Slowwww performance from SATA drive

LeeJend - Thanks for the post. Tomorrow I will backup the system, update the BIOS (save the timings), then will disable most of what you recommended (save the timings). I will then post the two sets of timings.

I won't be able to disable some of the programs (ccApp.exe is part of Norton Internet Security, IntelliPoint aids with the Mouse wheel, etc.).

Ssyprog

Some of the things you are saying to disable may mess up or cause the system to be vulnerable.

For example:
CcApp, "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe", HKEY_LM\Run

That entry runs Norton AV Auto-Protect and also the email checking.

I think norton itself could be to blame... its a serious system hog and could be causing major lag on boot.

I know if I leave the option to load NAV at boot it takes a long time to get into Windows so I turn it off after install.

Not sure about NIS but in NAV it is Options > Auto-Protect > Advanced

I then turn off the option to load at boot.

Attachments

• nav.jpg
    nav.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 62
especially if it's the latest version. UGH! installed that once after a reformat...... PC ran slow as hell...... reformatted and reinstalled again, and installed AVG instead. always loved AVG.

Ok, I've backed up the system, updated the BIOS (to the most current version), and disabled several of the startup programs. All of your suggestions has knocked over 30 seconds off of the boot time. Here are the timings:

Boot up timings after BIOS upgrade (numbers are in seconds from when the power was turned on):
POST screen: 12
IDE Detect screen: 20
Windows XP Logo: 33
Blue screen (Windows Starting?): 62
Desktop appears: 83
All apps up: 150

The BIOS upgrade has shaved 7 seconds off the boot time. Note that the BIOS upgrade re-enabled SMART (which originally shaved 30 seconds off the boot time - prior to my starting this thread).

Boot up timings after BIOS upgrade and disabling unneccary services (numbers are in seconds from when the power was turned on):
POST screen: 11
IDE Detect screen: 19
Windows XP Logo: 35
Blue screen (Windows Starting?): 62
Desktop appears: 85
All apps up: 124

Disabling unncessary services shaved another 26 seconds off of the boot time. FYI - I did researched the sevices LeeJend said could be disabled and found that most shouldn't be. The ones I disabled are:
Adobe Reader Speed Launch
ITunesHelper
Mimboot
Msmsgs
Nkvmon.exe
PhotoShow Deluxe Media Manager
QD FastAndSafe
QuickTime Task
RemoteControl
SunJavaUpdateSched
TkBellExe
Yahoo! Pager

With the wonderful help of the OSNN members, I've reduced the boot time of this system by 33 seconds.:)

From Steevo's post - I already run Adaware and SpyBot on a weekly basis, Microsoft AntiSpyware daily (deep scan), and NAV daily (full scan). I defrag regularly and fix file system errors monthly. Instead of running Crap Cleaner I delete all temp files and browser files about every other month. The system has been slow like this since I built it. I appreciate your comments and don't mean this to be a slight to you. :nervous: I will investigate changing the services you listed to 'manual' startup. I think I may have already done this for a few of them.

Another question for you all. I was reading about the Seagate SATA drive having AHCI capabilities. Can I change the BIOS setting from Standard IDE to AHCI without having to reformat & reinstall the system? Supposedly, AHCI allows the drive to reorder commands to speed up I/O's. Is it worth changing this setting?

Crap cleaner also helps by cleaning all unused file associations in the registry, thus in turn reducing load times, and keeping the registry small.

I had problems with boot times as my system would search for removable drives (WIA) on every boot.

I have only found 1 program loading on startup that wasn't a Windows installed run item that caused problems. So disabling or not starting certain things is not a bad thing most times.

You should be able to shave about another 30 seconds off your boot time.

Some of the ATI start up programs may not be needed (I don't use my remote control or the ATI video player so I don't load those).

The rest of the extra 30 seconds is probably the Norton suite but you are stuck with that until/unless you decide to change your internet security tools. As Aprox said Norton is notorious as a resource hog. I'm using zonealarm and AVG antivirus for security.

I'm confused. I never noticed SMART being active causing an increase in boot time on my systems. SMART is not something you want to diable. It can give you several days advance warning of a HD failure. Enough time to get a back up drive and save your data.

SMART can cause delays if the drive is possibly failing, and it runs a quick self test during those 30 seconds before it reports it's status back to the BIOS. Might want to consider getting another HD and seeing if you get the same slow bootup.

hmm..... i don't even recall hearing about anything known as AHCI. only thing i know of that i've been rather interested in that reordered commands to reduce mechanical wear, as well as slightly speed up data access, is NCQ (native command queuing).

NCQ works well. I have it on a set of maxtors on our server here in a RAID array.

Serves 1-2Gb of data daily in increments of about 100-300Kb. The drives can easily outrun the network, plus any use I have them on locally.

I use the Seagate NCQ drives in my pc. They are nice. :)

i'm sure AMD also can use NCQ. if hard drive manufacturers created a new technology for hard drives, but only specific CPU manufacturers could use it..... i'm pretty sure their business would start goin down the tubes really quick-like.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back