people who paid too much.

X-Istence said:
No man, it is not about the white cables and the aluminium casing, it has everything to do with the packaging.

The way the iPod is packaged is perfect, it is a design, the way the iBook is packaged is perfect awesome, it is not clumsy, can't cause you to accidently drop the damn thing while getting the foam off it.
The only difference is the outside of the package. Apple products come in boxes with fancy designs. The packaging inside is no different. My dad's Inspiron 700m came in a plain brown box, but the packaging inside would easily allow it to handle any falls/drops. My question is - after you receive the product, open the box and start using it, how often do you look at the box again, if ever? My packaging boxes are sitting folded up in the garage.

[fanboi=apple]And it is an apple, i mean common, who would not want an Apple display, just so they can proclaim they have an Apple display.[/fanboi]
Me. I'll refuse to buy it not because it's an Apple, but because I know that by buying it, I'm only letting Apple get away with overcharging its customers. I'd rather give my support to a company that makes technology affordable for everyone, while at the same time, giving me a display that beats the Apple display when it comes to real, tangible specs.

But in all seriousness, Astheatics matters for me. That dell screen you mentioned will not make it to my desk. My dad has one at work,and will soon be able to bring one home as he works from home as well, and they are ugly.
I'm not denying that aesthetics are important. Heck, if I were spending over $1K on something, I'd be more than happy to pay a little more for a product that looks better. The difference here is that the premium is not small. It's just unreasonable to any rationally thinking human being. If you saw the thread I posted earlier, you could buy two 2005FPW's, which also happen to offer better display quality (better contrast ratio, brightness, response time...things that actually matter), for the same price as a 20" ACD.

I could have bought two dells from the money i used to buy my iBook, but i care about how it looks. The iBook is not clunky, and not huge, it is iCandy.
You have to compare notebooks in the same class, X. The Dell your dad has is a few years old, and pretty much every notebook at the time was ugly. The black Powerbook G3 was nothing special to look at either, if you remember.
You say the iBook is not clunky and huge. What are you comparing it to? Desktop-replacement class x86-counterparts? Look at the Inspiron 700m - it's actually smaller and lighter than the iBook. Look at some of the Sony VAIOs - they're amazingly thin and light.

To me knowing that it is quality also helps. My friend has had an TitaniumBook, or TiBook from Apple, and that thing has taken a beating over the years, and still works without a hitch. Can't say that about my dads Dell that has recently been replaced with a Compaq. Cause the Dell gave up. (Work Laptop).
One isolated case doesn't really say much. I have seen those age-old black Dell and IBM notebooks running even today. A few of my friends still use them - they're PIII machines that are at least 3-4 years old. How old is that TiBook?

So yeah, i agree, they both do the same thing, both can display the same pictures. But in the way they look, Dell just loses.
You forget a very important point - I already mentioned it above. They might do the same thing, but the facts are in the specs - this particular Dell does it better (not saying all Dells are better). Maybe the Dell loses in the "looks" department, but there is a limit to paying a premium for looks - $500+ just for that is not a small amount.

now netryders post is the opposite of a fanboy's response...no insults, only facts and trying to compare with what people already know..

that was just for the person who asked what a fanboy was earlier...

people not educated enough

man! That is sad! He could have used that money to like buy himself his own LAN - a far more worthy spend than a machine that is more than he needs for the purpose he intends. I doubt if he would understand this - but without proper care and attention that machine will end up UNDERperforming worse than one that was tailormade to his needs! (EG Imagine how much he can frag up a 500GB disc, yet he could run better and faster with Raptor raided 74GB!).

