "bookmarks toolbar" and it won't be shown anymore.

gonaads said:
I know that you can just go and click "view" on the upper tool bar then under toolbars you can un-tick the "bookmarks toolbar" and it won't be shown anymore.
That would hide the bookmarks toolbar but it wouldn't delete the folder, right?

NetRyder, thanks for the link to tabX. Think I will be deleting TBE now. I tried editing bookmarks.html but i guess that the folder is recreated on each start.

TBE has always caused me problems, I have used it in months. I'm pretty sure it caused a memory leak on my BSD and Linux boxes.

It definitely has it's advantages and disadvantages.

Anyways, it's time for another installment of "Dreamliner77 asks another stupid Firefox related question."

In version .8 if I right clicked on a link, it had an option "Save Link To Disk."
Now I have "Save Link As." I don't like this because you have have to choose the folder, yadda yadda yadda. Before I could just hit "Save Link To Disk" and it would automatically save to desktop. (I do have downloads set to automatically go to desktop). Anyway I can get this functionality back?

Edit, Preferences, Downloads, Check: Save all files to this folder.

As I said above, that is checked.

All I want to do is get "Save Link To Disk" back in the right click menu.

can try the "download sort" extension. works a treat for me, you can set it up to save different file types to diffeent folders (and you don't get a file location popup thing when you select save as)

i just don't understand why they took this out of v.9. Or is there some weird setting I'm missing?

NetRyder said:
That would hide the bookmarks toolbar but it wouldn't delete the folder, right?

Yeah exactly.

See, I don't understand why he wishes to delete it completely. I figure that just having it not shown would suffice. Am I missing something as to reason why. Or maybe it's a "just because" thing? :confused:

dreamliner77 said:
i just don't understand why they took this out of v.9. Or is there some weird setting I'm missing?

I think it's just the wording. I do remember that it was worded different in 0.8

Maybe they assume that if you are saving anything, be it an image, link or whatever, you would be saving it to disk or a disk of some sort. So the "save as" wording is mearly to state, save the image, link or whatever as...

Maybe just for simplicity, maybe? Me thinks anyway. :)

It used to be that you could save links without choosing directories. It would go automatically to the directory you set for downloads.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back