people who paid too much.

i'm pretty much jus like EP..... mostly cause i have no job and no source of income to buy a new computer every 6 months like the spoiled little overspending rich kid. Thinkin about tryin to buy a GeForce 6800 at the next computer show since i have a temp job startin very soon. should probably have close to $300, depending on how much get's taken out for taxes, in the first week if it's from 9 to 5. supposedly an easy ass job too. screwing electronic devices to the bottom of shelves in a new warehouse that isn't open yet. making $11 an hour. just hope it doesn't get TOO boring.

Although I think the guy is full of it ... I don't see anything strange about spending ridiculous amounts of money on your rigs. People have their hobbies, his happens to be having the latest and greatest hardware. People call me crazy for spending ridiculous amounts of money on hardware, but I and a few other friends consider it normal. When you think about it, it's a lot cheaper than some other hobbies out there. As for practicality, no it's not very practical ... but the point isn't practicality.

you know very well said Vern. People spends 10 of thousands on cars for making them faster all the time. hehe

yah, and they also spend tens of thousands of dollars on their cars to make them look heavily on the stupid side, and sound like a weedwacker

did anyone ask him why in his specs it says its watercooled YET has a gigabyte heatsink fan for his CPU?

he said it was a watercooled Motherboard. why....... don't know. only thing on the motherboard that MIGHT need watercooling, though it's standard cooling would suffice, is the RAM and Northbridge. Guess he just left the CPU out of it. and he calls himself a hardcore gamer. pfft.

This whole topic is so so so so subjective. What seems natural to some people may seem crazy to you and vice versa. What looks stupid to you may be a thing of beauty to someone else. I don't see why there is a need to get your feathers ruffled about someone with a differring taste. My father buys the weirdest things, and when I tell him that, he tells me, you have your money, I have mine, don't tell me what to do with my money, I won't tell you what to do with yours.

vern said:
. My father buys the weirdest things, and when I tell him that, he tells me, you have your money, I have mine, don't tell me what to do with my money, I won't tell you what to do with yours.
Sounds just like me with my daughter now shes working and earning her own money :eek:
I keep my mouth shut now :D

vern said:
Although I think the guy is full of it ... I don't see anything strange about spending ridiculous amounts of money on your rigs. People have their hobbies, his happens to be having the latest and greatest hardware. People call me crazy for spending ridiculous amounts of money on hardware, but I and a few other friends consider it normal. When you think about it, it's a lot cheaper than some other hobbies out there. As for practicality, no it's not very practical ... but the point isn't practicality.
While that's true, most computer hobbyists (for lack of a better word) would again buy the parts and build it themselves. I for instance could go out and spend an insane amount of money modding my car (assuming I had one that could be modded) but honestly I know very little about cars, so does that make me a car hobbyist, not really, it makes me a poser and that's about it.

This guy does have a hobby, it's called "Spending insane amounts of daddy's money" I'm not faulting the guy for buying the system, or for having money. If you've got it flaunt it I suppose, and maybe I've got the guy pegged all wrong, but I hate it when people who have all this money but know nothing go out and try to show up the guy who know's what he's talking about but may not have all the money in the world to spend.

Just MHO

it's not so much that he spent all that money or that he is spoiled, which I don't call it spoiled I just call it lucky, it's the fact that he is calling himself a hardcore gamer and telling other people they aren't...

the kid just has no clue what he is talking about. if he didn't want to build his system he could have gone the way of the AMD FX 55 which is far and away a superior processor, which isn't opinion it is fact. He could have gone without watercooling and saved money and just bought a better heatsink and fan if he wanted to overclock...cause the hs and fan he bought isnt' even the best one gigabyte sells...

there are so many holes in what he thinks is right that he obviously just thinks he a "hardcore gamer" cause he paid that much for an overpriced really good computer

heh. Tuffgong hit teh nail on teh head. Most "hardcore gamers" don't just love to play the game at the best possible FPS they can, but they also USUALLY love to be the one that built the computer that they are doing so on. granted, Alienware is a good PC (though you mostly pay for the Alienware name and the not-yet-on-sale case), you can build your own perfectly good system and spend WELL under half the price of an Alienware. He almost seems more along the lines of the n00bish hardcore gamer. u know, the one's that always talk s*it to you cause they killed you dozens of times over, but they wind up staying within eyesight of an Health + Shield regenerator (used that example cause that's what happened to me recently in dm_Lockdown in HL2DM). They always think they're so "l33t" or whatever, but they're really just little cowards with no skill that have to rely on the most ridiculous excuse of a tactic. For all i know he's the one i was playin against.