People like him keep alienware in business.... *sigh*

hahaha and i thought i paid too much for my computer, even though i dont use it that much but i just like to have good quality :D .... but that's just insane to pay 17,000 for a computer, lol my high school was cheaper (12,000) i think

sraycoz said:
...i vote that he is either 3 or a lawyer.. cocky bastards...
lol i can't imagine a lawyer playing half life 2 and doom 3... i wouldn't hire him

Tuffgong4 said:
a fanboy is someone that if say you like Intel ok and you post all the benefits of Intel in a post someone...
no it's not you left out the S in fanboy....
NetRyder said:
You know, this is actually quite relevent to the topic of people paying too much AND fanboys...
fanboys= For, And, Nor, But, Or, Yet, So :p

see mainframeguy i am educated enough :D :p

And I thought I'd get smacked upside the head and told I'm crazy for putting a 5k price limit on a new laptop. :eek:

That thing looks like it could eat a roomful of computers for breakfast and still be ready to maul a few games.

NetRyder said:
The only difference is the outside of the package. Apple products come in boxes with fancy designs. The packaging inside is no different. My dad's Inspiron 700m came in a plain brown box, but the packaging inside would easily allow it to handle any falls/drops. My question is - after you receive the product, open the box and start using it, how often do you look at the box again, if ever? My packaging boxes are sitting folded up in the garage.

Actually, i look at it quite a lot, as i use it to travel with the thing. It is a sturdy box that can be thrown around by airport, and it fits neatly unto my suitcase and fills up space i don't use so everything is packed tighter, which helps my stuff stick in place instead of moving around and causing a mess.

Other than that i have off coure have a targus bag.
netryder said:
Me. I'll refuse to buy it not because it's an Apple, but because I know that by buying it, I'm only letting Apple get away with overcharging its customers. I'd rather give my support to a company that makes technology affordable for everyone, while at the same time, giving me a display that beats the Apple display when it comes to real, tangible specs.

Only reason they make it affordable is because their qaulity control is less. Ill get to that.

netryder said:
I'm not denying that aesthetics are important. Heck, if I were spending over $1K on something, I'd be more than happy to pay a little more for a product that looks better. The difference here is that the premium is not small. It's just unreasonable to any rationally thinking human being. If you saw the thread I posted earlier, you could buy two 2005FPW's, which also happen to offer better display quality (better contrast ratio, brightness, response time...things that actually matter), for the same price as a 20" ACD.

Depends on what you are using the screen for for that to matter. Better response time would mean you want to use it for gaming, and personally, i don't need a very bright screen. But that is a personal one.

If what you want to do is game, and have a good response rate, and would like your screen to light up the room as well as act as a screen, then sure the Dell would be a good choice.

netryder said:
You have to compare notebooks in the same class, X. The Dell your dad has is a few years old, and pretty much every notebook at the time was ugly. The black Powerbook G3 was nothing special to look at either, if you remember.
You say the iBook is not clunky and huge. What are you comparing it to? Desktop-replacement class x86-counterparts? Look at the Inspiron 700m - it's actually smaller and lighter than the iBook. Look at some of the Sony VAIOs - they're amazingly thin and light.

No, the dell my dad had was newer than my iBook. He got one of the smaller ones, not desktop replacement ones. He had it for less then 4 months. He travels many times a year, and it is not all to uncommon for him to have to get replacement hardware because it could not handle it. But this laptop had not been abused particularly, and one day it gave up. He got a new compaq, which is still working at the moment.

I was comparing the iBook to the Dells. Although i do agree the sony vaio is thin and light, and would probably beat out my iBook in the size and weight, the price on the smallest one which is the one i would want is $2,000. The cheapest is a hefty 8.1 Lbs and costs $1,494 (http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INT...page=static/notebook_comparison/index&nonav=1). Also note, that recently a lot of the new laptops coming out look quite a bit like the macs, with their keyboard placement. Ever since the iBook came out, manufacturers are moving their keyboards further to the back to give a space for you to rest your palms while typing. This is especially visible in the vaio in my opinion. (But opinions are like *******s, everyone has one :p)

Because of my prior experience with Dell hardware, even if they would have given the thing for free, i would not use it.

