Overclocking my amd64 3200+

Murlo26, here are some links that may help you in yer quest for OCing your setup. One note, on the second link do read the section under "stability" (near bottom of page). It says something about a problem with four (4) Mem modules and setting all at DDR400 speed.

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=1734&page=4

http://www.tbreak.com/reviews/article.php?cat=mobos&id=339&pagenumber=2

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=1770&page=2

http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NzE0LDI=

http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NzE0LDM=

Read this one carefully, again info about four (4) Mem Modules and problems:
http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NzE0LDc=

http://www.amdzone.com/modules.php?...s&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=117&page=4

Now this is from another forum, but it is helpful (so it's allowed :p):
http://forums.anandtech.com/message...eyword=&STARTPAGE=6&FTVAR_FORUMVIEWTMP=Linear

Happy reading. :D

Thanks gonaads again for some good reading material. I read part of it, but i think the first thing i need to do is finish my overclock, as in not just do the cpu with the memory divider set to 100mhz, i have to get my memory, board and cpu all overclocked tonight, and then if i have problems, i will try and solve them, nonetheless thanks for the help.

Man talk about bad news...well some good news too. I updated my bios last night, ive been meaning to do that. And it actually gave me a lot more cpu volt control, i can go upto like 20% over, which is plenty.

However i ran into the same problem i had before when trying to raise the fsb in my bios. Whenever i change settings in my bios, i believe it is just when i raise the HTT, and try and exit the bios and save them, my computer stays on and just beeps, nothing is on the screen, its like it is stuck in reboot mode or something, and even if i turn it off and then back on it does the same thing. THe only way i have been able to cure this is to reset the cmos, thankfully mine is just a button.

This is a huge issue for me, i have no idea why it keeps doing this, does anyone know?

If this was an Asus Mobo, I could help ya, being an MSI and I havent used one.. cant thinbk of anything off the top of my head....

do a search on google for your mobo model and add the problem type you should get some hits..

I would also like to add that it seems my voltage raise in the bios doesnt work either. I have it set to 9.9 percent over or something like that, and that is supposed to give me around 1.53V and when i go into windows, core center makes the voltage what it has and that only goes up to 1.5V at the highest. So should i just disable core center on start up or what, i am completely lost right now, very angry, nothing is working right.

If core center is the software provided by MSI then I would trust it. Im not sure how else you could check your voltages. There are other tools available, but off the top of my head, I cant think of any...

Guys Ideas??

Murlo26 said:
I would also like to add that it seems my voltage raise in the bios doesnt work either. I have it set to 9.9 percent over or something like that, and that is supposed to give me around 1.53V and when i go into windows, core center makes the voltage what it has and that only goes up to 1.5V at the highest. So should i just disable core center on start up or what, i am completely lost right now, very angry, nothing is working right.

The memory can only be provided a maximum of 2.85V which is good when compared to other boards, but we would’ve liked upto 3.0V. Vcore and the nForce4 voltages can also be adjusted- VCore allows for a maximum of 5% while nForce chipset can be set upto 1.85V.

This taken from one of the links I posted.
http://www.tbreak.com/reviews/article.php?cat=mobos&id=339&pagenumber=2

Maximum CPU voltage is 1.55V + 8.3%, memory voltage is 2.85V and chipset voltage can go as high as 1.85V.

Taken from here (another of the links I posted):

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=1734&page=4

Core center is just the BIOS in a windows environment. So you can adjust the BIOS in windows as you would if you went into the BIOS before booting into Windows.

Last edited:
gonaads said:

Im confused, what do you mean by your post, it doesnt really answer why that when i set my bios voltage that it is different in windows, i believe it to be the corecenter doing this, it is the MSI product and it seems to be linked directly to the bios and screwing with the bios settings.

Regardless this is the lease of my problems, my problem is that my computer wont restart when i raise the HTT, even though i only raised it 3mhz.ANy answers?

gonaads said:
Also, try reading all of this:

http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=29&threadid=1513370&frmKeyword=&STARTPAGE=5&FTVAR_FORUMVIEWTMP=Linear

It deals with your MoBo specifically. It's a lot of pages, but it's a lot of info.
I am pretty sure i already read that one, i dont know what could be causing it not to reboot, even at everything stock, and my multilink lowered to 3x and fsb raised to 203mhz it still goes crazy, i have no idea what this could be.

Murlo26 said:
Im confused, what do you mean by your post, it doesnt really answer why that when i set my bios voltage that it is different in windows, i believe it to be the corecenter doing this, it is the MSI product and it seems to be linked directly to the bios and screwing with the bios settings.