On top of that, he says it's not a matter of what's needed, but a matter of having the highest performance.... most gamers know that a game can only look so good before you're just spending money on stuff that's not even getting entirely used. he coulda bought a P4 2.4, OC'ed it to like 3.0, bought a GeForce 6800, and been pretty damn good to go with a nice framerate and good quality. Getting a P4EE 3.4 and 4GB of ram and all that other crap was a large amount of money wasted, as well as a bunch of stupidity that he could have wasted on something else.

Now it's funny. You guys have become the people trying to define what "hardcore" gamer is ... becoming what you claim to despise. It seems to me that by very definition, a hardcore gamer is a gamer first and foremost before enthusiast. While having money to spend on hardware may help with your gaming, it means nothing if you don't play not only FPS games, but all types of games. While you may be able to spend less money on something you build yourself, your options are slim. SLI offerings are still mainly offered using Intel chipsets and ONLY Intel chipsets just a few months ago. Nvidia's nForce4 while reviewed by many many sites have yet to pop up in any real numbers. Anyone looking to buy new SLI hardware now would know this ... I've been looking for AMD SLI motherboards for weeks. At the time of his posting, the hardware he showed was the best you can get with SLI. The FX-55 wasn't available in huge quantities at the time, and even now, newer high end gaming machines already use Xeons instead of the FX-55.

As I said in my first post, I think the guy is full of BS ... but in the process of trying to make him look like a dumbass, many people haven't come out any better ... at least in my very very humble opinion. Don't quote me on that.

Sheesh, that network is booming with....13 year olds. Something about those guys, they scare me....

Ok here's the thing, I just got Half life 2, and im running a Athlon 1.33 with 512 ram and a Gforce 4 ti 4200. And well whata ya know I can play half life with really no problems other then a little longer load time entering new areas. I play at 1024*786 with most stuff set to high and medium quality. HL2 is a sweet game and I can play it just fine on my 2 year old rig, with some minor upgrades of course. Such as 256 more ram from 256 and GF4 instead of my old GF2, and a new hard drive. So i dont really see the sence in going out and spening 6000$ to play HL2.

Oh and I built my own rig and have been a gamer for over 18 years

boy were you cruisin through the forums. you brought back a thread nearly 2 months old, just to comment on a spelling mistake?

Ok, one thing you have to notice is that the post on that forum dates back to before August of 2004. So back then the P4EE's were the top of the line. They were pushing ahead of the 64's but not for very long. Someone paid 7-8k for that computer? That's top notch sad. If anything, switch out the HD's from ATA to SCSI, then you'd have some good gaming performance. There'd be no HD lag then. And 4GB of ram I'm sure was 100% waste as he probably wouldn't notice the difference between 2GB and 4GB.

Either way. Look at that computer now... 6 months later and that thing is being beat by middle of the line 64bit processors like the 3200. Sure, his ram will last him a long time, that computer, video card, HD space and whatnot will last a while. BUT, it's worth less then half of what was paid for it by now. And he's bragging about it.

What I don't get is why he thinks that Alienware sells computer with the highest quality parts available. Sure, they might sell with some very good hardware inside. BUT, that doesn't mean that you can't go online and get better parts or the same parts for cheaper and just build it yourself.

Oh well. Some people just like to have that E-Penis factor as they brag away on forums.

That'll also be the person who screams "hacker" "Cheater" when he gets killed in a game by someone with a computer that's half as powerful as his.

I thought the biggest increase in productivity in the computer itself was going from 256 to 512 ram. Anything more than that and the increases would be marginal to almost imperceptible. Hold on I think I have a graph from Tom's hardware supoorting this...Of course I could just be wrong.

ShepsCrook....... that E-Penis factor comment just had me crack up laughing. You are probably entirely right too. he probably is the kind of person who get's all pissy when he get's killed. hope he don't run into me in any of the Gdawgg Killbox servers after the StunStick comes out. he'll REALLY be pissy then. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back