What i have seen from apple and not that much from companies that price their hardware cheaply is quality control. Apple's products work so well because they seem to check that every part works perfectly before it gets put into the computer/laptop. Sony does the same thing, but they have a less than perfect record with me when it comes to their desktop machines, but i would full well give them a chance for a notebook, as long as it can run linux. I might pay a bit more for the quality control, but i know i am getting quality. Qaulity control costs money, and since that can't come out of the companyes pocket, it has to come from elsewhere. The consumer.

netryder said:
One isolated case doesn't really say much. I have seen those age-old black Dell and IBM notebooks running even today. A few of my friends still use them - they're PIII machines that are at least 3-4 years old. How old is that TiBook?

TiBook: 2001 (http://www.lowendmac.com/time/all.shtml). I have personally seen old IBM laptops as they are more sturdy than a rock, but have not seen any Dells. Could be because it seems everyone has new ones. Or could be because noone i know has one. Or it could be my own ignorance.

That being said, Apple II still works. I know a lot of intel hardware that still works, same with AMD. What i pointing out is that a dell that is approx 4 months old died, when an TiBook that took more of a beating is still running smoothly. I guess you can call it an isolated incident. Will wait and see.

netryder said:
You forget a very important point - I already mentioned it above. They might do the same thing, but the facts are in the specs - this particular Dell does it better (not saying all Dells are better). Maybe the Dell loses in the "looks" department, but there is a limit to paying a premium for looks - $500+ just for that is not a small amount.

So you would go for an couch that has a horrible brown color, and looks bad, but is new instead of going for a nice couch with a more sensible black color, which is priced higher?

To some aesthetics is more important than price. But it all depends on what you are going to do with the end product. If you are gonna use the couch to party with, and it will have stuff spilled all over it, and others i would agree the brown couch would be the best bang for the buck, but if you want a good looking long lasting couch, you pay a price. (Bad analogy, make sure to rip it apart :p)

X-Istence said:
Actually, i look at it quite a lot, as i use it to travel with the thing. It is a sturdy box that can be thrown around by airport, and it fits neatly unto my suitcase and fills up space i don't use so everything is packed tighter, which helps my stuff stick in place instead of moving around and causing a mess.

Other than that i have off coure have a targus bag.
You know, with the $500+ I save on the display, I could get several boxes to carry it in that would probably be of better quality than the one you got?

Depends on what you are using the screen for for that to matter. Better response time would mean you want to use it for gaming, and personally, i don't need a very bright screen. But that is a personal one.

If what you want to do is game, and have a good response rate, and would like your screen to light up the room as well as act as a screen, then sure the Dell would be a good choice.
So better response times, higher brightness and contrast ratios in a display are less important than "looks." I'm sorry, but I doubt too many people other than Apple customers are going to agree with you on that one. Look at any informed and reliable hardware review - those are the specs that are considered to be most important while making a decision on which LCD to buy.

No, the dell my dad had was newer than my iBook. He got one of the smaller ones, not desktop replacement ones. He had it for less then 4 months. He travels many times a year, and it is not all to uncommon for him to have to get replacement hardware because it could not handle it. But this laptop had not been abused particularly, and one day it gave up. He got a new compaq, which is still working at the moment.
I'll repeat again - isolated case. I personally have 4 Dell notebooks in the household, one of which is the 5000e, a PIII-class system that's pretty old. All 4 machines are still going strong, and even the newest one of them is older than 4 months old.

I was comparing the iBook to the Dells. Although i do agree the sony vaio is thin and light, and would probably beat out my iBook in the size and weight, the price on the smallest one which is the one i would want is $2,000. The cheapest is a hefty 8.1 Lbs and costs $1,494 (http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INT...page=static/notebook_comparison/index&nonav=1).
...which is why I gave you an example of a Dell too - the Inspiron 700m. It's still smaller and lighter than the iBook, and costs less than the Sony VAIOs. Now you start to mention the price of the VAIOs - weren't you the one who said aesthetics can be worth a lot of money? Or does that conveniently apply only to Apple products?

Because of my prior experience with Dell hardware, even if they would have given the thing for free, i would not use it.
That's too bad, because not everyone has the same experience. Dell is the largest in the world for a reason. There is also a reason why almost every educational institution in the U.S. has Dell PC's in their labs. If the quality was so poor, I highly doubt that would be the situation of things.