Regardless this is the lease of my problems, my problem is that my computer wont restart when i raise the HTT, even though i only raised it 3mhz.ANy answers?

When you get to that threshhold of instability you can raise the HTT just 1 MHz and it will crap out. So if you are atsay... 249 MHz and it is getting a bit odd and then you bump it up 1 or 2 MHz more it will crap out. When I was OCing my sytem I had to reset the CMOS about four (4) times. Once you hit that limit, it's like a brick wall. No matter what you do, you will not get past it. Plus remember you are cooling with air. To go any higher you need some good liquid cooling. But you have to start adjusting your Memory so it all works together. You could push the HTT as high as you want but it will not work if your Memory is not co-operating. And don't forget heat. Heat will do all it can to stop you. Get into the BIOS (not through the "Core Center" but when you boot) and check your temps. You can also download Motherboard Monitor 5 and install it, run it and get readings on all temps. CPU temp, Chipset/MoBo temp, etc... and all your voltages too.

Basically, write down all the settings you adjusted and their values. Then reset everything to "default" and start over. This is one of the pains of OCing. You have to reset everything often in order to get it right. Just make sure you are taking lots of notes on ALL settings.

gonaads said:
When you get to that threshhold of instability you can raise the HTT just 1 MHz and it will crap out. So if you are atsay... 249 MHz and it is getting a bit odd and then you bump it up 1 or 2 MHz more it will crap out. When I was OCing my sytem I had to reset the CMOS about four (4) times. Once you hit that limit, it's like a brick wall. No matter what you do, you will not get past it. Plus remember you are cooling with air. To go any higher you need some good liquid cooling. But you have to start adjusting your Memory so it all works together. You could push the HTT as high as you want but it will not work if your Memory is not co-operating. And don't forget heat. Heat will do all it can to stop you. Get into the BIOS (not through the "Core Center" but when you boot) and check your temps. You can also download Motherboard Monitor 5 and install it, run it and get readings on all temps. CPU temp, Chipset/MoBo temp, etc... and all your voltages too.

Basically, write down all the settings you adjusted and their values. Then reset everything to "default" and start over. This is one of the pains of OCing. You have to reset everything often in order to get it right. Just make sure you are taking lots of notes on ALL settings.

I think you misunderstood my post. I am saying that if i go into my bios, completely default settings, and lower my cpu multi, htt multi link and memory, and just raise my fsb from 200 to like 203 it wont reboot. Everytime i even touch my fsb in bios it wont restart. That is my prob, i know i have to get everything to work together, but it wont let me alter the fsb at all.

I think the reason for your new problem is because you are lowering the multiplier. Sometimes lowering the CPU multi will have bad effects and not let the machine post. First, reset the CMOS and set all CPU settings to factory default. Not MoBo BIOS default but what AMD specifies for that CPU. Then reboot and make sure it will boot fully.

gonaads said:
I think the reason for your new problem is because you are lowering the multiplier. Sometimes lowering the CPU multi will have bad effects and not let the machine post. First, reset the CMOS and set all CPU settings to factory default. Not MoBo BIOS default but what AMD specifies for that CPU. Then reboot and make sure it will boot fully.

Well i suppose i could try, but i have had them at what amd specifies i believe, i had the cpu multi at 10 and htt link multi at 5 and everything works fine. As long as i dont mess with anything in the bios it works fine. I can even adjust everything, except the FSB, when i adjust the FSB it wont post.

Murlo26 said:
I think you misunderstood my post. I am saying that if i go into my bios, completely default settings, and lower my cpu multi, htt multi link and memory, and just raise my fsb from 200 to like 203 it wont reboot. Everytime i even touch my fsb in bios it wont restart. That is my prob, i know i have to get everything to work together, but it wont let me alter the fsb at all.

Sounds like your HTT is going over 1000, anything over 1K stabilty = poop

Murlo26 said:
Well i suppose i could try, but i have had them at what amd specifies i believe, i had the cpu multi at 10 and htt link multi at 5 and everything works fine. As long as i dont mess with anything in the bios it works fine. I can even adjust everything, except the FSB, when i adjust the FSB it wont post.

Post some screen shots of all your settings. That way we all can see what is going on and give some advice on each thing. I think this would really help, especially with the HTT/FSB settings. Just open up each settings window and then get a screen shot (Hit the "print screen" key on your keyboard and then open your imaging proggy and "paste". Then save it).

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back