stupidity update: Netflix suing Blockbuster

Discussion in 'Green Room' started by ElementalDragon, Apr 5, 2006.

1. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon The One and Only

just had to have the title say that.... cause it's the outright truth. Netflix is suing Blockbuster because Blockbuster's online rental service infringes on 2 of Netflix's patents. you'll get a kick out of what the patents are too.... they're a freakin riot:

are those not two of THE most broad covered patents ever? that's basically saying that the only way a company can set up online rentals is if they don't have a queue, and have a late fee..... which i don't think any company would EVER do.

http://money.cnn.com/2006/04/04/news/companies/netflix_blockbuster.reut/?cnn=yes

2. Grandmaster

Grandmaster Electronica Addict Political User Folding Team

True the patent system isn't working anymore. How would you fix it?

3. Admiral Michael

Admiral Michael Michaelsoft Systems CEO Folding Team

Quick, someone find a way to fix it then patent it! :p :D

4. lancer

lancer There is no answer! Political User Folding Team

netflix are just scammers, the longer you have an account with them, the longer they take to actually send you out a movie.

I eventually just started reporting all my movies lost then they automatically sent out my new ones much faster, eventually CS contacted me and i told them why i was doing it, now we get out movies in a couple of days instead of the 7 days it was taking before.

5. Admiral Michael

I just goto Blockbuster to rent movies, which isn't that often anyways. Don't feel like waiting.

6. ElementalDragon

should patent the way we open a door.... i get $0.25 every time someone infringes on the patent. lol.

and we have MoviePass from BlockBuster.... same as the online..... without the online crap. NetFlix gonna try to shut that down too? i'd like to see them try.

7. Admiral Michael

Um, Im just curious. Is General Hardware the best location for this topic?

8. kcnychief

kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team

This is pretty silly, I bet nothing comes of it.

9. Petros

Petros Thief IV

You never saw Burger King (or whoever started it) suing anyone else when they started giving free refills, or J.C. Penney when they started using price tags. Good service practices shouldn't be patentable. Were I the judge, I'd revoke the Netflix patent and order them to pay legal fees for the defendant.

The USPTO needs to get someone down there who knows what they're doing before lawyers stab all innovation in the heart.

10. Techno Child

Techno Child web{designer} Folding Team

lol... or the way to "properly put on a pair of pants" :D let's see.. theres how many people in the world? :D :D

11. ElementalDragon

Michael: 0.o says Green Room to me.... don't remember clicking General Hardware either...

Techno Child: i'm pretty sure that a LOT more doors get opened than pants get put on.

Petros: well said. it's funny to think..... that at this rate.... our lack of advancement in technology and other stuff like that..... will be what was created to protect said advancements in technology and stuff.

12. Techno Child

hmm.... never thought about that... geeze where is my brain today :D

13. ElementalDragon

or how bout a better one? patent blinking. every time someone blinks..... i get $0.10 lol

14. X-Istence

X-Istence * Political User

The reason they got the patents, was not because it was so broad, but because in the actual patents it specifies exactly in the last detail how it is supposed to work. Blockbuster infringes, they have the right to get sued. If the patent is proven wrong, then it gets removed.

As for the 7 day delivery time, my family has had Netflix for almost 2 years now, and we still get our new DVD's within 2 days of sending the old ones back.

15. lancer

then they must have missed you, because X-Istence, there is currently a Class action lawsuit against netflix for this precise issue.

16. X-Istence

X-Istence * Political User

Interesting.

17. lancer

18. Techno Child

drn it... you beat me too it lol, i was thinking about that the second i woke up.... :p

ok... lancer, i thought netflix was suing blockbuster.... how can the lawsuit be against netfilx :confused:

19. lancer

techno yes netlfix is suing blockbuster

BUT

Previously there was a class action suit against netflix, regarding all their customers not getting what their terms state like one day shipping, unlimited dvd's etc...

look at the link provided

http://www.netflix.com/Settlement

20. Techno Child

yea i saw that... ok... so that is a seperate case then