Pope John Paul II was given the last rites of the Roman Catholic Church late Thursday

Discussion in 'Green Room' started by VenomXt, Mar 31, 2005.

1. VenomXt

VenomXt Blame me for the RAZR's Folding Team

http://www.cnn.com/

sad.

2. Lee

Lee OSNN Proxy

Well he kicked the bucket according to yahoo.co.uk

3. Perris Calderon

Perris Calderon Moderator Staff Member Political User

4. Lee

Lee OSNN Proxy

They said 21:37 so as Italy is a hour ahead of the U.K. so 40 minutes ago.

5. Perris Calderon

the vatican was better equiped to handle the pope then most of the hospitals around the world.

6. the_music_man

the_music_man aka prodj88 =P

idk CNN claimed that a hospital could of given better treatment and care

7. Lee

Lee OSNN Proxy

He told his carers he didn't want to go to the Hospital from news reports during the morning, so he was ready to meet his maker I supose.

8. VenomXt

VenomXt Blame me for the RAZR's Folding Team

Re: Pope John Paul II was given the last rites of the Roman Catholic Church late Thur

just got the breaking news

9. Perris Calderon

I don't buy it...the very idea that the vatican wouldn't be giving the pope better care then a hospital just flies in the face of reason

10. Evil Marge

Evil Marge I Rule Political User

Re: Pope John Paul II was given the last rites of the Roman Catholic Church late Thur

I find it rather morbid that all those people were standing around in the streets waiting for him to die :speechless:

11. rotjong

rotjong Moderator

The Pope without saying it just boosted and promoted the idea that people should be able to decide how they will die. He decided to die at home - the Vatican. I absolutely respect the decision though I'm sorry to learn of his inevitable death.

That said, medically speaking a person in good shape that has gone septic has only a 20-30% chance of surviving. Once you throw in his Parkinsons and other factors the chance drops. I also believe, as the Vatican normally does, that far less real information was released than existed. I don't think I'm alone in thinking the Pope's condition was far worse off than they admitted even before he "officially" became septic.

I may have my problems with the Catholic Church as an institution but I respected Pope John Paul II.

I guess you and I see it differently. I saw the standing around of the people as more of a vigil. People praying and wanting to be present. People showing their respect.

Nontheless, there are many many Catholics around the world who have only known one Pope in their lifetime... Pope John Paul II.

rotjong

12. Lee

Lee OSNN Proxy

^^^^a wake^^^^

13. Evil Marge

Evil Marge I Rule Political User

I guess we do,to me it just doesn't seem right to be standing there for that reason :suprised:

14. Kush

Kush High On Life!

i though he passed away yesterday, it was on the news then people told me he was on a machine, whos the new pope now or what happens i dont know?

15. Perris Calderon

16. rotjong

rotjong Moderator

Right now the Church is in what is known as Interregnum. It's the state between the death of the Pope and the election of the new Pope by the Cardinals who are under the age of 80.

The Pope's burial must be dealt with beteween 4 and 6 days of this death and the Conclave - the voting of the Cardinals - is required to begin no less than 15 days and no more than 20 days after the death. The voting for the next Pope must result in a vote of 2/3 plus 1 of the present Cardinals.

During the Conclave no one is allowed in the Sistine Chapel other than the Cardinals and the doors are locked and sealed with ribbons and wax to show if they've been opened at any point. To deal with the more modern ways of spying they'll also likely sweep the area of electronic bugging devices, as well.

rotjong

17. Perris Calderon

yup...a meeting of the popeosity

18. jimi_81

jimi_81 Moderator Political User

35000+ people lining up outside some random man's house...a man who contributed absolutely nothing to society...then that is morbid.

19. Lee

Lee OSNN Proxy

You should check on the guys history he did a lot to break down communism in Poland.

20. jimi_81

jimi_81 Moderator Political User

hmm
    i wasnt implying the pope did nothing.

i was implying that 35000+ people showing their respect for an ailing man outside a house representing the beliefs of 1 billion people is NOT morbid.

i said 35000+ people surrounding a man who was a nobody is morbid.

i thought i was clear. i guess not.
    my apologies.