What i have seen from apple and not that much from companies that price their hardware cheaply is quality control. Apple's products work so well because they seem to check that every part works perfectly before it gets put into the computer/laptop. Sony does the same thing, but they have a less than perfect record with me when it comes to their desktop machines, but i would full well give them a chance for a notebook, as long as it can run linux. I might pay a bit more for the quality control, but i know i am getting quality. Qaulity control costs money, and since that can't come out of the companyes pocket, it has to come from elsewhere. The consumer.
You're being too gullible to marketing talk, X. You can get a lemon anytime, regardless of what brand you buy. Remember the iBook logic board problems? What about the battery/power-adapter problems? And the new issues with the pink-tinge on the 23" ACD's. I'm not saying products from other companies are free from defects, but Apple is less than perfect too. Maybe Steve Jobs wants you to think otherwise, but he is the CEO of the company, you know.

TiBook: 2001 (http://www.lowendmac.com/time/all.shtml). I have personally seen old IBM laptops as they are more sturdy than a rock, but have not seen any Dells. Could be because it seems everyone has new ones. Or could be because noone i know has one. Or it could be my own ignorance.

That being said, Apple II still works. I know a lot of intel hardware that still works, same with AMD. What i pointing out is that a dell that is approx 4 months old died, when an TiBook that took more of a beating is still running smoothly. I guess you can call it an isolated incident. Will wait and see.
Yes, look at my point about isolated cases above.

So you would go for an couch that has a horrible brown color, and looks bad, but is new instead of going for a nice couch with a more sensible black color, which is priced higher?

To some aesthetics is more important than price. But it all depends on what you are going to do with the end product. If you are gonna use the couch to party with, and it will have stuff spilled all over it, and others i would agree the brown couch would be the best bang for the buck, but if you want a good looking long lasting couch, you pay a price. (Bad analogy, make sure to rip it apart :p)
Analogies. People on Neowin were coming up with these left, right and center too, and honestly, analogies are meant for people who have no real argument. The couch and the display are two very different products, with very different purposes - I'll let you think about that one yourself.

ElementalDragon said:
Onimkron, it IS water cooled. don't think air cooled would be very efficient on the P4EE either. probably also not very overclockable. either that, or who would want to OC a CPU that easily costs close to a grand or more USD. if he wanted intel, he coulda got a normal P4 maybe 3.8, and oc'ed it to probably like 4.4 or somewhere around there.

Damn, I should've read the full post before I made a smart-!%$ reply on this thread. Thanks for the heads-up :D

Sazar said:
amd leads in both categories now with their latest processors...

they may be a little slow in some areas of encoding but not much so...

overall there is really no going wrong with an a64 based setup... cheaper/quieter/cooler/uses less electricity/more future-ready...

Either way you go, you're good, but I'd definitely head with an AMD 64 based system for gaming.

1) ever see someone driveing a lamborgini?

2) ever see someone who knew what he was doing in a lamborgini?

1) yes

2) no

Evil Marge said:
I'm on a Dell pc that's 10 year old and still going strong :D
Thank you. That proved the point I was making earlier. :)

are u really marge? Thats crazy...i would of had a gateway that would of been going strong but when i first started messing with computers i kinda didnt put something back all the way on it and it blew up. It smoked all over and wont turn on again.

Has anyone notices he got the logitech diNovo Bluetooth Keyboard which has a mouse and then got a separate MX900 bluetooth mouse?

They also look like the exact same mouse.

TittleBitties said:
are u really marge? Thats crazy...i would of had a gateway that would of been going strong but when i first started messing with computers i kinda didnt put something back all the way on it and it blew up. It smoked all over and wont turn on again.
Well, they aren't idiot proof.
rofl.gif

Electronic Punk said:
I just upgrade componants :)

same here...

it is almost time to upgrade the user on my system soon...

almost past his sell by date on ebay... look for a listing soon

:cool:

i know net! I was just saying...it was pretty old and dusty. It took 5 min to boot up

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back