SP2 Information & Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
tiggerjmp23 said:
I'm downloading right now. The installation file is named xpsp2_rtm_enu.exe and it is at the site that you listed above. Is there some way I can check the version number without installing?

I really don't think this is real but you never know.

Oh, and the file is 272.4 MB according to Mozilla FF's download manager.
Be Aware this file is not I repeat not digitally signed as the good people at winbeta have informed me. Use at your own risk.

Why can't people just wait until the final release. SP2 isn't life changing stuff, well not for me anyway.

No more speculations, people. SP2 has gone gold.
smile.gif

http://www.osnn.net/comments.php?shownews=10773

one thing i cant find (not in remote desktop settings or even in gpedit.msc) is the ability too have 2 users logged onto the 1 machine (1 physical user, 1 remote desktop user both at the same time)

i havnt seen much info about this feature, but im sure i read about it a while ago....

cryptmagic said:
I have been using the corporate version of winxp for a while and would like to know is there anyway around winxp sp2's windows update disabling of corporate versions of xp?

I also use a corporate (VLK) version of WindowsXP. Of all the versions of SP2 I have tried, it has never asked me to activate and it obviously hasn't been deactivated.

If you do find it has been deactivated, I would suggest calling your regional MS Select Rep.

to FalseIdeasofLove

FalseIdeasOfLove said:
I am having this problem also, but with SP1, I even unchecked all of the programs in startup, and it still does this! Are there any other ways? I really need to get SP1 installed!

I had this problem. I went into the device manager, disabled all my drives but my c drive, as well as all my CD-Rom drives (including virtual drives), as well as the Secondary IDE channel. Don't know why it worked, but it did.

I'm downloading it now, but I think I am going to wait a few days to install it. I want to see if there are any major bugs that are going to be discovered (which probably isn't likely, but hey...it's Microsoft we're talking here!), and, plus, my computer is such a mess that I really want to make a slipstreamed version with XP SP2. I would imagine that previous tutorials on how to make a slipstreamed version of XP with SP1 would work the same, when applied to SP2, correct?

Melon

I've seen instances of compression schemes actually making a file *bigger* when compressed. The guy who did this was either trying to hide the file or really didn't notice when he made a bigger file out of it. :p

Or it isn't real. I'm almost done downloading it myself, so I'll check it out.

Melon

It's Friday night and you're in your 20's and you're here Patrick. You got barred from all the pubs n clubs?

I know, it's the excitement aint it, can't wait to get your hands on a squeaky brand new final released service pack. Wish you would take that boy Tittle out for a few jars and turn him into a Man.

Spose you're right melon, I have 100 megs of filters compressed into a 6 meg 'ace' with win ace. Some files do get bigger I agree, just have to be careful.

Ahhhhhhh I forgot to add a link to a torrent.
I don't like linking to another forum, but I spose we all work together to achieve one goal.

http://www.microbeta.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=5760&st=0&#entry63684 BTW it's 266 megs also.

Well, I can tell you right now why it is bigger. Opening the ZIP file, it is then compressed in RAR format into 19 split files and has one of those "warez" style NFO files in it with a CRC file. I don't see the point; it isn't as if SP2 is pirated anyway. It's free and this is the unchanged release from WinBeta.

This version is 266 MB uncompressed and is digitally signed. Looks like it's the real deal!

Melon

The version we are uploading just came down from MS and is 272.
I guess to comes down to bits and bytes.

Might go out tomorrow night :p

LOL...if it is different, I'll make sure to download it and compare (that is, if I'm "VIP" enough to do so :p ).

Melon

I also happened to discover this little tidbit about SP2, and submitted the news on the front page (but the last time I did it, it didn't seem to work...lol). Anyhow, if this is "frowned upon," please delete this post. I mean no harm from it, nor do I advocate piracy. But I figured it is worth reporting, merely because it seems that Microsoft has now allowed previously banned keys to install SP2 and use Windows Update v5. It has, apparently, only recently been the case, only with beta 2179 and now RTM 2180.

It was rumored months ago that Microsoft would allow everyone to install SP2, as a kind of concession to those who pirated the software, in exchange for making the internet more secure. After all, the theory was that pirated versions of XP would continue shooting off spam and worms, etc. But then the rumor was denied by Microsoft, and all the betas of SP2 blocked pirated PIDs.

But now, it appears that Microsoft changed their mind, and this article, dated for August 5, 2004, confirms it:

http://www.siliconvalley.com/mld/siliconvalley/9329718.htm

Microsoft senior product manager Matt Pilla said virtually all Windows XP users will be able to download Service Pack 2, regardless of whether they have a legal or pirated copy of the operating system. Research firm IDC estimates that about 260 million copies have been sold.

I also checked around on other computer forums. Many users have reported that this is, indeed, true. Keys that were formerly banned from using Windows Update v5 are now, indeed, able to run it and download updates from it, along with the 2180 build of SP2 able to be installed on non-640 PIDs. Can't confirm myself as to whether this is true or not, but thought I'd report on what has been going around!

Melon

I ammended the news post based on your submission.

yes that winbeta link is the real deal. I have the version from MS and the winbeta one. Files are identical.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back