Preparing for Tiger

Discussion in 'Macintosh' started by muzikool, Apr 26, 2005.

1. muzikool

muzikool Act your wage. Political User

I've already decided to do a clean install of 10.4. Not that it's absolutely necessary, but it just feels good if you know what I mean. ;)

So concerning backups... what's the best method? I took a look at backing up my entire Home folder, but it's 24 GB and I was planning on backing everything up on DVDs. I'd rather not use 6 or 7 discs... should I partition a portion of the drive instead?

Also, what should I be sure to save that doesn't exist in my Home folder? I'm not really concerned with application preferences, as I plan on reinstalling all those from scratch anyway. I don't have a custom hosts file either. I can't really think of anything outside my Home folder, so I'm afraid I might be missing something.

2. Geffy

Geffy Moderator Folding Team

3. muzikool

Those are pretty good guides, though they assume that you are making a full system backup on a 2nd disk. I don't want to do that and don't think I need to... plus I don't have another hard disk. ;)

I'm most concerned with making sure I don't forget a certain file when I make my backup.

4. Electronic Punk

Electronic Punk Administrator Staff Member Political User Folding Team

Your pre-order didn't arrive already?

5. muzikool

I don't have it yet, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed! :D

6. Geffy

read the part about the Archive and Install, it will backup your stuff for you and then do a clean install... in theory

I will test it once Tiger arrives.

If you just want to make sure you dont forget anything then I would backup your home directory, and probably your apps folder and then maybe the /Library/ directory.

make sure you get all your . prefixed folders in your home directory as well

7. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.

Tiger is officially released on the 29th.

8. muzikool

Yeah, I read about the Archive & Install. It's the "in theory" part that makes me want to do a complete erase.

9. Geffy

do you have no other machine that you can dump stuff onto via SMB, FTP or some other such thing....

from what I have heard the Archive and Install method is the way that most Mac users update the OS, its apparently very effective and works well.

Still its a bit scary if its your first time doing it

10. Xie

Xie - geek - Subscribed User Folding Team

Yeah I'm in a toss up between doing a "archive and install" or a "clean" install. I just hate reinstalling all my apps/settings ...

11. muzikool

I don't really mind reinstalling apps and stuff. It's always been kind of enjoyable to me, actually.

@Geffy - I sold my old PC and just have the G5. My fiance has a PC laptop but I'm not going to copy 24+ GB over the network back and forth from Mac to PC.

12. Xie

Xie - geek - Subscribed User Folding Team

Be a good time to convince the lady friend you need Gigabit. ;)

13. Geffy

what are you planning to backup to then... just a bunch of CDs or summat

14. muzikool

Planning on backing up on DVD-Rs. :)

15. Geffy

should only take 10 to backup a 40gb drive, 75 or so for an 80gb one, could still possibly do a full clone onto those

16. muzikool

Yeah, I'll probably end up doing that with just my Home folder.